K712 vs. HD800
May 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HiSenn5

Head-Fier
Havin a hard time deciding which headphone I should buy next. Currently using a HD650 with a Lake People G109. The K712 is about 1/3 of the HD800s price (in germany). I've heard both, and they both were excellent, but 1400$ is a little fortune for me. Any experiences? Which one is the better buy? How about the comfort?

May 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I like the HD800 better especially with this mod:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

It is more dynamic and airy.  The K712 Pro is well worth it, but if you can save up the HD8000 will be the better headphone in the long run.

What music do you listen to the most?

What headphone amp do you currently use?

What DAC do you currently use?

May 21, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 10

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

It is more dynamic and airy.  The K712 Pro is well worth it, but if you can save up the HD8000 will be the better headphone in the long run.

Many thanks for the response. I should mention that it's for studio use. I'm using a UR22 along with a Lake People G109-S. Listening mostly to orchestral/classic and classic rock.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 10
  I am in the same boat anyone have both and can compare them?

The K712 sounded a bit dark due to the lowered hi-mids. Soundstage was way more centered compared to other phones (especially the 701/702). Lower mids aswell as a peak at about 9kHz were a bit too exaggerated on the K712. Overall very comfortable phones, like a cussion that you can sink in, but personally I didn't like that because I felt a bit claustrophobic in them (same with the K550). I returned it, the K702 is the better buy if you ask me.

The HD800 does everything better than the HD600/650 with one exception: They are very clinical/cold/analytical due to their high frequencies. The best way to describe them is: pure or clean, with an impressive low end and soundstage. Their sound is - compared to the K712 - clearer, with a more balanced sound signature (especially the low end). They have more high frequencies than the dt880, but are IMHO nowhere near fatigueing as the beyerdynamics. What really bothers me is their analytical sound signature: You won't get this famous HD600/650 feeling while listening to them. The HD800 won't drag you into the music like it's predecessors, but it let's you analyze the music. IMHO the perfect Headphones for Mixing and Mastering Engineers. If you're looking for just an fun headphone that you can truly enjoy, go for the HD600/650 instead.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 10

Im looking at both of these headphones. My current setup is s6 edge, running sabre android dac hifimediy into cayin c5 amp.

My music is rock. Nickelback, oasis, springsteen, arctic monkeys, stereophonics, kings of leon...

I currently use v moda crossfade wireless in my set up to listen to this music.

I now want to experience the immersive side to them bands. As though theyre close to me but i can seperate the instruments in my mind.

Im also looking at the chord mojo for my portable set up.

Will any of these headphones give me what im after??? If not, what will? Im pretty exhausted searching for this experience lol

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 10
Im looking at both of these headphones. My current setup is s6 edge, running sabre android dac hifimediy into cayin c5 amp.

My music is rock. Nickelback, oasis, springsteen, arctic monkeys, stereophonics, kings of leon...

I currently use v moda crossfade wireless in my set up to listen to this music.

I now want to experience the immersive side to them bands. As though theyre close to me but i can seperate the instruments in my mind.

Im also looking at the chord mojo for my portable set up.

Will any of these headphones give me what im after??? If not, what will? Im pretty exhausted searching for this experience lol

Grado RS1e. With the K7-- and HD800- it's like you're far from what you're listening to. Great depth and you can separate instruments without even using your mind to actively pick them out, including position (well, as best as it can be for headphones, still not speakers though), but they'll seem far from you. Especially if by "close to you" you mean you don't want to hear it like you're in the upper box not getting the full effect of getting kicked in the chest when the drummer stomps on the pedal, you'd spend that much money on the HD800 to get the exact opposite of what you want.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Don't have an HD 800 or heard so take what I will say with a pinch of salt, I heard a lot of times about the HD 800 being really picky about source and amplification. Can someone confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back