k702, hd600, and headphone observations generally...
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bias

100+ Head-Fier
Just a few quick notes about these two and headphones in general.
Hafta say that the HD600 is more tonally accurate than the 702. From top to bottom, the 600 gets it almost, almost right (compared to accurate monitor speakers). The 702 is very good, similar to the 600s except in two main ways: a slightly annoying tippy lower-midrange ring (maybe around 1.3k?? to easily spot this listen to vocals (male) a capella and you can nail down where the 702 becomes a little strident) and also a euphonic quality that sounds just a little "hyped"; a little unnatural. The wood/plastic metaphor is appropriate. The 702's become markedly better, tonally-speaking, as they break-in. (this whole concept is weird to me: why designers are voicing transducers without considering break-in time...headphone design technicians in da house...please chime in...we know you're out there!) So, as you can tell I prefer the 600's (timbre-wise). However, I mostly listen to the 702's when wearing headphones. Why? Soundstage and imaging. Headphones in the best of worlds are so unnatural sounding. The conceit is even more apparent in cans that feel closed in and narrow. Yes... i'm listening to music all right, but the music is appearing in my head not in a physical space removed from myself. Obviously most multitrack pop music and, of course, electronically generated music represent contrivances that must be take in stride even on speaker systems. But acoustic music, like jazz or orchestra or even well-produced popular music (read: at least an attempt on the part of the engineers and producers to portray the song as if it is occurring in a particular place at a particular time) can be then articulated to the listener convincingly...at least through loudspeakers. I agree it's great to hear all those incredible musical details that even the best speakers miss (especially at low volumes) and I'll edit music and SFX all day long with the 600's (or a similar closed-back in a noisy room) but the suspension of disbelief that must be applied is too great for me when using the hd-600's and I turn to the 702's when listening to music just for the sake of it. Of course no headphone comes close to approaching the life-likeness of speakers; we can all agree on that; but some headphones do get it better and AKG, so far, has been more aware of this and their designs show it (k1000 in particular). The Holy Grail for headphones? How bout a 702 soundstage with a timbre resembling the hd-600? I'm assuming the hd-800 is the answer here and if the reports of the HD-800's abilities are true, it shows that Sennheiser techs listened carefully to AKG cans when designing their newest showstopper.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hafta say that the HD600 is more tonally accurate than the 702. From top to bottom, the 600 gets it almost, almost right (compared to accurate monitor speakers). The 702 is very good, similar to the 600s except in two main ways: a slightly annoying tippy lower-midrange ring (maybe around 1.3k?? to easily spot this listen to vocals (male) a capella and you can nail down where the 702 becomes a little strident) and also a euphonic quality that sounds just a little "hyped"; a little unnatural. The wood/plastic metaphor is appropriate.

I agree with you on the comparison. I haven't heard a K-702, but have a K-701. The K-701 has never quite sounded "right" to me, so the HD-600 (and others) end up getting a lot more head time. The AKG soundstage is much better than the Sennheisers, as you point out.

Have you tried the K-501? It has the same soundstage you love, but without the annoying slightly plasticky sound. Low end extension isn't quite what you get with the HD-600 or K-701, but the bass is there and tight. Just don't expect it to sound good with electronica; the K-501 is best with acoustic material.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 10
I agree with you about the lower mid, they start to smooth out at around 100 hours burn-in time and get better and better with time. The K702s are balanced in their own 3D way, and when you compare them to monitor speakers they do sound balanced.

You didn't mention the sound resolution of the K702 and this is probably what Sennheiser tried to achieve with the new HD 800. I just hope it's going to be a good match for the 702. I'm very curious if they can reproduce the depth of the K 702 in the sound image.

Conclusion:
I think the sound resolution and depth are the most important factors that the HD 800 needs to achieve in order to get into the same ring as the K70X.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k702-studio-393139/

Nice K-702 magic...

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a few quick notes about these two and headphones in general.
Hafta say that the HD600 is more tonally accurate than the 702. From top to bottom, the 600 gets it almost, almost right (compared to accurate monitor speakers). The 702 is very good, similar to the 600s except in two main ways: a slightly annoying tippy lower-midrange ring (maybe around 1.3k?? to easily spot this listen to vocals (male) a capella and you can nail down where the 702 becomes a little strident) and also a euphonic quality that sounds just a little "hyped"; a little unnatural. The wood/plastic metaphor is appropriate. The 702's become markedly better, tonally-speaking, as they break-in. (this whole concept is weird to me: why designers are voicing transducers without considering break-in time...headphone design technicians in da house...please chime in...we know you're out there!) So, as you can tell I prefer the 600's (timbre-wise). However, I mostly listen to the 702's when wearing headphones. Why? Soundstage and imaging. Headphones in the best of worlds are so unnatural sounding. The conceit is even more apparent in cans that feel closed in and narrow. Yes... i'm listening to music all right, but the music is appearing in my head not in a physical space removed from myself. Obviously most multitrack pop music and, of course, electronically generated music represent contrivances that must be take in stride even on speaker systems. But acoustic music, like jazz or orchestra or even well-produced popular music (read: at least an attempt on the part of the engineers and producers to portray the song as if it is occurring in a particular place at a particular time) can be then articulated to the listener convincingly...at least through loudspeakers. I agree it's great to hear all those incredible musical details that even the best speakers miss (especially at low volumes) and I'll edit music and SFX all day long with the 600's (or a similar closed-back in a noisy room) but the suspension of disbelief that must be applied is too great for me when using the hd-600's and I turn to the 702's when listening to music just for the sake of it. Of course no headphone comes close to approaching the life-likeness of speakers; we can all agree on that; but some headphones do get it better and AKG, so far, has been more aware of this and their designs show it (k1000 in particular). The Holy Grail for headphones? How bout a 702 soundstage with a timbre resembling the hd-600? I'm assuming the hd-800 is the answer here and if the reports of the HD-800's abilities are true, it shows that Sennheiser techs listened carefully to AKG cans when designing their newest showstopper.

I believe the use of "paragraphs" was taught in the second grade. Please edit accordingly, and resubmit

Thank you

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Always that K701 and HD650.. like if you would combine the two you would have the perfect headphone? I couldn't disagree more.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always that K701 and HD650.. like if you would combine the two you would have the perfect headphone? I couldn't disagree more.

Yep, the new born HD800...
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 10
We'll see...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back