K500/K501 & K701 - where do you stand?
Feb 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with the k701 I've always had the feeling that there was a warm blanket muffling something of the sound (not the details obviously). Maybe it's the famous AKG veil
k701smile.gif
. But seriously, I found the k701 to be significantly warmer sounding than the K50xs.

You know what the AKG veil is!
BTW, K501 are also warm and veiled. I swear. Or probably dark and veiled, that was my first impression of them.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what the AKG veil is!
BTW, K501 are also warm and veiled. I swear. Or probably dark and veiled, that was my first impression of them.

Warmish, yes definitely, but I wouldn't say they were dark. But maybe that's because of the amps I use. On the other hand, I wouldn't call them 'light' either
smily_headphones1.gif
. And how about that AKG veil!

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it's a dead horse; the thread was started by someone already leaning toward the K501 and looking for reasons to buy it over the K701.
I know it because I started a similar thread about the K601/K701 last month. OP's looking for K501 fans to tell him it's the better phone. :O)

I said in the first post that I had already purchased the K500s, and I was curious about the sonic differences from owners of both the K50x and K701. This isnt a 'tell me what to buy' thread, I was just interested in a discussion about 2 schools of thought. In all my reading, K50x owners say the the K701 sounds off, but rarely are any of their differences discussed. As it appears that both the K701s and K50xs are the top AKG headphones widely available (again, K1000 excluded) I thought It would be helpful to examine the reactions of owners of both, as people usually own say sextetts and K701s, but rarely (I have not seen any) own K701s and K501s. This thread is a reaction to the fact that there is little writing on the sonic qualities to the K50xs compared to the K701, while many owners who have used both seem to have preferred the K50xs.

Please read the original post, or only contribute if you have something constructive to say.

My comment about the sennheisers referred to the common belief that while both headphones posses different characteristics, they are both considered sonically on par. My question was to try to decipher if the K701s and K50xs also share this relationship.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #34 of 48
I guess I ought to chime in since I happen to own both K501 and K701 in stock form. I'm actually unclear as to which version of the K501 I have. Anyways, to me, the biggest difference between the two is that the K501 has a more pleasant overall frequency response, especially in the mids. The etch that the K701 has in the upper mid/lower treble sometimes really bothers me, but sometimes it's not as noticable. The lack of bass in the K501 can be addressed by choosing bassy tubes or changing pads as often noted. With regards to comfort, the K501 loses on the pads but wins on the bumpless headband. I listen to the K701 on the dynahi and the K501 on the DV332. The reverse combination doesn't nearly as good.

I would recommend hearing the other one if you haven't already. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose K501.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #35 of 48
Thought id post some impressions as the intention of this thread is to provide more K500 knowledge:

Disclaimer:
My pair has been recabled, and having never heard them stock, am unaware how it affects the sound.

listening with ALAC mbp > NuForce Icon DAC > Darkvoice 336i

First Thoughts:

these AKGs are mesmerizing, trying to change songs mid way through is very difficult, somehow I am unable to click to something else (im sure you know the feeling). The AGKs definitely fill a different spot then any of my other headphones (grado, stax, sennheiser, sure). While they are lighter on bass then the rest of the crew, it never feels restrictive, more just like I am receiving a different perspective on the recording. Songs like Regina Spektors 'Fidelity' do feel a bit like they have been cut in half a bit, but it is nothing that ruins the song, just different then listening through the HD650s. Other traits I have noticed is that on say Dave Brubecks 'take 5', the sax does not have as much weight as through the HD650s, but I can hear the keys being pressed through the K500s. Ill have to decide how I feel about the AKG perspective, but the miro-details are amazing. Listening through the AKGs, it never feels like the music is coming through the headphones, but from somewhere else in the room. It makes every recording feel more like a live show. It almost feels like my Stax Lambdas are the child of the K500s and my HD650s. I still put the electrostatics above the two, but it would never render the other two obsolete. While the K500s have a huge soundstage, they arent afraid to get in your face like the HD650s. Listening to Dangerdoom's "Benzi Box", the synth intro make it feel like theres an electrical current running between you ears.

Just took them out of the box, but felt compelled to write down what I was hearing. Gotta run to dinner, but thanks team AGK, looks like you got a new convert.

EDIT/Sidenote:

These headphones were built for listening to Julie Fowlis

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #36 of 48
My order of preference goes K400, K501, K401, K500, followed by a large gap with the K701. The K701 just doesn't have the same magic as the rest, like the life's been sucked out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, a REAL headphone person knows that the only REAL AKG headphones for music listening are the K301s...

ph34r.gif

My ears still haven't forgiven me for the time I listened to the K301...

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it's a dead horse; the thread was started by someone already leaning toward the K501 and looking for reasons to buy it over the K701.
I know it because I started a similar thread about the K601/K701 last month. OP's looking for K501 fans to tell him it's the better phone. :O)

But it is! It really is! Its not even close actually.

I sold my K701s yesterday because they were getting no play.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought id post some impressions as the intention of this thread is to provide more K500 knowledge:

Disclaimer:
My pair has been recabled, and having never heard them stock, am unaware how it affects the sound.

listening with ALAC mbp > NuForce Icon DAC > Darkvoice 336i

First Thoughts:

these AKGs are mesmerizing, trying to change songs mid way through is very difficult, somehow I am unable to click to something else (im sure you know the feeling). The AGKs definitely fill a different spot then any of my other headphones (grado, stax, sennheiser, sure). While they are lighter on bass then the rest of the crew, it never feels restrictive, more just like I am receiving a different perspective on the recording. Songs like Regina Spektors 'Fidelity' do feel a bit like they have been cut in half a bit, but it is nothing that ruins the song, just different then listening through the HD650s. Other traits I have noticed is that on say Dave Brubecks 'take 5', the sax does not have as much weight as through the HD650s, but I can hear the keys being pressed through the K500s. Ill have to decide how I feel about the AKG perspective, but the miro-details are amazing. Listening through the AKGs, it never feels like the music is coming through the headphones, but from somewhere else in the room. It makes every recording feel more like a live show. It almost feels like my Stax Lambdas are the child of the K500s and my HD650s. I still put the electrostatics above the two, but it would never render the other two obsolete. While the K500s have a huge soundstage, they arent afraid to get in your face like the HD650s. Listening to Dangerdoom's "Benzi Box", the synth intro make it feel like theres an electrical current running between you ears.

Just took them out of the box, but felt compelled to write down what I was hearing. Gotta run to dinner, but thanks team AGK, looks like you got a new convert.

EDIT/Sidenote:

These headphones were built for listening to Julie Fowlis

Yes, yes, yes! That's exactly how I feel about mine (I found another pair so I am now equipped with a K500 at the office as well
biggrin.gif
).

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah! All these 50x and 40x fanboys... they have no idea what a REAL AKG is supposed to sound like... their senses have been dulled by these recent phones that have SALTY/LUMPY high ends and lack the ORGASM-INDUCING mid-range. It's not an AKG unless you get an orgasm when listening to midrange (Everyone knows that durr).
Plus the bass is too much! Real AKGs have no bass to speak of! Do you ever see recording engineers with sealed subwoofers strapped to their heads? I don't think so...

Anyways, a REAL headphone person knows that the only REAL AKG headphones for music listening are the K301s...

Your opinion. No need to berate them for loving and enjoying their headphones. In fact, I think I will have to add the K501 to the list for my next possible headphones. The reviews are just too good, and K701 sound too analytical, studio, professional for someone like me, who listens music for pleasure, not to analyze.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I can't help it
wink.gif
. Maybe it's my amps (one tube, one solid state), but with the k701 I've always had the feeling that there was a warm blanket muffling something of the sound (not the details obviously). Maybe it's the famous AKG veil
k701smile.gif
. But seriously, I found the k701 to be significantly warmer sounding than the K50xs.

I agree, during the time I had my K501 & K701 I definitely noticed more warmth with the K701. On some music this was a good thing, on others it wasn't.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #41 of 48
I'm somewhat surprised to read all these K501 > K701 posts. I prefer my Senns and Grados but in the AKG world, I while I liked the 501s when I owned them, it was the first pair of headphones I sold. I've only heard the K701 at meets, but it sounded like a much better 'phone, perhaps driven through better amplification than I owned during my 501 phase. Not really a fair comparison, but still I admit to being surprised by this thread.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #42 of 48
I think variation between units within AKG models may be too much to really create an accurate K4/5/6/700 comparison. Because my findings don't ever really match what other people say. I've owned multiple sextetts, and none of them soudned the same (even withig the same production time)

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #43 of 48
I want to revive this thread as I just recently received a pair of K501 to compare to the K701. At this point I really can't decide which I like better. The K501 midrange is beautiful and expansive but I like the weightier/fuller sound of the K701 as well. I am only using an Apogee Duet at the moment to power these so my opinion is not based on an optimum amp. Time will tell....

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #44 of 48
IMO, the K501 is warmer and has a much more beautiful midrange than the K701. However, the K701 has better resolution, tighter and more bass, and more extended on both ends of the spectrum.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the K501 is warmer and has a much more beautiful midrange than the K701. However, the K701 has better resolution, tighter and more bass, and more extended on both ends of the spectrum.

I agree with most of your observations except I feel the K701 is warmer. If the K701 had as sweet of a midrange as the K501 it would be an easy decision. Does the K501's bass really improve much with K601 pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back