K812 vs LCD-X vs HD800 vs TH900 vs HE-6?
Jun 3, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #76 of 89
Well
Has nothing to do with how the 009 may or may not be a technically more proficient choice and everything to do with mixing/mastering usage and the
exorbitant price a stat rig costs. If he can afford whatever, he should buy them all and use his own ears to draw his own conclusions rather than relying on anecdotes.

Someone may prefer a very coloured headphone (T1, Beats Pro) over a flat one (HD800, 009). Does that mean that you should use the Beats Pro over the headphone that reveals all of the needed information?

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #77 of 89
Well
Someone may prefer a very coloured headphone (T1, Beats Pro) over a flat one (HD800, 009). Does that mean that you should use the Beats Pro over the headphone that reveals all of the needed information?

I don't understand your point.

He wants to use something for mixing/mastering and critical listening. There's no preference for which kind of
sound is the most pleasing. His aim is for accuracy.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #78 of 89
Well

I don't understand your point.

He wants to use something for mixing/mastering and critical listening. There's no preference for which kind of
sound is the most pleasing. His aim is for accuracy.

If his aim is accuracy, then definitely the SR-009.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #80 of 89
Umm, alpha, measurements don't lie. A poorly measuring headphone may sound good through the distortion, but a well measuring headphone isn't going to sound bad, unless your tastes are different. True, nothing beats actually listening to the headphone in the case of personally finding the perfect headphone for you, but when you're mixing and mastering music, you can't have something that isn't accurate. The LCD-3 has less distortion in the bass than any dynamic, except maybe the Sony r10 (I haven't looked at those measurements). I really do not true your ears at all if you think that the Audeze line adds distortion in the bass. That being said, yes, there are some problems with the Audeze line, but bass accuracy isn't one of them.
T90 doesn't really measure well. That would be fine for just listening, but for reference, measuring well + soundstage, fit, comfort + open design is the best way to go for headphones.
Measurements sometimes do lie, brother.

Anyone actually listens to a Sony MDR-V6, after looking at the graph, would assume it had even less "bass presence"/"bass quantity" than a bass-light analytical headphone, for instance a K701.

But it doesn't. It has way way more bass presence. At any angle of seal/fit. And I agree Aussie have less distortion in the bass than most other phones, I've always praised their bass. But I honestly don't know how tyll's measurements show audeze having less THD in the mids than a T90 or MDR-V6.

Perhaps Tyll combining unspecified "noise" is contributing to this ? Perhaps his methods are only measuring for certain acoustic trouble angles in headphone design? And the extremely simple, "right angle" old school housing ergonomics of hifiman and audeze somehow avoid refractions at these specific angles ? Like they were designed purposefully simple to ace the technology-dependant test, but not fool the trained ear ?

Maybe there is some other unexplainable voodoo going on, but I'm not alone here, Audeze are extremely colored and have slightly more beautifully lush and rich harmonic distortion in the mids/instruments/vocals , when compared to the aforementioned dynamics. And it's not their totally rolled off treble, or slow/mushy/round/smooth "tube-y" sound which is fooling me.....

You can cite Tyll's graphs all day but I can show you other graphs by equally reputable sources showing all side se phones having more harmonics thru that vocal and instrument range.

Matter of fact, I'm about to.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #81 of 89

T-90 in neon green, audeze LCD-2, LCD-3, and LCD-X above it by a significant amount, thru a frequency range that is a very very significant portion of vocal and instrument range. The most important to fine tuning a mix I would say.

Yes the aides will have less THD in their well extended sub bass regions, but....
I use genelec monitors and a large acoustically treated room which has enough physical space in, to check bass response, because, let's be honest, sub bass waves are huge waves that need many meters to reach one full cycle.

And the reason I place little emphasis on harmonic bass distortion (in this thread especially), is because the thread starter will likely be doing the same thing (using hi-end monitors in a treated control room) when mixing and mastering his sub bass.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #82 of 89
MDR-V6, in neon green, Audeze open back family in remaining colors.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #83 of 89
I realize Tyll Hertsen's graphs are made using different standards, and show the Audeze as better in the sub bass and upper highs (well no sh!t, Audeze don't produce enough highs to even refract off the housing lol),

But my trained ears agree with the graphs for harmonic distortion thru vocal and instrument range I posted.

To return this thread more directly to its intended topic:

@OP, did you ever test the thread titles headphones and A&B them to your HD800's ?

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #84 of 89

Something makes me doubt how accurate these graphs are XD
I suppose the V6's have less THD than the HD800, K812, and the LCD-3, then.
I think this should conclude that the THD graphs in Headroom aren't worth looking at.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #85 of 89

Something makes me doubt how accurate these graphs are XD
I suppose the V6's have less THD than the HD800, K812, and the LCD-3, then.
I think this should conclude that the THD graphs in Headroom aren't worth looking at.
Lol, do you have a mental block, that tells you THD % thru a given vocal or instruments range, and headphone price/status, cannot and will never be inversely proportional ?

And keep in mind, this graph doesn't show he upswing of THD that definitely occurs in 7506's below 90hz-100hz. Which is quite huge, explaining why they have more audible bass than their FR graph states.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #87 of 89
Hello can someone help me with 2 things 1: How do i start a new thread, I am new to this forum and to any forum.
2: Which headphone is better for my preference: Sony MDR 1A vs Sennheiser HD 558?:

I will be gaming in rpg/action games and minecraft mostly and sometimes fps. And i will be watching movies. And I will be listening to hip hop/rap, rnb, dubstep and party sometimes only. So i want music,gaming, and movies. I will be using this setup both indoors and outdoors. The sennheiser costs $170 and the sony costs $290. I will be doing the foam mod for the sennheiser. Which is better for me? I will be using them on a smartphone and sometimes laptop. If you could reccomend any other headphones it would be fine, my budget is $300-400 max. Thanks.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #88 of 89
Well
Hello can someone help me with 2 things 1: How do i start a new thread, I am new to this forum and to any forum.

2: Which headphone is better for my preference: Sony MDR 1A vs Sennheiser HD 558?:

I will be gaming in rpg/action games and minecraft mostly and sometimes fps. And i will be watching movies. And I will be listening to hip hop/rap, rnb, dubstep and party sometimes only. So i want music,gaming, and movies. I will be using this setup both indoors and outdoors. The sennheiser costs $170 and the sony costs $290. I will be doing the foam mod for the sennheiser. Which is better for me? I will be using them on a smartphone and sometimes laptop. If you could reccomend any other headphones it would be fine, my budget is $300-400 max. Thanks.

Do you know that the 558 is open?
I hear the NAD Viso HP50 is really good around that price point.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #89 of 89
The problem is, what good is it as a really expensive reference if it has tons of distortion? I mean, it's better than the Ultrasone Edition 10 (The original Beats Studio was better than the Edition 10), but it's probably a much better idea to get a different headphone altogether, as the are headphones much less expensive than measure about the same.

Does the distortion interfer with the details or sound balance? Only the bass sounds warmer than it should. I'd say the Shure SRH 1840 is the flattest headphone around while it's also fast and detailed. Not on the same level as the HD800 ofcourse, but the HD800 is more than twice as expensive.

I prefer the Sennheiser HD800 (which is way more expensive), but by no means is the Shure SRH 1840 bad (every headphone has a flaw, there exist no perfect headphone). The AKG K812 also has bad distortion but I'm pretty sure it's quite usable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back