K340s are not what I expected (brief first impressions)
Nov 29, 2006 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
Right, so I got a pair of K340s in the mail. Having read up on them extensively, I was led to expect certain things from their sound, and so far I'm not hearing them. I was expecting a very full sound with strong bass, lush mids, and a somewhat recessed treble, together with good drive and dynamics. What I've got is, well...

1) The tonal balance is rather bright with a definite treble emphasis. Treble quality is quite good actually, but the extra treble gives acousic records extra sparkle (which can sound very good actually) and electronic records a metallic edge (which mostly sounds bad).

2) The mids I would describe as being very airy and transparent rather than overly lush and full. There's none of the Sennheiser-like filling presence here, rather you have nice, clear, well rounded mids, but each individual instrument doesn't occupy a lot of space. Somewhat Ety-like, though not as dry.

3) The bass I would describe as tight and well controlled, and fairly deep, but a bit on the lean side. Definitely reminds me of the SR-404 out of a solid-state amp, though not as deep or well controlled.

4) The amount of detail they retreive is quite exceptional really, especially considering that the electret is used only at 4kHz and up. They seem to be even more detailed than the SR-404 on initial listen, but that is mostly due to the overactive treble. I'd say they're about as detailed as the 404, but I'll need to listen much more to be sure. Still, detail is definitely a strong suit.

5) Soundstage is excellent, definitely the best out of any closed headphone that I've heard and remember well (I did hear the R10, but I don't remember it all that well by now).

6) Drive and dynamics... honestly, the SR-404 wins quite handily here, at least when driven by the McAlister amp. The K340 is a bit laidback by comparison. The 404 is just more vivid all across the board, and I'd say that this isn't just due to the upper midrange emphasis. But, the amp needs to be right - with the 313 it can sound quite dull, especially if the 313 is used out of a lousy power strip.

7) Comfort is pretty bad. The elastics are worn, the headband has next to no pressure, and the thing slides all over the place. The pads are pretty dry by now, and don't seal well at all. When I press them in to seal better, sound becomes a bit fuller, but it's still bright.

So, what's going on here? I've read that there are two versions - a bass heavy and a bass light version. Maybe mine is the bass light version? I'm driving them out of an MG Head OTL, and it seems to have more than enough current for them (I've read of these amps driving K1000's, so I would guess it's at least adequate), but maybe there needs to be a beefier amp? The MG Head's tonal balance is tilted way towards the warm side - it sounds overwhelmingly bassy with the Senns. My source is a Rega Planet 2000, which has a darkish, more analog tonality than many digital players, so I know it's probably not the culprit either.

In any case, the K340 sounds pretty darn good even as it is. I definitely don't want to convey the impression that I don't like the sound.

I guess I need new elastics and some new AKG velour pads. Right now the headband is held from sliding around by the duct tape method.

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 28
sounds like the loose elastics and worn pads are brightening the sound to me. i would replace those. i have seen some info on this on the board quite recently.

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I guess I need new elastics and some new AKG velour pads. Right now the headband is held from sliding around by the duct tape method.

..and i thought i'm the only one.

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like the loose elastics and worn pads are brightening the sound to me. i would replace those. i have seen some info on this on the board quite recently.

I really hope that was a joke.

Yes, you probably have the bass light version. Two people I know have it, and both of theirs sound quite bright. Definitely go for the velour; MUCH more comfortable.

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 28
Was the seller reliable? I'm afraid there might be some problems with the dynamic drivers. Since it's both sides, it might be a wiring issue.

Apart from the worst case scenario, though, you do need a seal from the pads to get full bass. Does it improve if you hold them tightly in place? Add some sort of padding behind them if they're too shallow for your ears. People should also be warned about the size of these things: I have an unusually large head, and they fit me at nearly the tightest setting.

edit, of course maybe I just have the supposed bass-heavy version.

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I doubt it as I was about to recommend the same. Good seal and fit is essential for good bass, especially with the 'bass light' version. The K501 headband makes an excellent [and stylish] replacement as well.
wink.gif

catscratch - I wonder what amp you were using. You're electrostatics are being driven from your McAlister amp, what amp do you have for dynamic headphones?

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 28
I'm using (currently) an MG Head OTL to drive the K340's.

I'm not sure about the seal being the issue here, but I will probably upgrade the pads and see how it goes from there. Pressing the cups in does make the sound fuller, but it is a very slight change at best.

The seller was reliable, or so it seemed to be. The headphones don't sound like they're defective in any way, they're just not what I expected based on what I've read.

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No joke at all. The worn elastics alone can make a very noticable difference in sound quality. It keeps them from sealing right, and a good seal is essential with these headphones. The velour pads make a difference too. Mine are the bass light version, and I certainly would not characterize them as bright. The mids on mine are full and lush. Amping them correctly is also essential. These are some of the pickiest headphones there are. Current alone isn't enough, they just pair better with certain amps. If yours are unmodded that will also have a big effect on SQ, they really need to be modded. The right cables and new screens will make a giant leap in SQ, the right amount of cotton will help adjust the bass.

I see after reading the rest of the posts that I just echoed philodox. But that's not a bad thing, because nobody understands these headphones better than Jay.

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 28
My pair sounds almost the same as catscratch's, but I don't have anything close to capable of driving them. The elastics and pads on my pair are in good condition though.

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using (currently) an MG Head OTL to drive the K340's.

Has anyone else tried this amp with the K340's? It could very well be the problem.

EDIT: I'm not saying it is a bad amp [I have no experience with it], but as swt61 pointed out, the K340's are picky buggers.
340smile.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 28
I got a Xiang 708B recently. My K340s are the bass light version but are Headphile Modded so it is more like articulate bass now. Best way to describe them in the current setup is that they sound like super 501s. Very lifelike, organic mids and highs and insane seperation. Very precise can and the 708B is a beast of an amp power-wise as I barely have to crack the volume knob to get a good level of volume. My only slight complaint is that they don't have more thump but I am a basshead after all.

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 28
OK, so there may be something to the whole pads argument. I didn't think so at first, but I've been playing around with positioning and pad pressure alot, and when they're in the right position, the sound is much fuller. When they're in the wrong position, they're thinner and brighter. I've gotten them to sound quite full - still rather bright mind you, and the treble is still a bit overactive, but they no longer sound thin and wispy at all.

My God! They sound awesome now. Totally spank every other dynamic headphone under $1k that I've heard. I guess this is my honeymoon period kicking in, so I'll refrain from posting overly gushing impressions so that I don't eat my words later.

The MG Head drives them quite well I think; they're extremely liquid sounding, very lush and romantic, with too much midbass bloom but a very vivid midrange and sparkling highs. Now, these are really the characteristics of the MG Head that the K340's allow to shine through. Considering how old and how cheap this stuff is, it's sounding really good for the money.

What pads should I get for them? K501? And what's a good place to buy them? Yes, I know, there's the search...

Strangely enough, they echo some of the characteristics of the ES2, though they're much brighter of course...

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 28
Hey, that's great man. Glad that finally you like them for what they are. I have bass heavy version and if I compare them than my have a bit fuller sound, if I can say so. And the highs are less "bright". but the rest is the same. I have test it with heavy trance records and the light version is just as brilliant as the heavy one.
And I do believe in mods. When I have the money to do so I will definitely do.
Enjoy
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so there may be something to the whole pads argument. I didn't think so at first, but I've been playing around with positioning and pad pressure alot, and when they're in the right position, the sound is much fuller. When they're in the wrong position, they're thinner and brighter. I've gotten them to sound quite full - still rather bright mind you, and the treble is still a bit overactive, but they no longer sound thin and wispy at all.

My God! They sound awesome now. Totally spank every other dynamic headphone under $1k that I've heard. I guess this is my honeymoon period kicking in, so I'll refrain from posting overly gushing impressions so that I don't eat my words later.

The MG Head drives them quite well I think; they're extremely liquid sounding, very lush and romantic, with too much midbass bloom but a very vivid midrange and sparkling highs. Now, these are really the characteristics of the MG Head that the K340's allow to shine through. Considering how old and how cheap this stuff is, it's sounding really good for the money.

What pads should I get for them? K501? And what's a good place to buy them? Yes, I know, there's the search...

Strangely enough, they echo some of the characteristics of the ES2, though they're much brighter of course...

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 28
Pulled this pad info from a previous thread. I'm awaiting mine in the mail. Tried mrarroyo's at a mini meet and they make a huge difference in seal and comfort:

The velour pads do give a better seal as well as being more comfortable. They are AKG part # 2955Z2601 and can be bought for $12.63 each. I'm not sure if they ship outside the US, but I could help you with that if you were interested. Also they sent me an extra pad, so you would only need to buy one. The info is below.

Frank Rodriguez
Sales/Parts Administrator
Harman Pro North America
8500 Balboa Blvd
Northridge, CA 91329
Ph: 818-920-3279
Fax: 818-920.3208

All I can say is that Larry's mods make a huge difference. I had stock, and have compared only recabled K340s with my mods since then, and all, whom I know, agree that it's a no brainer: get the full headphile treatment.

I don't know your amp, but when I changed amps, it really brought mine to life. Right now, I have both the Heed Canamp and the Darkvoice 336i. I recommend either and prefer them over quite a few decent amps. I just got the Darkvoice and look forward to trying out suggested tubes to bring out the bass a tad. If that does it, the Darkvoice might take the lead over the Heed for me.

Check on the upcoming impressions thread for the S. Fl meet this coming weekend. There will be both stock and modded K340s, a wonderous selection of fine amps, and some dang good ears present.

Make a couple changes, and you won't regret it.

Happy listening!
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back