K501 and SR225... good combo?
Jul 29, 2006 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
I was originally planning to use the K501 for all my music, but after returning from a rock concert (my first one ever... FRONT ROW!!!! ears still ringing, need to buy some ER20s next time!) I really really really LOVE the SLAM and ENERGY of live performance.

Though my K501s are nice (since my tube amp is powerful enough to drive them well), I'm afraid they may not give me the same slam and bass energy that I'd want.

I hear the SR225 is the best bang for buck in the Grado line, I don't intend to upgrade past this. I'd rather spend as little as possible but if the SR225 is significantly better than the ones lower than it, AND it scales well... then I'll pull the trigger.

SR225 for rock, K501 for classical and everything else? Sound like a good combo?

I wonder if the SR225s improve well with good amps.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 8
Yes to everything you've just said. At least it can't hurt to give the SR-225 a try, but theoretically this combination should cover some of the extremes of the headphone world. Not the extremes of bass, but of presentation yes.

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 8
It's going to be my home can combo also
smily_headphones1.gif
. I already have the 501, just need the SR225's. SR60's will serve me very well as bed cans.

Jul 29, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
SR225 for rock, K501 for classical and everything else? Sound like a good combo?
I wonder if the SR225s improve well with good amps.

The SR225's improve REALLY well with a good amp, in my experience.
I'd say that the sound quality improvement in going from the SR225 ampless to the SR225 with a good amp is in the same ballpark as the sound quality improvement in going from the SR60 unamped to the SR225 unamped - a substantial improvement. By "good amp" with the SR225, I mean one that can deliver the current that they need to sound their best.

I owned the SR225 and K501 for about a year and a half. What I found may sound a little strange at first read... That the two are so different that they do not make a good complementary pair, IMO. I found, for my own ear, that the HD580 (with HD650 grills and Cardas replacement cable) is both different enough from the SR225 to enlarge the range of genres and sound types that are optimally presented AND similar enough to the SR225 that, in switching between the two, I don't lose too much of what I enjoy in the one to get the special benefits of the other. The K501 are a really enjoyable set of headphones (and give the high bang-for-buck that I've come to value AKG for), but not a good complementary match for the SR225, IMO.

Jul 29, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
I owned the SR225 and K501 for about a year and a half. What I found may sound a little strange at first read... That the two are so different that they do not make a good complementary pair, IMO. I found, for my own ear, that the HD580 (with HD650 grills and Cardas replacement cable) is both different enough from the SR225 to enlarge the range of genres and sound types that are optimally presented AND similar enough to the SR225 that, in switching between the two, I don't lose too much of what I enjoy in the one to get the special benefits of the other. The K501 are a really enjoyable set of headphones (and give the high bang-for-buck that I've come to value AKG for), but not a good complementary match for the SR225, IMO.

Good beta. 2 strategies to maximize quiver SQ are to look elsewhere (e.g. DT880's) or start looking at re-cables and opamp rolling.. The best thing is to go to a meet or store and listen to Grado's, A-T, Senn's, other brands. or get some quality barely-used SR60 or 80 at the 4sale forum

Jul 30, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC

I would like to be a dissenter here -- IMO, the K501 is NOT a good classical headphone at all despite it's rep. I love it for jazz, new age, female vocals nearly anything airy or midrange focused and that needs no bass authority to sound good. OTOH classical needs some bass authority, more than the K501 provides IMO. It needs more overall instrument realism and just a generally more accurate pair of cans, too. I much, much, MUCH prefer my DT880s for all forms of classical, in all circumstances.

Classical is a genre I consider "critical" though, and not amenable to sonic compromise. Many people do not share my views here, although many do as well. I may well be one of the few people who feel the K501 is a poor set for classical though.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 8
fewtch: I listen to jazz, female vocals, etc as much as classical so I don't mind the K501. However, with the right amp, the K501 actually has bass. Your Pimeta doesn't drive them that well? I thought it was quite a nice amp.

Jul 30, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Classical is a genre I consider "critical" though, and not amenable to sonic compromise. Many people do not share my views here, although many do as well. I may well be one of the few people who feel the K501 is a poor set for classical though.

I don't know, I'd say that there's also a problem that "classical" ends up comprising a really wide disparity of typical sounds for reproduction. A Baroque organ piece, an opera, a quartet, and a symphony will all require very type-specific requirements that aren't all that similar to one another. Does a flute sonata or a choral piece require bass authority? I fully agree with the idea of instrument realism that fewtch mentions, but I'm not sure the K501 is such a bad choice for that. But unlike fewtch, I've never done an A/B with a DT880, only heard them at different times.

Anyway, it's sort of moot, as the OP already has some K501 and is just thinking of picking up a set of Grados to do what the 501 won't. I think the Grados will really give what KevC says he wants from them, the slam and immediacy of a live show. I fully take the weight of sbulack's warning about the two cans being just too different, but I think that if they don't satisfy, they'll still help KevC triangulate what will best suit his needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back