K702 and Audio Interface as alt for amp
May 19, 2010 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kerpuffle

New Head-Fier
Hello Im new to the high end headphone game and was recently looking to buy a K702 for home and portable use. Im just wondering if there are any differences between the k702 and the k701 other than the detachable cable? 

Also im sorry if it sounds stupid but i was wondering if its possible to drive the headphones with an audio interface? Particularly a Roland UA-25. Or a mixer?

Last question, will i be able to hear anything at all if i plug it directly though an ipod nano?

Thanks

May 19, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 21
Think that difference between k701/2 are just in colour and nothing else. Your roland would be enough for start , but high standards of head fi will probably kick in and you will start looking for a new amp in no time
evil_smiley.gif

Akg is not portable 'phone ! They are open 'phones and dont isolate sound at all , to big, need an amp with nano, but if you want attention on the streets this could be a perfect choice 
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 21
Ahh thanks loopfreak. Its just that the design of the k701/2 really caught my eye. I also have about 3 pairs of px-100 ive been using for about 4 years and noticed that if i upgrade to the k702 i wouldnt be able to hear that sweet bass and loudness the px100 gives. Is the Hd600 or 650 a better alt? Or maybe the es7? Thanks

May 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 21
In reality, you're not going to be driving your headphones (whatever they are) very well portably in that price range unless they've been designed for that purpose (IEMs/portables).

Its a bit hard to say, you may be satisfied with them? Depends how high you set the bar in your head :p

May 20, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 21
You own px 100 which is great portable open 'phone . If sound isolation is not an issue you can check hd 650 with Headstage Arrow 12HE amp, read that they have enough power to drive them well.

May 20, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 21
Only the ES7 is really portable out of the cans you mentioned.

The HD650 is just as "unportable" as the HD650. Though it's slightly better as it is smaller and somewhat easier to drive than the K701. I listen to the HD650 out of an E5 and I am happy with the sound, though I still prefer my home setup.

The main reason these cans are "unportable" other than their hard to drive nature is the length of their cables terminating in 1/4th plugs, meaning you need to use an adapter for portable devices that use 1/8th plugs and this adds even more bulk to the already bulky wire. 

They also don't fold to store away compact when not in use. 

You will miss the bass and loudness of the PX100 on the both HD650 and K701 if you go portable... but if you listen to them out of a good amp you will miss them whenever you put the PX100s on.

Not too many portable amps can really drive both properly. And even when I say "properly" they still don't sound as good out of my home setup. Only the Mustang really made me happy with these two cans on the go. E5 was ok but kind of gave me a headache after a while of listening.

May 20, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 21
You'll hear stuff if you plug it into a nano, amps are more subtle than that. You can get a K701/2 if you want, it's just that without a good amp you'll miss a lot of things, a lot of soundstage and instrument separation and stuff and so on... So you don't need a portable per se, just get something cheaper K271, K242, some of the Audio Technicas, really a lot... 

May 20, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 21
Oh thanks guys. It seems that from your posts that the k701 would require some really good amp, and thats something i would have to look on to. Besides i only wanted it because of its looks. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:Ypoknons
So you don't need a portable per se, just get something cheaper K271, K242, some of the Audio Technicas, really a lot...

Oh really? no amp required to sound good? Do the phones you mentioned have as good bass/loudness as the px100/hd650(amped)? The k242  seems to have more bass than the k271 so im leaning towards that.

May 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 21
I didn't mean that. I'm just saying since you aren't going to get a powerful amp anyways, just buy cheaper cans. I can't really say much for the K242, K271 unamped, last time I heard them it was out of a Phonitor... a very nice amp. Some of the Audio Technicas might be good without amps though. 

May 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 21
If you want a portable can with looks, just get the ES7 or ESW9 :)

May 21, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Oh thanks guys. It seems that from your posts that the k701 would require some really good amp, and thats something i would have to look on to. Besides i only wanted it because of its looks. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh really? no amp required to sound good? Do the phones you mentioned have as good bass/loudness as the px100/hd650(amped)? The k242  seems to have more bass than the k271 so im leaning towards that.

If you're looking for some bass there are a lot of good options to get aside from the cans mentioned.

Someone mentioned the ESW9 -- I can attest these are very portable and sound very good, and have more than adequate bass compared to the PX100 straight out of your Nano. They are also absolutely gorgeous.

An option I am exploring today is the Phiaton MS300 or MS400. It looks killer IMO. But I have no idea how they sound. There's a review on Stereophile describing the bass of the MS400 as "primal" but there isn't much info on these cans to go on, and not too many on this site have experience with them. I am leaning to get the MS300 because I like its portability and one-sided cable. I'd get the MS400 if it had a one-sided cable.

Other good bassy options for portable easy to drive cans are the M50, the SRH750 DJ (I recommend this), the K518 DJ all three of which stomp the PX100 flat when it comes to bass, and all of which are bassier than an amped HD650 (bassier in quantity, not going into quality here as that opens up a whole can of worms)

May 21, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 21
Just to add, out of an "audio interface" they sound pretty awful, mainly because most interfaces from M-Audio and others are, basically, rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back