K701 and Graham Slee Solo?
Apr 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gingerbread Man

New Head-Fier
Hi. I currently have a Beresford TC-7510 Mk 6/3 DAC, feeding into a Graham Slee Solo into HD650.

I wanted to try something a little brighter and detailed, so with my birthday coming up, I ordered a pair of K701's this morning.

My question is, if I like them, is my GS Solo a good match for them, or should I be looking into getting something like a Darkvoice 332 perhaps?

If anyone would like to know, my music preferences are things like Breaking Banjamin, Disturbed, Evanescence etc...

There may also be the possibility of a Grado addition in the future, and so the amp being good for K701 and Grado would be nice.

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I currently have a Beresford TC-7510 Mk 6/3 DAC, feeding into a Graham Slee Solo into HD650.

I wanted to try something a little brighter and detailed, so with my birthday coming up, I ordered a pair of K701's this morning.

My question is, if I like them, is my GS Solo a good match for them, or should I be looking into getting something like a Darkvoice 332 perhaps?

If anyone would like to know, my music preferences are things like Breaking Banjamin, Disturbed, Evanescence etc...

There may also be the possibility of a Grado addition in the future, and so the amp being good for K701 and Grado would be nice.

Just to make sure I do my part in the flow of the uninformed but opinionated -- I have heard neither the 701 nor the Solo, but I think they'd make a great match! Why? Because if the solo has the power to drive your 650s well, it should be able to drive 701s well, and "synergy" is, while not complete bunk, at least somewhat dubious.

Why? How? Please, let me answer that question with a question: If you "wanted to try something a little brighter and detailed," as a contrast to your 650s, why would you then match them up with a darker and smoother amp, dulling that contrast?

Unless, of course, you're just hoping to turn a good excuse for buying a new pair of cans into a thin excuse for buying a new amp. In which case I competely understand, will support you totally, and will promise to never make the argument stated above in front of your wife.

Tim

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

I can tell you that my Solo and my DV332 sound very similar with most of my phones... though... I do not have any AKGs. The Solo may be just a wee bit brighter and a wee bit more detailed... and... the DV332 may be just a wee bit more "tubey," but not much - it's not a very euphonic tube amp. The Solo seems to be a pretty good "all around" amp with most of my phones (i.e. D5000s, HD580/600s, RS-1s, AD2000s).

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd have thought of the DT880 before the K701.
The K701 are different from the HD650, but not particularly brighter IMO.
The Graham Slee Solo does more than ok with any pair of headphones I ever heard out of it (this includes the HD650, K701 and DT880).

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have thought of the DT880 before the K701.
The K701 are different from the HD650, but not particularly brighter IMO.
The Graham Slee Solo does more than ok with any pair of headphones I ever heard out of it (this includes the HD650, K701 and DT880).

Well another point for the 701s is that I play a lot of games, and have heard that because of their detail and soundstage the 701s are good for that.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Well another point for the 701s is that I play a lot of games, and have heard that because of their detail and soundstage the 701s are good for that.

I don't do a lot of gaming. But for what I did I found the PROline 750 to be perfect...
icon10.gif

You just need more phones.
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 8
I have heard all three of the mentioned headphones, I think my ordering of them would be:
1)K701
2)DT880
3)HD650

But it is really, really close. My friend with DT880s would probably agree, we both loved my modded 580s, but the 880s were better, and when we heard the 650s we didnt feel like there was much of a difference at all between the modded 580s and the 650s, so the 880s go above the 650s. When I got the 701s, my dt880'd friend was skeptical, but after burnin, he listened to both, as did I, and we both agreed that the 701s were very slightly better. My WA6 is coming next week and we will be using the 701s, dt880s and HF-1s to test which is best. As for this amp, I cannot be sure. Hope this was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back