K701 - Canamp, Lisa III or other?
May 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

slackman

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp for my AKG K701.
My sources are my (analogue) home studio and a Korg MR1 portable DSD (SACD format) recorder/player.

I've been reading a lot about the Lisa III and that she's as good as any sub $1000 home amp (this includes the Canamp I'm assuming) and things like that. But couldn't find any good reports on the Lisa in combination with the K701.
Would be great if Lisa is a good match for the K701 as that would mean I would also have a great portable system. But although portability is a plus, soundquality is the thing that's most important to me.
The amp in combination with the K701 also needs to be very neutral for my home studio use.

Would really apreciate it if someone could help me in making the right decision.
I live in a small town in Holland and have no way of trying out suitable headphone amps so I have to go by what I read here on amps.

May 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 13
If the 701s are going to be your working hps, do you want the details or a warmer sound? Most like a tube amp for listening (warmer). If you are using them for recording, perhaps a SS amp would be better for details (though I believe tube amps can perform just as well for details). Portables will not give you the current and voltage swing needed to make the 701s perform to their potential. I have used my portable on the road and while it does an adequate job with the 701s, they sound more enjoyable on my home amp.

We can then spend your money with a little more information
tongue.gif
. Decide what design (tube or ss) you want and a budget. Are you willing to buy used?

Head-Fi does have members in the Netherlands that may be willing to pull a mini-meet to try out some amps. Check out the meetings threads, and send out an interest check.

Another tool to help is the search function. Input K-701, amps, (your budget) and see what comes up.

Good luck.

May 10, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 13
I am using the LISA III with my K701, since it's the only headphone amp I have got, I can only say that it is very (very) enjoyable and that it does not seems to lack power to drive them, as I was not able to test any home amp, I can't tell if they can bring something else, but It's difficult to me, considering how they already sound, to imagine that my 701's are not performing to their full potential.

May 11, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 13
I have K701s that I use with my Lisa III. I can hear a noticeable difference between using them on my Lisa III and my RSA Predator. It's not that the predator is bad, in fact I still use it with my K701s a lot. It's just that pushing the K701s is a tall order for the predators very small Li-Ion battery, and at higher listening volumes I can tell the predator is being taxed.

Additionally, the bass boost on the Lisa has become almost a must for my listening session with my K701s. When I go back to the predator, I am struck by how anemic the bass on the 701s is.

May 11, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 13
haha a portable tube amp that's crazy
biggrin.gif

i love tubes but i don't think i should get a tube headphone amp because of studio use. I don't want to think things sound nice even though they don't.

I've been giving it more thought and think I'll go find a second hand canamp. Unless someone here tells me the Lisa is way better to justify the higher price to myself other than Lisa beeing portable (i see the canamp goes for around €200 2nd hand)

May 12, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 13
thanks all for your replies!
i've changed my mind again haha
been reading more about the canamp and it does seem as a bit too colored for my liking.
and it's nice and sunny here now and i just know that this summer i'd love to listen to music when lying in the sun in the grass or on a beach.
So I'm going for the Lisa III after all.
Also bit more confident now she'll drive the K701 properly.
Anybody has a Lisa III XP for sale?
wink.gif

May 12, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 13
You need to have a minimum of 50 posts to post in the FS forums (as well being a member for over a month).

May 12, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemoniak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the LISA III with my K701, since it's the only headphone amp I have got, I can only say that it is very (very) enjoyable and that it does not seems to lack power to drive them, as I was not able to test any home amp, I can't tell if they can bring something else, but It's difficult to me, considering how they already sound, to imagine that my 701's are not performing to their full potential.

The LISA III is actually more a home amp than a portable. It just happens to have a battery so that you can take it with you to a remote camp site.

From my experience, there is no difference, in terms of power, betwee the LISA III and other home amps I have.

Granted, if one really wants to argue, the LISA III does have some limitation on voltage swings - but that is compared to the very high-end of home amps, and one would require the corresponding upstream to be in the same high-end league to make a difference.

F. Lo

May 13, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 13
LOL
Ok i just ended up buying a M^3
smily_headphones1.gif

Should arive in about 2 weeks probably, maybe slighly less.
Not really portable but with a big battery pack or sealed acid battery atleast transportable which is all i wanted.
Will report back how i like it with the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back