K601 or HD600
Jul 4, 2007 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

BrookR1

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something a little different and these two HPs are on my radar. I'm only interested in hearing from people that have heard both.

Which is livelier?
Which is more detailed?
Which is darker/brighter?
Which would work best out of my E-MU 0404?
Which is more fun?

Thanks!
Brook

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 24
53eu93b.jpg

wow...very similar

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 24
The HD 600 are really in a higher class.

The response charts are not much use to me as they do not tell you the detail of the headphones.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord_tris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i never heard the 601 but i owned the 600
600's huge soundstage
very detailed
veiled mids
very dark can
does not mix well with tubes
great for classical IMHO

From my time owning them, I agree with you.
If it says anyhting, I sold my HD600 within a few weeks, and I have had my K701 for a few months now.

IMO, I would go for the 601 (or 701 if you can swing the cash: what is your budget?).

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 24
I've never had a good experience with the K601 but would like to experience it. There is a nice set of used HD600's in the FS thread right now. I would snatch them up as they will resell for that price. The 600 is a good can and upscales nicely. Good luck and enjoy the music!

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've never taken those things seriously

...and rightfully shouldn't. Frequency response graphs only give you a rough idea of what sounds they technically can produce, not what they actually do.

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 24
Frequency response graphs, as one of the only objective measures, are extremely useful. They're not necessarily an absolute reference, but they definitely indicate the relative difference between various headphones.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 24
My take on K601 (vs HD-600):
+ Smoother and nicer mids
+ More expansive soundstage
+ Agile and articulate bass, with IMO better low-end extension
+ If powered adequately, can be very open- and transparent-sounding

- Bass can be too lean for some
- More analytical / less warm and less engaging
- Less efficient, thus more demanding, in terms of power
- Harder to change cables (unlike Senn's 'plug-and-play' cables)

I still prefer the more euphonic HD-650 and K340 though.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 24
I think the HD 600 is wonderfully balanced headphone. It is dark in color but extends in both directions without any really noticeable humps. Again, it is slightly darker, but a wonderful compliment to Grados.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 24
HD600 = high-calibre, genuinely audiophile quality headphones. Detachable cable allows for upgrades/replacements, extremely comfortable, well-built.

You'll find livlier, brighter, more detailed cans but you'll soon get bored of the colouration. The HD600 IMO are a keep-for-ever set providing thousands of hours of happy listening.

Just make sure you feed them properly by means of a good, powerful amp!

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 = high-calibre, genuinely audiophile quality headphones. Detachable cable allows for upgrades/replacements, extremely comfortable, well-built.

You'll find livlier, brighter, more detailed cans but you'll soon get bored of the colouration. The HD600 IMO are a keep-for-ever set providing thousands of hours of happy listening.

Just make sure you feed them properly by means of a good, powerful amp!

The same can be said about many other "high-calibre" headphones, including the K601.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back