K701 with RAL Cable Upgrade
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dr.J

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

The stock cable on my K701's is too short and so instead of getting a cable extension, I've been thinking about a cable upgrade.

I've seen some stuff written about the RAL Cable upgrade and see it's available on Audiogon.

I'd like to hear from those that have gone through with this upgrade and would like to know how you feel about it, would you go this route again or recommend some other cable upgrade? Also, in your opinion, was the upgrade worth the money?

thanks,

John

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 12
My second pair of K701 is currently with Brad of RAL to have it recabled to balanced configuration using its pure cryo silver Paradise cable.

I already have one pair of K701 in balanced using SAA's Equinox.

As soon as both K701 is back I will see how they compare and report back.

My HD650 with RAL recabled in single end sounds stunning - so much as I sold my modified Zu Mobius, and my collectible RnB G52! In single end mode it also more pleasing than my second pair of HD650 in balanced + balanced-to-single end adaptor.

I do hope to compare these with AKzip's new version 3 cable. Unfortunately, this will have to wait until I can fill up my wallet again
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 12
vcoheda,

thanks for the link and reference. I've read through this thread, but pataburd comes off, at least to me, like a sales rep for RAL. The pic he provides is the same one used for RAL's web site, on Audiogon. So, I was hoping for more, independent feedback.

Thanks,

John

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 12
that was his headphone used in the pic. i think he was one of the first to get a K701 recabled. it is a very positive review. but i guess he just likes them that much. i know other people have RAL cables (probably more so for the Senns), but there are not a lot out there, so opinions may be limited.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 12
I have had the opportunity to listen to various upgrade cables in the HD600/650 family. For example: Cardas, Equinox, RnB52, Headphile Senn V2, Moon Audio Silver Dragon, RAL's, etc. IMO, the RAL does the best job in tightening the bass, extending the treble and lifting the veil.

I have also compared the RAL mini to mini to over 15 other mini to mini and the RAL has come out on top.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the opportunity to listen to various upgrade cables in the HD600/650 family. For example: Cardas, Equinox, RnB52, Headphile Senn V2, Moon Audio Silver Dragon, RAL's, etc. IMO, the RAL does the best job in tightening the bass, extending the treble and lifting the veil.

I have also compared the RAL mini to mini to over 15 other mini to mini and the RAL has come out on top.

I've entrusted my D2000's to Brad because of that mini to mini
icon10.gif

But damn, I'd probably have a heart attack if I saw the quote for a 3+ meter recabling job.

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He wants $340, I believe. Is it worth that kind of bread?

thanks,

John

That's for you to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back