K701 vs. DT880 vs. HD 650
Apr 14, 2008 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

voyaging

New Head-Fier
If you could choose between these three pairs of headphones, completely disregarding cost, which would you pick?

On a side note, I've been considering maybe buying a set of speakers instead of headphones. I know they are quite a bit more expensive, but I listen to mostly classical music (but not only), and I'm afraid I'll lose the richness of the music without speakers. Any comments?

I have about a $1,500 budget, with either headphones (and everything else I'd need, such as an amp, balanced cable, maybe shaker?) or speakers (with receiver, subwoofer, etc.). Thanks in advance!

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 40
See sig
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by voyaging /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could choose between these three pairs of headphones, completely disregarding cost, which would you pick?

On a side note, I've been considering maybe buying a set of speakers instead of headphones. I know they are quite a bit more expensive, but I listen to mostly classical music (but not only), and I'm afraid I'll lose the richness of the music without speakers. Any comments?

I have about a $1,500 budget, with either headphones (and everything else I'd need, such as an amp, balanced cable, maybe shaker?) or speakers (with receiver, subwoofer, etc.). Thanks in advance!

It's a give & take.. What you might miss in richness, will be more then made up for in detail retrieval/intimacy & bass quality depending on how good/expensive the sub is..

My HR-2 is very rich, lush, & warm.. It's a SS amp, but sounds similar to a tube amp.. That & the 650's would serve you very well. If you think the bass is a bit over bearing, I'd go for the 501/880/340 Only with a good amp to drive it though.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 40
I would see about getting a nice budget amp'd system and a set of headphones....

I would try and find a good speaker amp with a good headphone out.

That way - for $1500 you have have the best of both worlds. I would say to spend ~$200 on the k701, ~$500 on the amp, and $800 on the speakers.

As someone who has headphones and a 5.1 surround system, it is really nice to have headphones because you can switch how you are hearing it. The speakers have a much better soundstage and can balance really well, but the headphones bring me closer to the music and don't allow for distraction.

The ability to change the properties of the music just by changing the headphones is a huge advantage. I would say that my k400's are the best all arounders, but my even more vintage ath701's are really great for older recordings or chamber music.

If you have the opprotunity, I would highly reccomend the k500 and even the k501 if you are looking for classical. The k701's "stock" have some frequency peaking.

If it was me..... I would get some Stax ( for me its the SR-Lambda ), a T-Amp V2, silver interconnects, and nice speakers. Then again, not many people want to be "stuck" in electrostatics and they are not for everyone. You have to be a detail oriented person to really enjoy electrostats IMO. There isn't really an impact to electrostats and the low end is not as full as dynamic offerings in half the price range.

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 40
K701

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 40
If you listen to classical and enjoy a rich sound, the HD-650 would be the best choice. The DT880 is forward and can be bright and so can the K-701, but to a lesser degree.

The HD-650 is slower, a bit darker, but lush and rich overall. I'm not too up on the prices, but I think the HD-650 goes around $325.

I'd spend the rest on a good amp. Browse the For Sale Forum to see if a good one turns up - you can usually save 50% of retail or more buying used. Most amps hold up well, so you don't have to worry much about buying used. Also, buying used helps out fellow Head-Fi'ers.

Another consideration would be to commission an amp. One of the best on the market is the Beta22. All the parts for a 3 channel version would be $400, so you could get someone to build it and come in well under budget. There are plenty of other great amps worth considering, but commissioned/DIY models don't always get the attention they deserve.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 40
K701
If not for their slightly superior sound characteristics, then for their unquestionably higher build quality.
HD650's break easily, and look horrible after a short while, unless you baby them.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 40
Thanks for the help! I'm surprised by how many people recommend the K701, because most reviews I've seen put that below both the DT880 and the HD650. The headphone + speaker together option is intriguing, but I'm not sure if that'd be a good use of money.

Any additional comments would be appreciated! One note that might indirectly influence your recommendations is that I'm a HUGE perfectionist. I really want the perfect listening setup (other than spending loads of money). Just something that might help you guys. Thanks!

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 40
I have the dt880 and the hd650,and i have heard the k701 using my music and the best is easily the dt880!
The hd650 sound is all over the place,the k701,is not too bad but lacks feeling
The dt880 just has everything for me,it makes my music sound perfect and so that makes them perfect!
But thats my opinion,really you should try to test all three and make a choice for yourself
Its the only way you will make the right choice
Otherwise you will just spend silly amounts of money on different pairs (as i did)
Besides you can only use one pair at a time

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 40
hd 650 (320) + little dot mk vi (750) + saa equinox (300) + dac (various options).

i dont know what steely is talking about the 650 breaking easily. i dont know if he tosses them around with his dog (if he has one) but the 650s are extremely well built. with any good headphone, normal taking care will go a long way.

if you decide to go single ended, you can go with a much cheaper amp (if you like) and a cheaper zu cable leaving you with more money for the amp or maybe another pair of cans.

with that generous budget you have quite a few options.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd 650 (320) + little dot mk vi (750) + saa equinox (300) + dac (various options).

i dont know what steely is talking about the 650 breaking easily....

Hey Crappy

orig.jpg

Replaced by Sennheiser under warranty.

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back