K701+Essence STX no bass
Jun 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
Got a question. it seems like much people here has the STX\K701 combo like me. I'd like to share a real problem I find with this combo: the K701 bass.

While other cans trough the amped connector on the STX has healty and fleshy bass, the K701 seems to be too bass lacking. I know the K701 are bass bright, but there is almost no bass impact, and having a messy lows in higher volume.

I find those cans to be very non-gaming cans couse of the lacking of bass. In games, where explosions and stuff, the low-end has alot of distorations. when I'm trying to EQ some lower fequencies in the STX driver control panel I get even more distorations instead of impact. those distorations in games and stuff seems to get very stronger as the master volume goes up.

So what's the deal? does anyone has the problem as well? 

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 49
When I had the STX, I found the further I went up the headphone chain the less bass I got out of it. Anything that I tried over the Grado SR-80i sounded thin on it.(AD900, Ultrasone PRO2900). Personally I think the STX is designed to get the most out of lower-midrange closed cans. The sound signature of it is one that is a bit bright/dynamic. It emphasizes detail and cuts down on the bass. It's a very good gaming card with Dolby though, even managed to turn my Grados into a good competitive gaming can. But it has it's limitations especially with higher end headphones.

And whatever you do, don't try it with the AD900. I swear with that combo the low end was rolled off well into the midrange. It made for a very thin, harsh, and grainy sound. ouch!

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 49
hey, on the stx, follow these steps in the menu, press the music setting button, turn on the surround and put it on a small room, now go to the positioning tab, an press the turn button for half a second, you now how 2x the bass of what u had, (sorry if i'm not being clear enough) i don't have acces to the menu right now since my desktop broke down. if you can't figure it out, message me!

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 49
Thanks teddy and 3X0, but I start to think that maybe the STX can't amp the K701 well...

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 49
Is there another STX\K701 users who can relate?

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 49
I guess you're using the built in amplification of the stx
Have you tried to set the gain to +18db in the menu to check if it makes a difference ?

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 49
Nope, no difference between high and extrerme gain exepct for the volume.
Well, I'm planning on getting an amp... I just wanna know if I'm the only one who has this lack of bass and disturations in the low-ends in explosions (in games) or high volume music (40% volume+).

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 49
Yeah. I'm trying to raise the 30hz to about 80%. in certain songs it has to make more impact and weight, but in alot songs who has more low-end the lowest bass sounds messy\disturbed, as I said.
you just could say that with the STX the K701 has no bass impact and no weight to the bass.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 49
I don't get why I has to EQ this way. can't the STX amp the K701 well? if so, It's fine, I just wanna know that my K701 are fine and identical to the others. how would you describe the K701 bass over the STX vs over a proper amp?

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 49
Is there another STX\K701 users who can relate?

I personally didn't had such problems with STX + Q701 combo (tested for fun) but my STX is running on custom OPAMPs, not on stock ones. Amount of bass was OK for me.

K701 are not heavy bass oriented headphones in the first place. Before you'll describe them as bass lacking, maybe you should give them a try on some more expensive setups (at your friend house for example, of course if you have a chance).

Built-in TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier is maybe not the best match for K/Q701, but should be enough to drive them for the beginning. What is more, with OPAMP customization you can squeeze huge potential from ST/STX cards, especially through RCA outputs*. So before you'll buy external amplifier, be sure to check it out, even for fun - you'll be surprised. 

*on various gear I could acquire sound quality and signature close to Icon HDP.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:
I don't get why I has to EQ this way. can't the STX amp the K701 well? if so, It's fine, I just wanna know that my K701 are fine and identical to the others. how would you describe the K701 bass over the STX vs over a proper amp?

Because it's how you EQ.  You're doing the same thing as raising the 30hz by 8db this way, only you don't run the risk of clipping and you have to compensate by pushing more juice into the headphone with the amp.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

I personally didn't had such problems with STX + Q701 combo (tested for fun) but my STX is running on custom OPAMPs, not on stock ones. Amount of bass was OK for me.

K701 are not heavy bass oriented headphones in the first place. Before you'll describe them as bass lacking, maybe you should give them a try on some more expensive setups (at your friend house for example, of course if you have a chance).

Built-in TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier is maybe not the best match for K/Q701, but should be enough to drive them for the beginning. What is more, with OPAMP customization you can squeeze huge potential from ST/STX cards, especially through RCA outputs*. So before you'll buy external amplifier, be sure to check it out, even for fun - you'll be surprised. 

*on various gear I could acquire sound quality and signature close to Icon HDP.

Is there a good OPAMP you can recommend as a replacement for the built-in one?
By the way, you can't compare Q701 to K701 in terms of bass- the Q701 are known to have more bass than the classic K701.

TMRaven, got you, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back