K702 and Audio Interface as alt for amp
May 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Try the Apogee mini DAC or the Duet, and maybe you'll change your mind.

The Apogee Duet was my first DAC, with K701s.  Bad combination indeed, very un-musical.

Quote:
"Audio interface" from Weiss and Nagra are certainly not rubbish, in fact they are better than many so called reference HiFi DACs.

I was referring to cheap interfaces, such as the OP was asking about and I mentioned in my post.  I don't think he's interested in the high-end stuff, which I'd expect would sound a hell of a lot better. 
smile.gif

May 22, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote: Mochan
Someone mentioned the ESW9 -- I can attest these are very portable and sound very good, and have more than adequate bass compared to the PX100 straight out of your Nano. They are also absolutely gorgeous.

An option I am exploring today is the Phiaton MS300 or MS400. It looks killer IMO. But I have no idea how they sound. There's a review on Stereophile describing the bass of the MS400 as "primal" but there isn't much info on these cans to go on, and not too many on this site have experience with them. I am leaning to get the MS300 because I like its portability and one-sided cable. I'd get the MS400 if it had a one-sided cable.

That esw9 does look amazing im shocked i didnt come across that before. Apart from that bass, is the midrange as smooth as the px100s? 

And i must say that i too am fond of one sided cables. The px100-ii has a one sided cable as opposed to the px100 which made it that much more amazing..

So my picks might be either the esw9, m50, or hd595. All of which to me has promising designs. Id put the hd25 in there but its just too expensive and doesnt look as good.
Just to clear out though some of the interfaces mentioned use firewire and i cant exactly run that. 
dt880smile.png

May 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 21
Oh yeaaahhh much smoother than the PX100, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back