K701; drums sound like toy drums...source problem?
Sep 24, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Same here! Now at least we know there are only two good K701s around.

and just think . . . if they are the only 2 good pair . . . they must be worth [size=small]gazillion$![/size]
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #32 of 47
This is quite disappointing. What's the possibility of 3 good sounding sets?
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
This is quite disappointing. What's the possibility of 3 good sounding sets?
tongue.gif

. . . . there goes the value
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #34 of 47
Lol. Don't start worrying just yet. Mine haven't arrived yet. You still have a sporting chance don't you?
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #35 of 47
I have the PA2v2 and the k701. I never pair them together. While it's not bad, it's a very mediocre combo. A Hornet or something similar would be much better.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #36 of 47
Wow, I come home and you guys are still talking about this. Thanks for all your replies.

Would a Total Airhead/Bithead suffice? I doubt I can push into getting a Hornet this Christmas due to low budget.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Wow, I come home and you guys are still talking about this. Thanks for all your replies.

Would a Total Airhead/Bithead suffice? I doubt I can push into getting a Hornet this Christmas due to low budget.

I would snag a PINT from the FS forums I was you. The Amp forum is raving about the PINT again, so take a gander if you want to learn more about the amp.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
I would snag a PINT from the FS forums I was you. The Amp forum is raving about the PINT again, so take a gander if you want to learn more about the amp.

One guy raving about a product does not make "the amp forum raving about it", and indeed if it sounds as they claim, I have seen a ver few ravings about it, and there should be a lot more ravings, just to be on the fair side. Just as an example, and using the same amp that raving member used there, as a comparison, if it sounds better than the hornet as they claim, the hornet had enjoyed of far more raves, and a lot more better reviews in the amp forum...but at that price the PINT sale for, is really hard to stay quiet....
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #39 of 47
I don't think it's possible to fix your K701 "toy drum" issue by swapping the amp - IME that's just how the K701 is. If you want a headphone that digs into the music to deliver true power, you need the mean audio machine that is the AD2000.
biggrin.gif

(If you want to try the K701 with other amps though, by all means go for it. It loves tubes and hybrids.)

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
I have the PA2v2 and the k701. I never pair them together. While it's not bad, it's a very mediocre combo. A Hornet or something similar would be much better.

I also have the PA2v2 and k701 and, to my ears too, they dont go together well. Its my least favourite combination, they just sound "muddy" together.

Sorry Lisa, but I have the fourth (and lets hope final to keep the values up) good set of k701's.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 47
The K701 is a very good headphone but revealing of upstream components. They aren't going to give optimal performance with budget gear, I think this is probably the cause of a fair few complaints on head-fi. They strike me as being quite power hungry as well, AT's can easily run unamped by comparison (though they wouldn't really perform to their best).

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #44 of 47
Tried the 701s with my broken-in Portaphile maxxed and my Supermacro III v6 and found them to be beautiful and spacious. Also using 5g Ipod with Pocketdock Silver Dragon lineout cabling. So, yeah, your amp and lack of lineout connex could be the issue. Dunno.

Also run the Ipod with no equalization. Hope this helps and sorry if I suggest dropping bucks on amps and cabling.
blink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #45 of 47
Oh woah...my K701's sound the same (or close to it) straight through my iPod instead of through the PA2V2. Maybe even better...

Just realized that
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back