K340s are not what I expected (brief first impressions)
Nov 30, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a Xiang 708B recently. My K340s are the bass light version but are Headphile Modded so it is more like articulate bass now. Best way to describe them in the current setup is that they sound like super 501s. Very lifelike, organic mids and highs and insane seperation. Very precise can and the 708B is a beast of an amp power-wise as I barely have to crack the volume knob to get a good level of volume. My only slight complaint is that they don't have more thump but I am a basshead after all.

Great to hear buddy! Now you just need to keep an eye out for tube bargains so you can find the right tube to fill in the bass a bit. I'm not sure of anyone else with the same combo, so you might have to do the research yourself. Put out the word to other Xiang owners and ask which tubes are bassy ones.

In case you didn't know it, you were the first Head-Fier I did business with. Although I ended up not caring for the Senn. 650's I traded you for, it was a great transaction and really boosted my confidence in dealing with members of this forum. Glad to see you enjoying one of my all time favorite headphones!

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 28
I have the bass light version, and as far as I see it it has plenty of bass for everythiny but metal. It is very fasy, detailed, and very very accurate.

Sorry if I missed it, but what amp and source did you use?

BTW, I ordered my self a pair of velour pads so I'll post my thoughts on they impact on the sound once I have have them.

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if I missed it, but what amp and source did you use?

Amp is an MG Head OTL (stock tubes I think), source is a Rega Planet 2000, IC's are the DiMarzio cables that Headroom sells.

Definitely liking the system more and more. I'll order pads, and see how it goes from there. Maybe I'll get the full Headphile treatment. The one issue that's cropping up right now is a potential channel imbalance problem, but that's probably due to unequal seal in both ears. Anyway, one thing at a time.

They really do take a lot of the virtues of the SR-404, but don't have the annoying midrange coloration. Man, have I found my phones?
blink.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #19 of 28
Headphile them and you will have one of the best dynamic headphones period.
These are keepers for sure IMO. The only thing I like more atm is some black Darth K1000s lol. Too sexy.

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #20 of 28
Brightness may improve with better amplification... a copper recable would help in that department as well, I think.

Glad to hear that your K340 experience is improving.
340smile.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #21 of 28
Apart from hearing them side by side, how can you tell if they are the "bass heavy", or "bass lite" models? Are certain serial numbers one or the other? Or are there cosmetic differences?

- augustwest

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really do take a lot of the virtues of the SR-404, but don't have the annoying midrange coloration. Man, have I found my phones?
blink.gif

That's funny! When I bought my Headphiled K340s from Larry, he opined that they would probably just be a step in the path towards a full electrostatic system. You seem to be heading in the other direction!

In my case, Larry was correct in that I have since invested in some Stax. But I still have my K340s and I'm still looking for an amplifier that makes them sing for me. I even tried them out on some of the offerings at the recent Head-Fi NY meet; but I didn't hear anything that drove them as well as my upgraded AudioValve RKV. Lately, I like how they sound out of a Perreaux SXH1 but I really need to crank the volume to get a decent SPL.

Meanwhile, my Lambda Novas continue to disappoint when driven by the SRM-T1S (~SRM-006t?). The upper midrange/lower treble is MIA, while the mid-bass is overbearing. The K340 is way better in both these areas. I have a couple of pairs of different tubes to roll into the SRM; but I suspect I'll be driven to equalization (or sale) as the long-term remedy.

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from hearing them side by side, how can you tell if they are the "bass heavy", or "bass lite" models? Are certain serial numbers one or the other? Or are there cosmetic differences?

When stock, the bass heavy pair has bloated bass... even when properly amplified. The bass light version does not.

Personally, I prefer the bass heavy version pre-mod and the bass light version post mod. The bass light version has more micro detail and is more neutral... and once you mod it and drive it with a ballsy amp it has teh bass!
basshead.gif
340smile.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much does it cost to headphile it?

That really depends on what you get done. I got a great deal on my first pair as they were the first ever headphiled K340's, but I went all out on my second pair and the wood and BlackGold cabling really jack up the price. Not to mention the NOS headphones themselves.
redface.gif
340smile.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 28
You statement about bass light/heavy versions is so correct, just want to double that.
When I have got my heavy one it was like WOW. Just yesterday got the light one and again WOW.
If I had enough money I would keep them both, modded of course
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When stock, the bass heavy pair has bloated bass... even when properly amplified. The bass light version does not.

Personally, I prefer the bass heavy version pre-mod and the bass light version post mod. The bass light version has more micro detail and is more neutral... and once you mod it and drive it with a ballsy amp it has teh bass!
basshead.gif
340smile.gif
That really depends on what you get done. I got a great deal on my first pair as they were the first ever headphiled K340's, but I went all out on my second pair and the wood and BlackGold cabling really jack up the price. Not to mention the NOS headphones themselves.
redface.gif
340smile.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny! When I bought my Headphiled K340s from Larry, he opined that they would probably just be a step in the path towards a full electrostatic system. You seem to be heading in the other direction!

In my case, Larry was correct in that I have since invested in some Stax. But I still have my K340s and I'm still looking for an amplifier that makes them sing for me. I even tried them out on some of the offerings at the recent Head-Fi NY meet; but I didn't hear anything that drove them as well as my upgraded AudioValve RKV. Lately, I like how they sound out of a Perreaux SXH1 but I really need to crank the volume to get a decent SPL.

Meanwhile, my Lambda Novas continue to disappoint when driven by the SRM-T1S (~SRM-006t?). The upper midrange/lower treble is MIA, while the mid-bass is overbearing. The K340 is way better in both these areas. I have a couple of pairs of different tubes to roll into the SRM; but I suspect I'll be driven to equalization (or sale) as the long-term remedy.

Wow, that's an interesting description of the Lambda Nova. It's the exact opposite of what I'm hearing - and what disappoints me - from the SR-404/SRM-313 combo. There, the combo has an overbearing upper midrange, a thin midbass, and a rather dry overall character with very short decay. It's not a pretty sound, though it is a fairly accurate one save for the tonal disbalances.

Now, I'm not putting down the SR-404, especially with my praise of the K340. I think the SR-404 is a beast that can be truly amazing when well driven. The McAlister amp has shown glimpses at it's true potential - absolutely amazing PRaT, drive, and dynamics, coupled with electrostatic detail, wonderful lushness and freedom from fatigue, and a very wide soundstage (but with a forward instrument placement). Honestly, if the amp didn't have issues I'd settle down with this combo permanently, K340 or no. But, the amp seems to have been damaged in transit - or maybe there's an outright design flaw - because it clips during dynamic passages and hums during certain positions of the volume pots. The amp is, unfortunately, very flimsily built (on my rather brief inspection of it's insides), so damage through transit is definitely quite possible.

I'd send it to Peter right this instant, but I'm a bit hesistant to annoy him any more than I have already. Believe it or not, Canada post actually lost the very first amp he designed and built for me, so he sent me a second one. I can only imagine the financial hit that he took when that happened. I'll send the amp in for repair eventually, but I also want to play around with it for a bit first and see if I (or my recording engineer friend to be more precise) figure out what's wrong with it myself.

In any case, the SR-404 can be truly world class when properly driven. It's an electrostatic Grado with soundstage. The upper midrange coloration never goes away, but all of the headphone's other virtues make up for it. I don't want to compare the SR-404 and the K340 at this juncture just yet, but all I can say is that they're both excellent headphones that compete for tops in the sub-$1K bracket, and share many similar virtues.

I can definitely say now, having gotten more experience with different good headphones, that I'm not a Sennheiser person. PRaT, drive, dynamics, speed, resolution, and ability to handle very complex passages without losing detail in each individual layer are qualities that are all very important to me, and while the Senns are great, they're not the best in this regard. I love the HD600 for what it is and what it does - one of the few headphones that gets tone color right - but it will never be my primary listening headphone.

I don't think that I'm moving away from 'stats, but a K340 system may be a bit more practical right now (and cheaper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back