K701 - cold? And how do I warm them up?
May 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

jzono1

Head-Fier
Describing sound by words is hard. But let me try:

I got three setups - K701 with practical devices xm4 ss amp, DIY Voigt horns with a DIY upscale darling amp, and a cheap-cheap livingroom setup with dynavoice f6's and a t-amp.

It is as if there's something missing in the sound with the headphone setup.

The tube rig is as expected, warm & nice, with extremely controlled bass. There's a presence and straightforwardness that I just can't match with anyhing else. It's like I'm listening to someone playing music right there & then, not a recording. As far as I'm concerned: that's pretty close to perfection. Being able to just sit back and be sucked in.

The dynavoice setup is suprisingly good. It shouldn't be possible to get this good sound with that low a pricetag (40$ amp, 150$ speakers.) It has the same warmth as the tube rig. Detail lacks, but that's probably the combination of cheap source + speakers.

Now, when it comes to the headphones - revealing. Cold. Analytical. Awesome in their own way. But it is as if something is missing. Especially noticeable with female singers. I think what I miss is the warmth of the mentioned speaker rigs. At times voices and sounds end up sounding hollow. I love the wide sounstage, the fact that no detail is left behind, neat both for games and movies.

But onto the whole lack of warmth: To give a couple of specific examples: The clapping on Queen's "We Will Rock You" sounds hollow. On Dido's "Mary's In India" it sounds as if the hope entirely gone from her voice. On Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall(Part 2)" I suspect my K701's of slaughtering half the boy choir.

Is it warmth I'm lacking?

Could it be underamping?

I got a Millet starving student amp with half the wiring done waiting on my table. Could it give my K701's some warmth?

May 16, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 48
Quote:

I got a Millet starving student amp with half the wiring done waiting on my table. Could it give my K701's some warmth?

yes.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 48
The easiest way to add warmth to any headphone is to EQ. Bump up the frequencies around 150-200hz. You may or may not like the end result.

May 16, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 48
The K701 is a headphone that does a few things really well, but for the music you mentioned, I don't think you are going to have much luck getting what you what from these cans. They do like a powerful amp to drive them but amps won't change their inherently lean bass and lower midrange response.

IMO they are ideal for folk/acoustic and classical. For Floyd or Queen I recommend the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650, the former being brighter and more "rock" oriented.

May 16, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 48
The best suggestion for people that start off not liking the coldness of the k701 sound is to get rid of them. No amount of burn in gets them sounding warm in my experience. Sound on my 2 amps were also slightly different from each other but never fixed the coldness of the sound.

May 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 48
That's it. I've heard enough to turn me off from the k701s. Looks like the HD650s for me.

May 16, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best suggestion for people that start off not liking the coldness of the k701 sound is to get rid of them. No amount of burn in gets them sounding warm in my experience. Sound on my 2 amps were also slightly different from each other but never fixed the coldness of the sound.

did you really expect a gilmore lite to "fix the coldness" of a k701?
normal_smile .gif

May 16, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 48
First, I dig your setup. Very nice, and thoughtful, assembly of gear in your rig.

I think your problem is the K-701. Even putting them on a SET 2A3 amp doesn't warm them up appreciably. You'd probably be really happy with the Sennheiser HD-650, though. It's everything you're looking for.

May 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 48
yup go with the senns youll get all the warmth you would ever want. consider the 580/600(this is the one i have). some people prefer them over the current flagship mode, since they are noy too warm/muddy. you have the a ton of reading to do about that one.
smily_headphones1.gif
ill keep the akgs though if i were u, they are on thesame level as the senns just different sound.

May 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 48
I'm a minimalist by heart. I aim to get things right the first time I buy something, and to avoid endlessly shuffling back & forth between tings. With some research before each purchase that usually goes well.

Replacing the K-701 isn't even an option. They're great, and I prefer too cold over too warm. It's just that there's no warmth at all, and it just needs a small push to get the sound the way I want it to be.

Ergonomics and aesthetics are perfect for me. And often I multitask with music - and for that the signature of them works good.

May 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 48
Oh, probably should have mentioned that I got my pair early about 3 months ago, so they should be pretty well burnt in.

May 16, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you really expect a gilmore lite to "fix the coldness" of a k701?
normal_smile .gif

Ive listened to 2 k701s. One was not mine and sounded slightly less bright with a c2c, a b22, a custom mosfet amp, and a little dot2 but still sounded cold. Ive listened to my own former k701s rolling the tubes on my dac to the smooth we396as and it only did so much. Amps were Gilmore lite and audiolab integrated..... Among all that... NO WARM SOUND. Soft sound ala senn maybe but not warm ala senn.

May 16, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 48
if your k701 is preety burnt in......the only solution is put it on the market to fund a k601 purchase ive read lots of great thing about them but decided on the k702 since i was not able to find them for cheap. a lot of them poped up in the fs forums after i bought my k702 however. 200 usd or less seemed to be their price range.

May 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzono1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a minimalist by heart. I aim to get things right the first time I buy something, and to avoid endlessly shuffling back & forth between tings. With some research before each purchase that usually goes well.

Replacing the K-701 isn't even an option. They're great, and I prefer too cold over too warm. It's just that there's no warmth at all, and it just needs a small push to get the sound the way I want it to be.

Ergonomics and aesthetics are perfect for me. And often I multitask with music - and for that the signature of them works good.

I can certainly appreciate a minimalist philosophy but a music lover that likes headphones is hard-pressed to find one headphone that does everything well.

If you can be happy with one set, you're doing better than most of us, but don't rule out another horse in the stable.

There is a mod you might try. There's a thread about it but basically it involves placing a piece of chamois over the drivers (with a hole in the middle). I tried it and it was subtle but I think it added some warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back