K701 and pressure point on top of head - Any way to remove the headband or relief?
Dec 20, 2006 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
My head is pretty large and the headband of the K701 deals a ton of pressure to the top of my head. Interestingly, there is no side clamping pressure (like the HD650), which is a great thing. I noticed the 4 black stretchy cables that pull the leather headband down. Is there a way to either remove the headband or remove those stretchy cables without damaging the K701? (For example, one solution would to be cut the cables, but that would damage the K701. Bleh) Anyone tried anything?
biggrin.gif

It's kind of funny how the leather headband isn't long enough for me. The earcups don't reach far enough down to cover my ears.
tongue.gif

Cheers,
Venio

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 23
lol, one of the main reasons why I sold my K701 was because of the headband pressure on the top of my head (although the earcups reached my ears fine).

Team Big Noggin'

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 23
I just massaged the heck out of the strap and particularly the "bubble" in the middle, using a little mink oil. Now it's not as hard on the noggin and I've gotten quite used to it.

--Chris

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 23
...Bootleg a soft band w/ velcro...
p1080001go4.jpg

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My head is pretty large and the headband of the K701 deals a ton of pressure to the top of my head. Interestingly, there is no side clamping pressure (like the HD650), which is a great thing. I noticed the 4 black stretchy cables that pull the leather headband down. Is there a way to either remove the headband or remove those stretchy cables without damaging the K701? (For example, one solution would to be cut the cables, but that would damage the K701. Bleh) Anyone tried anything?
biggrin.gif

It's kind of funny how the leather headband isn't long enough for me. The earcups don't reach far enough down to cover my ears.
tongue.gif

Cheers,
Venio

I had the exact same problem. I hear lots of people complaining about the strap, not so many people complaining about the cups not reaching their ears, but this was my real issue with the K701's.

My solution was to trade them on the FS forums.
mad.gif
Great sounding cans too, but they just couldn't fit my big head.
blink.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 23
Don't trade them, don't sell them because of head dimensions. The first fix, as suggested by Veniogenesis, is to take a rubber band, move up the slidable ciips on the left and right hand sides, and release the band(s) to your comfort. The leather band will never touch your head, ever.

For really big heads (like the amusingly named "jjhatfield"), try the above, and rotate the headphone back about 25 degrees - great sound and comfort.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Bootleg a soft band w/ velcro...
p1080001go4.jpg

P.S. I'm pretty sure that's one of those cheesy velcro things you attach to your seatbelt. . . . Holy crap, those are in my mom's car!
blink.gif
Well, on second thought, I don't really need it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Now that looks comfy; where did you get that soft band?

Sewed it up quick. I'm gonna make a good one that fits perfect over the holiday.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 23
i have a problem with the pressure and i have a small head...say what you want about grados being uncomfortable, but i can wear grados far longer than the k701. love how they sound, though...

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just massaged the heck out of the strap and particularly the "bubble" in the middle, using a little mink oil. Now it's not as hard on the noggin and I've gotten quite used to it.

--Chris

That helped mine too. Work the band forward and back at the silver pivot points to free up that joint also.
I used some white twist ties on the sliding part to pull the headband up as far as it would go. This eliminates the pull from the black stretchy cables.
TR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back