[KA3/KA13] FIIO X JADEAUDIO USB DAC DONGLE
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #841 of 895
So I just got my KA17 from China to the UK, and extremely surprised that the multifunction button does not function as a "play/pause" button. Instead (apart from the other functions) it functions as a "mute/unmute" function. This is ABSURD! The music player continues to play in the background but the sound is muted. This has no practical functionality at all. FIIO if you're reading this please consider somehow adding play/pause - like the KA5, or allow the option to choose between mute/unmute (which nobody has any use for at all) and play/pause.

Also the volume controls don't seem to double as skip track buttons either.

Also the FIIO control app doesn't allow access to any settings like the ka13 and ka5, instead it only shows EQ settings.
It is also bugged so that you can't log into the control app at all as it demands that you open the EQ menu on the device first, and if you don't it won't let you access the app.

Also playing music after changing gain from low to high gave an extremely loud and uncomfortable static "pop" noise on my shp9500. It wasn't hearing damaging, but it was very disconcerting.

It's kind of broken at the moment. It seems like the app and user experience/button controls are worse in every way than the KA5, in addition to being larger, heavier, and probably using more power. Looking at official fiio online instructions, the multifunction button doesn't seem to even have an option to work as play/pause, or the volume buttons to skip tracks, which even the KA13 has.

It needs a firmware and app update,

edit: uninstalling and reinstalling Fiio control app has no changes - no options available for changing settings, only EQ, however it didn't insist that I open the EQ menu in the device before allowing me into the app. I am on firmware 0.84

edit 2: Another problem now. Saying "connection failed, please make sure this device is not APP controlled by any other phones. Or you may try restarting the device and connect again." It disconnected when I opened the amazon app, and won't restart even when I unplug and replug again. Getting annoyed now! Had to delete device and redetect to make it come back.

edit 3: another problem. periodically will not output sound from dongle when it's plugged in - randomly disconnects, when says it's connected. exiting the fiio control app and going back in shows its disconnected, and same problem as above shows.

edit 4: it just did another random static "pop" for no reason, wasn't even playing any music or doing anything.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #842 of 895
FYI, when plugging in the KA17, it doesn't appear to make desktop mode any louder or sound any different, so I think that the unit puts out the same power in desktop mode, regardless of if it is plugged into mains power or not, but plugging it in simply stops it drawing power from the phone. This is a sensible approach from FIIO.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #843 of 895
So I just got my KA17 from China to the UK, and extremely surprised that the multifunction button does not function as a "play/pause" button. Instead (apart from the other functions) it functions as a "mute/unmute" function. This is ABSURD! The music player continues to play in the background but the sound is muted. This has no practical functionality at all. FIIO if you're reading this please consider somehow adding play/pause - like the KA5, or allow the option to choose between mute/unmute (which nobody has any use for at all) and play/pause.

Also the FIIO control app doesn't allow access to any settings like the ka13 and ka5, instead it only shows EQ settings.
It is also bugged so that you can't log into the control app at all as it demands that you open the EQ menu on the device first, and if you don't it won't let you access the app.

Also playing music after changing gain from low to high gave an extremely loud and uncomfortable static "pop" noise on my shp9500. It wasn't hearing damaging, but it was very disconcerting.

It's kind of broken at the moment with worse functionality than the KA5!

Does it need a firmware update? Thanks.

edit: uninstalling and reinstalling Fiio control app has no changes - no options available for changing settings, only EQ, however it didn't insist that I open the EQ menu in the device before allowing me into the app. I am on firmware 0.84

edit 2: Another problem now. Saying "connection failed, please make sure this device is not APP controlled by any other phones. Or you may try restarting the device and connect again." It disconnected when I opened the amazon app, and won't restart even when I unplug and replug again. Getting annoyed now! Had to delete device and redetect to make it come back.

edit 3: another problem. periodically will not output sound from dongle when it's plugged in - randomly disconnects, when says it's connected. exiting the fiio control app and going back in shows its disconnected, and same problem as above shows.

edit 4: it just did another random static "pop" for no reason, wasn't even playing any music or doing anything.
@FiiO help needed

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #844 of 895
FYI, when plugging in the KA17, it doesn't appear to make desktop mode any louder or sound any different, so I think that the unit puts out the same power in desktop mode, regardless of if it is plugged into mains power or not, but plugging it in simply stops it drawing power from the phone. This is a sensible approach from FIIO.
Here's the official KA17 thread

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #846 of 895
I'm using the KA13 on both mobile and desktop. Would I benefit getting something like the fiio K11 (desktop dac/amp all in one)? (this is for an edition XS but I may get other headphones down the line)

I'm getting plenty of volume out of the KA13 even with desktop mode disabled. OTOH, I get plenty of volume from my mac M1 mini's audio jack, too; it just doesn't sound very good.

Will I get an appreciable jump in sound quality going from KA13 to K11? Or are the KA13 and K11 too similar in sound signature to bother and I should go with another brand? I don't see many dac/amp combo with 4.4 BAL under $200.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #847 of 895
I haven't heard the K11 but with how good dongles are nowadays you hit diminishing returns hard and fast. Unless you need the extra power and the different inputs, you're most likely only side-grading at <$200 for a desktop unit. For reference I have the Arya Organic and the flagship FiiO K9 Pro. The Arya has similar impedance and sensitivity to your Edition XS and sounds wonderful out of my KA13. Plugging them into the K9 Pro make me realize the KA13 is driving the Arya adequately, the K9 Pro is just more refined all around. If the KA17 is a noticeable step up from the KA13 I feel like it would be possible for me to sell my K9 Pro.

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #848 of 895

It's kind of broken at the moment. It seems like the app and user experience/button controls are worse in every way than the KA5, in addition to being larger, heavier, and probably using more power. Looking at official fiio online instructions, the multifunction button doesn't seem to even have an option to work as play/pause, or the volume buttons to skip tracks, which even the KA13 has.

It needs a firmware and app update,

Dear friend,

1. We will report your feedback about the mute/unmute function to the product manager for check first.
2. Most setting options which could be set in the KA17 are not added in the APP because of hardware limitation. You could set in the KA17 directly.
3. After exiting the FiiO Control app, the connection between the KA17 and the APP will disconnect, so you would need to connect again.
4. About the pop sound problem, is it the noise floor? Did you try another cable and headphones for check?

Best regards

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 20, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #849 of 895
Anyone else gets sound drop outs on Samsung Galaxy devices? I have a S21+ phone (Android 14) and S5e tablet (Android 11). During playback (exclusive USB mode, desktop mode off, light off), I get periodic sound drop outs, almost like the device can't keep up with the DAC or vice versa. This happens with both hiby music app and Tidal app. May happen with other apps too but I don't know b/c those are the apps I have that support direct USB access. Tried with the short USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the KA13 as well as a different cable. Changing the filter on the fiio does not help.

On the desktop (Mac), it's fine. KA13 updated to latest firmware 0.15

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #850 of 895
Anyone else gets sound drop outs on Samsung Galaxy devices? I have a S21+ phone (Android 14) and S5e tablet (Android 11). During playback (exclusive USB mode, desktop mode off, light off), I get periodic sound drop outs, almost like the device can't keep up with the DAC or vice versa. This happens with both hiby music app and Tidal app. May happen with other apps too but I don't know b/c those are the apps I have that support direct USB access. Tried with the short USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the KA13 as well as a different cable. Changing the filter on the fiio does not help.

On the desktop (Mac), it's fine. KA13 updated to latest firmware 0.15
You first try to give the playback APP enough power permissions, background running permissions. Also, is it exclusive mode?

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #851 of 895
You first try to give the playback APP enough power permissions, background running permissions. Also, is it exclusive mode?
yes, exclusive usb access. In app info > battery, I have Unrestricted selected. In hiby player, I have all volumes locked (volume controlled on DAC) and keep alive in background.

both apps added to "never sleeping apps" list in Samsung's Settings.

S21+ has 4800mah battery. S5e has 7040mah. Not sure how much power they give to USB port

wifi speed tested at 450mpbs+. doesn't matter b/c drop outs also happen with files in internal storage.

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #852 of 895
yes, exclusive usb access. In app info > battery, I have Unrestricted selected. In hiby player, I have all volumes locked (volume controlled on DAC) and keep alive in background.

both apps added to "never sleeping apps" list in Samsung's Settings.

S21+ has 4800mah battery. S5e has 7040mah. Not sure how much power they give to USB port

wifi speed tested at 450mpbs+. doesn't matter b/c drop outs also happen with files in internal storage.
Maybe you should try borrowing a friend's other phone to test it out. We tried the S21 and found no problem. But maybe the phones are different in different countries

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #853 of 895
Maybe you should try borrowing a friend's other phone to test it out. We tried the S21 and found no problem. But maybe the phones are different in different countries
Yeah mine is US version with Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G

I have a dumb question: is the little cable that comes in the package just a regular USB-C to USB-C cable or is it some kind of special cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back