K701 to Atrio M5: First Impression
Sep 20, 2007 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JiggaD369

500+ Head-Fier
So last week I sold my K701 due to the fact I will be commuting alot this semester and spending rather way less time at home so I decided I needed to get some good IEMs. After a lot of reading and research, I decided open the Atrios and I received them today. As per the instructions here, I burnt them in for about two hours and currently listening to them. All I can say is WOW!

I can gladly say (I'm no audiophile by any means) that I don't miss the K701s at all. No disrespect to the K701, by all means the greatest phones I've ever owned, but these Atrios rock! Hopefully it gets better than this due to the out of box crap SQ it offers. Without an amp, it sounds very well balanced and bass is unbelievable. Great buy for $150!

I wanted to ask you Atrio guys, which tip do you guys find the most comfortable? I've tried all and seems like the large foam tips they provide are the best fit for my ears as it keeps a good seal. But I've heard people having good results with Shure olives, Ety's triple flange, etc. but what do YOU guys find as the best fit and most comfortable?

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 9
have you considered other iems such as super.fi 5 pro, er4p or mylar crossroads?
what made you decide on the m5s?
also, where did you purchase it from? It says $199 on futuresonic's website

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, where did you purchase it from? It says $199 on futuresonic's website

There's a reputable eBay seller that sells them for $130, I believe. Someone can fill in details.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Tip-wise, I used the "reversed" Shure Olives (the thin end towards the M5) most of the time, and also used the FS beige tips (the larger ones) that come with the Atrios. Both are fine. I also tried the Ety black foamies, and they too work well. On a whim, I went back and tried the FS medium bi-flanges this week (tired of dirty foamies) and I have to say, they sound fantastic if you get the right seal. They are the best in terms of sound iso (for commuting), to my ears. Again, you have to get a good seal. Try all three flange sizes to see which ones work best. I am a convert for now, but haven't used the flanges long enough to see if they pass the test of time. Oh, you can also use Comply foamies, but the regulars are pretty fat, and the M5s stick out more with them. I wear mine down, not over the ear, but added a shirt clip from Ety (the ER6i clip, $3) and that really takes away the pressure and the added sound from the cable.

Enjoy. And they will get better with time. Smooth, clean sound, more like speakers than IEMs. And at $139, a bargain, in my opinion. Best of all, no amp needed.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Ety sells shirt clips that fit my Atrio wire, but get the ones for the ER6i, not the ER4P! Just go to www.etymotic.com, and check accessories for the ER6i. At $3, I bought 3 of them to justify the shipping cost. I use shirt clips with all my portable phones (PK1s, KSC75s, PX-100), to eliminate the "tug" and cut down on cable sound.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaD369 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So last week I sold my K701 due to the fact I will be commuting alot this semester and spending rather way less time at home so I decided I needed to get some good IEMs. After a lot of reading and research, I decided open the Atrios and I received them today. As per the instructions here, I burnt them in for about two hours and currently listening to them. All I can say is WOW!

I can gladly say (I'm no audiophile by any means) that I don't miss the K701s at all. No disrespect to the K701, by all means the greatest phones I've ever owned, but these Atrios rock! Hopefully it gets better than this due to the out of box crap SQ it offers. Without an amp, it sounds very well balanced and bass is unbelievable. Great buy for $150!

I wanted to ask you Atrio guys, which tip do you guys find the most comfortable? I've tried all and seems like the large foam tips they provide are the best fit for my ears as it keeps a good seal. But I've heard people having good results with Shure olives, Ety's triple flange, etc. but what do YOU guys find as the best fit and most comfortable?

Congrats on your purchase, Jigga. The Atrios sure are the polar opposite of the K701's sound. I never liked that prominent treble and lacking bass response on the K701 (or DT880, or Etymotics, ...) - I'm a HD650 and DT770 guy myself... and the Atrios are the HD650 of IEMs, in my opinion.
wink.gif

I'm using the Shure "Olives" since they're very comfortable, hygienic, and much easier to get a fit with than the double-flanges. Large Olives for my left ear, medium Olives for my right ear.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 9
I found the olives infinitely more comfortable than the Futuresonics foamies or flanges. The olives are made of a really dense, smooth, rubbery foam which you can barely feel inside your ear, but the Futuresonics foamies were scratchy. Plus the plastic tubing poked my ear painfully if I put them in too far.

Can't recommend olives enough. They also isolate so well that I can barely hear my lawnmower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back