Feb 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701, too warm?
confused.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Yes, I can't help it
wink.gif
. Maybe it's my amps (one tube, one solid state), but with the k701 I've always had the feeling that there was a warm blanket muffling something of the sound (not the details obviously). Maybe it's the famous AKG veil
k701smile.gif
. But seriously, I found the k701 to be significantly warmer sounding than the K50xs.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #18 of 48
"a buttery smooth eargasm"! To read words like this is the reason I like Head-Fi so much!
k701smile.gif
And yes, I think we're talking about the same thing here, although you put it in words much better than I did. I think buttery smoothness is precisely the difference between the k50x and the k701.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #20 of 48
It took me some time to figure out why I was't thrilled by the k701 sound, when it ticked most if not all of the boxes: detail, soundstage, separation, speed etc. It is a very good headphone, but it's the buttery smoothness you either like or not. And FWIW, I wait a bit until I put on clothes right out of the dryer...

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It took me some time to figure out why I was't thrilled by the k701 sound, when it ticked most if not all of the boxes: detail, soundstage, separation, speed etc. It is a very good headphone, but it's the buttery smoothness you either like or not. And FWIW, I wait a bit until I put on clothes right out of the dryer...

thats kind of ironic, and makes me want to start a thread asking that, since I like nothing more than putting my clothes in the dryer before wearing them (yes including jackets and pants, don't do shoes though, makes a mess of the dryer (yes I tried
frown.gif
))

page 1 said it best (rds) "buying K701's blind is risky", because they're "perfect" on paper (in terms of being an inexpensive reference 'phone thats fairly easy to find and buy, and not a total nightmare to amp (i.e: you don't need an electrostatic energizer or beefy speaker amp)), but in reality they're not "perfect" for everyone, if that makes a bit of sense?

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #22 of 48
Yes, it does make sense. I guess there'll never be a headphone that'll suit all ears. Which is good, otherwise there'd be little need for Head-Fi.

Shoes in the dryer? They were sneakers I suppose? I mean, they weren't leather shoes? Were they?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does make sense. I guess there'll never be a headphone that'll suit all ears. Which is good, otherwise there'd be little need for Head-Fi.

Shoes in the dryer? They were sneakers I suppose? I mean, they weren't leather shoes? Were they?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't wear "sneakers" exactly, but they weren't formal shoes if thats what you're asking (like they survived it)

idk, the promotional material led me to believe the dryer could do it, it said its designed for it, guess it meant clean shoes...

::edit
this thread is another reason I love AKG's
this is a thread of AKG people, and here we're talking about shoes in the dryer and warm blankets
reminds me of the wilde quote:
Of course the music is a great difficulty. You see, if one plays good music, people don't listen, and if one plays bad music people don't talk.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread is another reason I love AKG's
this is a thread of AKG people, and here we're talking about shoes in the dryer and warm blankets
reminds me of the wilde quote:
Of course the music is a great difficulty. You see, if one plays good music, people don't listen, and if one plays bad music people don't talk.

Agreed
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #25 of 48
looks like i picked a good team to be a member of, cant wait until NY to a/b the K500 & K701. Would it be fair to say the difference is like that separating the HD600/HD650?

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like i picked a good team to be a member of, cant wait until NY to a/b the K500 & K701. Would it be fair to say the difference is like that separating the HD600/HD650?

I don't know, how do you percieve the HD 600 vs HD 650 difference? all three of them sound the same to me...
confused_face.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #29 of 48
Of course it's a dead horse; the thread was started by someone already leaning toward the K501 and looking for reasons to buy it over the K701.
I know it because I started a similar thread about the K601/K701 last month. OP's looking for K501 fans to tell him it's the better phone. :O)

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it's a dead horse; the thread was started by someone already leaning toward the K501 and looking for reasons to buy it over the K701.
I know it because I started a similar thread about the K601/K701 last month. OP's looking for K501 fans to tell him it's the better phone. :O)

beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dif...1-k702-411052/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/did...r-k701-406475/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...1-rock-393125/

etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back