K702's arriving today...
Jan 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Semus

New Head-Fier
I have a couple of questions regarding these cans...

I have posted my system specs in a couple of other threads, but those threads were not about the headphones.

I use a Logitech Z5500 surround sound system that gets it's sound from a SupremeFX-XFi sound card.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this system and how their headphones sounded with it.

I also have a Kenwood receiver that is quite old (about 10 years), and could possibly use that instead. The reason I bring this up is because I have decided not to purchase a dedicated amp right away and to test both setups to see if I actually need one.

Now, most people recommend using an amp with these cans, so I might eventually buy one. However, in the time being I wanted to see if anyone else has the Z5500 and to ask you if that would be sufficient with the 702's?

Right now I use the Bose on ear headphones http://tinyurl.com/793qx7g

I purchased them a couple years ago and have been pretty satisfied with them so far. I'd have to say that my receiver really makes them pump quite a bit. You can really feel the speakers inside rockin with very little, if no distortion. That's a pretty good sign for me, and that tells me that the 702's might sound pretty good with the receiver.

So, anyone have the Z5500 from Logitech that would care to comment?

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 7
To get the most out of them you'll definitely need a decent amp(and perhaps a better DAC). I used to run my K701's straight out of my Asus Xonar Essence ST(it has a built-in amp) and thought it sounded good... until I got a Matrix M-stage. That really gave them a needed boost!

I'm currently thinking of changing my K701's for some other cans though, since I find them a bit cold sounding and lacking some bass impact. Though when it comes to clarity, details and soundstage they are completely amazing! And that's also why I have a hard time deciding wether to change them or not
confused.gif

Anyway, it might sound ok out of your Z5500(until you hear something better), but it will most likely not drive them anywhere near their potential. I've tried my K701's from my Yamaha-reciever as well and it sounds like crap compared to the M-stage.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Ok I just got them this morning...

First off let me just say that I can really see the potential for these babies in a 100 or so hours of burn-in.

However, as you can probably imagine, they have a fair bit of distortion at higher levels through my receiver, and i know for a fact that the Z5500 is even less powerful.

So I am going to need an amp to run these things. Question is... which one...

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 7
I have decided to go with the E7/E9 combo.

I am even going over my budget with this combo and I am a bit skeptical.

However, I have been hearing some good things about this combo being the best bang for the buck in terms of starter amplifiers.

I hope that this combo lives up to it's reputation. I am not really a portable kinda guy, but the advantage of being able to port my headphones around is a nice addition, plus the fact that it's got a DAC is very nice.

Again, I am a bit skeptical, and perhaps one day I'll be able to afford the Matrix M-Stage. I know that I could have gotten it for around a hundred dollars more, but I was over my budget already with the E7/E9 combo so that's def a no go.

I have to say that these K702's sound like a dream so far. I can't wait to hear what they sound like decently amplified.

I really hope I made the right choice between this combo and the Hi-Fi Man EF2A. Apparently the EF2A is really not the bets choice for the 702's, so I chose the combo instead.

Someone please post to reassure me...

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 7
I got K 702's for christmas and decided to get the E7/E9 combo. So far I've been very happy with the decision. The extra power from the E9 helped bring out the lower frequencies. I too have a kenwood receiver from a few years back, but to reach a decent listening volume on these headphones I have to turn the volume to -45db minimum. And the sound isn't that great when plugged to the kenwood.

:edit:
I initially got the K 702's and the E7 for christmas, and while they sounded great with the E7 the lower frequencies were almost inaudible.
So now I just use my K702 at home with E7+E9 and use the E7 with my Q460 for portable.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the reassurance :)

I have been told by others that the E7/E9 combo is a great starter amp.

Could someone possibly tell me how to run the combo? I have see that you are supposed to run it in some odd way. Are you supposed to use the output on the E9? Or the E7?

I think I read somewhere that there was an odd way of using the outputs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back