K701'r looking for a portable equivalent. Tall ask?
Nov 16, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Stylus_K

New Head-Fier
G'day all,

1st of all I'm a bit of a newbie, so, forgive me...
I've managed to acquire a year ago or so, an Ergo Model 1 Amp and Transcend 'The Link" cables to run a pair of AKG K701's through my amp, an Electrocompaniet ECI-2.

I absolutely adore this combo at the moment, although a better source is in the pipeworks, maybe a Cairn Fog 3 Mmmm.

To the Point:

I've been running a pair of Shure SE530's through my Ipod Classic (gen 3 i think) for a while now aswell, and by comparison, the results are, well, a little boring. They're liquidly smooth. But they lack the detail, attack and 'trueness' that the K701's have. They're nice, but not for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable rig, that can approximate the K701 sonic character?

I listen to quite a varied amount of music, from Miles Davis & Cannonball Aderley to Foo Fighters, Killswitch Engage to Tiesto & Paul van Dyk.
Pretty much everything.

They can't be open backed, because i'll be using them around other people, on public transport etc. so either a smaller supraural cans, or iems would be awesome.

Audio Technica cans? or maybe UE Triple fi 10s? IE8's? SA6's?
maybe K271's?
something of equivalent value or less would be good

Thanks for your thoughts!

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 15
Well, i personally never heard the k701, so take my view with a grain of salt, but the er4p/s are extremely detailed and neutral, as well as natural sounding. FWIR, the k701 seems to mirror the er4 in terms of sound signature. Anyway, im sure there are many members that have experienced both the k701 and er4 and can give you better insight
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by majurglery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, i personally never heard the k701, so take my view with a grain of salt, but the er4p/s are extremely detailed and neutral, as well as natural sounding. FWIR, the k701 seems to mirror the er4 in terms of sound signature.

K701 ≠ natural sounding

(IMO)

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is your budget? You could take a look at the ATH-CK10.

well, I'm not sure what the parity is with different currencies, so I'll say generally around what it would cost to get a pair of SE530's, triple fi 10's etc.

Plus I'm gonna ask my GF's bro to bring something back from HK, which will make it cheaper. It's some sort of Can mecca apparently.

so that's two for my shortlist!

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 ≠ natural sounding

(IMO)

More Clinical really. Like a pair for ATC loudspeakers is what i've read.
Bad recordings sound BAD. Great recordings sound GREAT

very revealing as well.

would you agree?

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylus_K /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More Clinical really. Like a pair for ATC loudspeakers is what i've read.
Bad recordings sound BAD. Great recordings sound GREAT

very revealing as well.

would you agree?

Absolutely agree.

It's not a bad thing, necessarily; but they're certainly not linear. They have general frequency response that is tipped upward, revealing detail.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 15
There is the new ATH replacement portable for the flagship ESW10 or they also have a triple driver IEM available as well if you have someone going to HK that can pick them up for you.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is the new ATH replacement portable for the flagship ESW10 or they also have a triple driver IEM available as well if you have someone going to HK that can pick them up for you.

ATH-CK100 I think it was called.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 15
OK, So I do love the k-701s. There is only one IEM that I have tried that reminds me of the k-701s. Remember I have limited IEM experience. I now own 4 pairs of IEMs. The one pair that reminds me of the k-701s is the Bose in-ears. Sorry but that is how I feel! LOL

bose-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back