K702's and an Amp
Jan 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #16 of 37
I guess I can chime in my 2 cents worth here. The AKG K701/702 from my experience of having them can be a tad bit hard to drive due to it's low sensitivity and low impedance.

Technically speaking, it's the low sensitivity that is the killer since the amp would need to give out more current to achieve the desired power that drives the cans given the low impedance. Which can get into a couple of situations where the amp runs out of juice and starts clipping OR the lack of excitement to the cans making the sounds go all over the place.

The LD MKV that I started off with gave it a pretty reasonable match.. but was somewhat bland. Tried it with the MF X-CANs and it sounded a lot nicer to me. Needless to say I am now tempted to open my wallets again. Darn!

To the OP, I would say, save a bit more. These cans are definitely worth the additional investment to get it to shine, or risk my situation of itching to upgrade. Darn!

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #17 of 37
... Spoon, Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, Sonic Youth, The Flaming Lips ... fine taste
wink.gif

Go for a Canamp, it seems to be the perfect - most popular match for yr. cans.
I´m using it with my K271 and it´s a great combination

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Spoon, Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, Sonic Youth, The Flaming Lips ... fine taste
wink.gif

Go for a Canamp, it seems to be the perfect - most popular match for yr. cans.
I´m using it with my K271 and it´s a great combination

Would the AKG K70X really be the best choice for such music types? Or does that mainly depend on how you want that music to be presented to you.

As for DIY options, if you plan on building it yourself then an amb M³ could also be a nice match for the K70X. If you let some else build the M³ for you then you usually end up at a much higher price point if it includes a nice case and other options. If you build it yourself then that should end up around the $200 mark, excluding the tools, time and casing though.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the AKG K70X really be the best choice for such music types? Or does that mainly depend on how you want that music to be presented to you.

As for DIY options, if you plan on building it yourself then an amb M³ could also be a nice match for the K70X. If you let some else build the M³ for you then you usually end up at a much higher price point if it includes a nice case and other options. If you build it yourself then that should end up around the $200 mark, excluding the tools, time and casing though.

That price also excludes a power supply. Note a sigma11 power supply with transformer will cost ~$200 excluding case.

An M^3/s11 with a single case and all the bits (knobs, wire, pots) will run you very close to $500 if not a little more.

P.S. I find my M^3/s11 with K702s to sound great btw.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

I like AKG sound for it´s neutral representation, especially while mixing with my K271S.
For music listening, the Canamp can pump the bass freqs a bit and soften the sharp AKG trebly signature. Of course, the cost is that you loose bass attack accuracy, the noise floor gets upped a bit from what you can really get directly from yr. DAC and you add more silky - slowliness to the sound ( noticed especially with reverbs ).
By the way, at least IMO, it´s a pain to try to pair cans with different genres of music. I choose clear neutrality ... and let the musicians and sound engineers choose the colors.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #21 of 37
OP,
your listening habits, mobility, and price range beg for an AKG K271mkII/K272 with an AMB Mini3 - The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier. i felt the K701 was decent with the Mini3 but unless if you're going to get a "proper" amp to drive them, i would consider an easier can to drive. i also prefer the K271 to the K701 for any music, but also think the K271 would be more suitable to your music preferences - the K701 could be brutal on your ears with indie, especially if underpowered. if you do consider the K271, make sure they come with velour pads.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP,
your listening habits, mobility, and price range beg for an AKG K271mkII/K272 with an AMB Mini3 - The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier. i felt the K701 was decent with the Mini3 but unless if you're going to get a "proper" amp to drive them, i would consider an easier can to drive. i also prefer the K271 to the K701 for any music, but also think the K271 would be more suitable to your music preferences - the K701 could be brutal on your ears with indie, especially if underpowered. if you do consider the K271, make sure they come with velour pads.

I love my K702s however I agree with fishski on it not being the best for some music. Particularly recordings that are less than ideally produced not just certain genres. I like my K702s with some of my rock, but it can be really rough to listen to some of the stuff that is poorly produced. For that stuff I grab my Grados

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my K702s however I agree with fishski on it not being the best for some music. Particularly recordings that are less than ideally produced not just certain genres. I like my K702s with some of my rock, but it can be really rough to listen to some of the stuff that is poorly produced. For that stuff I grab my Grados

if the K701 and Grado SR225 had a love child, it would be the K271
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the K701 and Grado SR225 had a love child, it would be the K271
biggrin.gif

Dude I have got to hear a K271 then!

What would happen if a K271 mated with a HD650?
tongue.gif

Sorry for the OT post.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude I have got to hear a K271 then!
What would happen if a K271 mated with a HD650?
tongue.gif

BOSE on ear

Sorry had to be said. You don't mix mix lions and tigers as you would get a cat.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like AKG sound for it´s neutral representation, especially while mixing with my K271S.
For music listening, the Canamp can pump the bass freqs a bit and soften the sharp AKG trebly signature. Of course, the cost is that you loose bass attack accuracy, the noise floor gets upped a bit from what you can really get directly from yr. DAC and you add more silky - slowliness to the sound ( noticed especially with reverbs ).
By the way, at least IMO, it´s a pain to try to pair cans with different genres of music. I choose clear neutrality ... and let the musicians and sound engineers choose the colors.

I'll be watching this thread among others as the OP has similar music taste and is looking at the same cans and wondering about an amp match (just like I am).

I'm quoting moonshake because that list bit is THE EXACT approach I am taking to putting together a headphone system. I've recently dumped my traditional "audiophile" hifi setup for a computer-based system and a pair of studio monitors. I want to hear what (or close to what) they heard in the studio. I'd rather appreciate (or not) how they chose to color/change the recording to get a sound than color everything myself. I've been down that road before and it bored me. But hey, that's what's great about this hobby!

Bill

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanke1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BOSE on ear

Sorry had to be said. You don't mix mix lions and tigers as you would get a cat.

That's not true, you get a Liger! No, really.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 37
Hey guys,

Hate to drudge this thread back up but, I've decided on the Audio-GD C2C amp to pair with my AKG K702s. What I'm curious about is, how do I go about ordering it? I went to the site and was fairly confused on the ordering process.

Also, how is the C2C in comparison to the Canamp?

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #30 of 37
hey zask & tdog -- next week came and went.

What are your reactions to your choice of 702-amp combo? I am seriously considering buying k702s since I was impressed with the 01 at the recent SF Bay Area meet. But have no adequate amp.

(I want the 02 instead of 01 if only because it has a detachable cable. I had to replace the cable recently on my k240df which set me back $70 (at AKG/Harmon), about what the cans are worth on Ebay.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back