K712 owners HELP MEEEE
Aug 27, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #18 of 26
Those are the old pads and it doesn't matter which way round you fix them. They sound slightly less bassy than the newer pads. Protegemaniac's picture is spot on. They're the newer pads. My old k612 came with the pads that you're showing us. I replaced them with K702 new pads. Bigger sound.

I don't think the K712 comes with the older pads and it's not 100% round! There uneven so there have to be a certain way to put them on..

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #19 of 26
Joining the drama :)
If it can be of any help, on my k702 there is a pencil mark on the hole/slot of the pad that goes on the back side of the cup.

Wow, . . .  I've got those pencil marks on my K702 as well.  If AKG had done that for the K712 we wouldn't be in this crisis !!  

Can any of you guys show how this pencil mark looks im very curious

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 26

Joining the drama :)
If it can be of any help, on my k702 there is a pencil mark on the hole/slot of the pad that goes on the back side of the cup.

Wow, . . .  I've got those pencil marks on my K702 as well.  If AKG had done that for the K712 we wouldn't be in this crisis !!  

Can any of you guys show how this pencil mark looks im very curious

Mine is actually more like a felt-tip pen mark, not pencil at all !!

FWIW ~ my K702's fit better with the fat part of the pad down.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #26 of 26
  Here are some pics, can't really see which side is thicker and the pads don't have any marking on the inside:

Are you sure they were exactly like that when you bought them? How long have you used them?

There's a JBL showroom in my metro area (well, Harman) that had some Q701s on display and one of the earpads is backwards - the sales staff said that's how it was out of the box. I fixed it. Nearly two years later I passed by there as I met my cousin for katsu in the same mall, and by chance I had an X1 demo unit, so I went in to try the Q701 with it. The pads were mushed from use to the point that they were even. 

Assuming they actually had the angled pads instead of, say, the K612 pads when you got them, but you didn't notice that angle and that the factory worker put them in the wrong way, there's a chance that you've squished them through normal use, making the rear indistinguishable - like that Q701 unit (which I assume had the earpads fall off at some point and then they put them back on backwards). The HD600 earpads for example are symmetrical, but the longer I used them the more they took on the same angled shape since pressure is greater on the front given how the skull curves to the back while cheekbones and the jaws jut outwards of how the cranium tapers to the rear.

I wonder how AKG workers put them on or just shove it on randomly? Gonna email AKG let's see how they response..

If we're to believe the sales staff at the JBL showroom, apparently QC doesn't check if they put the earpads the right way apart from that they aren't loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back