K701 and pressure point on top of head - Any way to remove the headband or relief?
Dec 20, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, one of the main reasons why I sold my K701 was because of the headband pressure on the top of my head (although the earcups reached my ears fine).

Same here. It's confusing since AKG made a similar except very comfortable headband twenty years earlier for the AKG K340. How can they go from soft forgiving cushions on the K340s to those stiff bubbles under the K701s? It makes no sense.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #17 of 23
I had the same "pinpoint pain" on the top of the head some get with these. I just sticky taped some padded material similar to alpha80's padding. I think AKG maybe thought it was cool to have leather on the cans rather than cheaper (possibly softer) materials.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #18 of 23
I too have had this problem as my gord is rather large. The top of my head really gets to hurtin' at times, like a thumb tac being slowly pushed into my noggin. Also, because the tension on those little black elastic strings are so great, that the ear cups start pulling up under my lobes and sliding up on my head.

So with me, that is two points of discomfort. It never fails that within about 10 minutes or so, I'm uncomfortable with these cans and am continually having to adjust them every few minutes which is very very annoying. Because I really enjoy the sound of the K701's, not to mention they are brand new, I refuse to have them not work for me.

Well, I am glad to announce that I have found a successful fix for them with a little help from you all here, (especially in this thread)!

What I did was find a couple of white wire ties that I had sitting around, took the headband and slid it all the way up so both of the white clasp and slider thingies were as close together as possible, took one wire tie per side and tied it around the clasp/slider diagonally (so it doesn't torque the slider in one direction) gave a few good twists and folded the extra part underneith.

Once planted on my bean, they have been there for an hour now and there's no adjustments to be made, no lobe pushing, no upward sliding, and NO PAIN on the top of my head!

Naturally, I had to take pictures of this priceless (FREE) tweak and post them up here extra large at 1024x768, so as to not leave out any detail for anyone who wants to try the same tweak. So here they are.... You can thank me later! LOL
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #21 of 23
I think there is a possible solution.

If the K701 earpads aren't reaching down to your ears, consider cutting your hair very short or even shaving your head bald.

Thick hair may be unnecessarily adding to the vertical distance between the headband and bottom of the earpads.

I believe an ear-to-ear reverse Mohawk cut has been suggested as a practical style for serious head-fiers. It should help the headband stay secure with no slippage forward or back, allowing for vigorous head-banging sessions.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there is a possible solution.

If the K701 earpads aren't reaching down to your ears, consider cutting your hair very short or even shaving your head bald.

Thick hair may be unnecessarily adding to the vertical distance between the headband and bottom of the earpads.

I believe an ear-to-ear reverse Mohawk cut has been suggested as a practical style for serious head-fiers. It should help the headband stay secure with no slippage forward or back, allowing for vigorous head-banging sessions.

That is an EXCELLENT idea.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #23 of 23
My pair are more comfortable since I grew my hair out.

Also, I have a ridge/crown on the top/center of my head and the middle bubble was driving me nuts (Senn has it right with the 2 separate pads with a small space in the middle). It doesn't bother me as much when I adjust the headband so it's closer to the front of my head.
701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back