K271 Mk II vs DT770 pro/manufaktur vs ATH-A700 vs HD 600 vs D2000/5000
May 18, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #31 of 80
Andrew- Thanks for the comment about Moon Audio. I forgot about them completely. They have the 600 ohm version for $100 more than the K271's, which with the Compass would bring me to about $600 total. They have some other amps I was looking at. The iQube looks great, but at $500 not worth it. The Headamp AE2 looks nice as well (and I have seen a few positive things on here), but doesn't have the DAC. Realistically though, I don't know how much of the DAC I would be using (although would try to use it whenever possible, it's just a lot of listening takes place from my iPod).

DriftingBunnies- How come you would advise against taking it with as a portable amp? Do you have any alternatives to the Compass that would be a better option? I like the Compass a lot, because it offers lots of flexibility and a great starting point that won't be quickly outgrown.

The UAM- Moon Audio has standard 600 ohm's for about $70 less than Beyer's site for manufaktur. Granted I lose the ability to customize them, but that also saves me ~$150+ on customizations (most of which can be done aftermarket anyways if I really wanted). Although, Moon Audio has gotten me to think about buying them with the detachable cables after CanJam 09 instead (which would be what I was going to spend on custom manufaktur or more).

ting.mike- Well for some reason I was thinking the HD600 was a closed can, apparently it's not. Weird. My budget isn't limited per se, but I want to keep it reasonable (well as reasonable as audiophiles can be :p). I like cheaper, but would rather spend more and buy it right the first time instead of having to make multiple purchases.

All said and done I would like my upper limit to be $750 (although that's not set in stone), but if I can go cheaper that's fine too (The K271's+Compass=$450ish shipped, with standard 600 ohm 770's @ $550ish, and custom 600 ohm 770's @ $750+ depending on mods). So, I guess what I'm asking is:
1- are the DT 770's worth the extra $100?
2- If so, are they worth being modded for $300+ over the k271's (and almost doubling the cost)?
3- Is the Compass the best amp to pair with the headphones chosen based on answers to #1 and #2? Oh, and while we're on the subject, how much is shipping (i.e. is it just the ~$50, or is there more due to customs and such)? The amp is $260+$50+$40 for OPA's= aprox $350, but if customs bumps that to $400+ it may not be the right amp choice especially if it's not portable, then *unfortunately* I'll need to look elsewhere for an amp.
4- If the Compass isn't the best, what about the AE2, Headroom Micro amp, Headroom Bithead, used iQube (if I can find one), KICAS, or something totally different?

May 18, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #32 of 80
I do have the DT770 250 ohm pro, and in here they sell for about the same price as the K271. But in the states, the 271 is only $150ish, and that's a killer price. I really don't think it's worth the extra price for the DT770 at that pricing.

So I would get the K271 mk2.
Spend all the extra budget on a very nice amp. Get something better than the Compass. I would think you now have around $600 for an amp. There are a lot of choices for $600.

BTW, compass isn't exactly a portable amp, more like desktop. And I would suggest skipping portable amps unless you reaally2 have to go that way (all the cans you are considering aren't exactly portable either).

May 18, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #33 of 80
Can't agree more with ting.mike...
Prices are so high here in Indonesia...

I've listened both, and I liked K271 mkII more than DT770.

May 18, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #36 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't agree more with ting.mike...
Prices are so high here in Indonesia...

I've listened both, and I liked K271 mkII more than DT770.

hehe and I liked DT770 more than K271.. anyway now you know that personal preference is such a big thing in this hobby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by killz23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the difference between DT 770 80 and 250 ohm? Which is better?
I'm still thinking whether to take Dt770 or senn HD 555 or Audiotechnica AD700...

DT770 250 ohm is generally believed as the better sounding one.

And your question on DT770, HD555, and AD700 is something that you'll have to listen for yourself and judge.

May 18, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #39 of 80
it should.. at least for the 250 ohm version.

not sure about the 80 ohm though.. The 80 ohm 770 M version was awful when I heard it. but again, that's different than the 80 ohm 770 PRO.

gosh there are like 100 different types of DT770.

May 18, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #40 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have the DT770 250 ohm pro, and in here they sell for about the same price as the K271. But in the states, the 271 is only $150ish, and that's a killer price. I really don't think it's worth the extra price for the DT770 at that pricing.

So I would get the K271 mk2.
Spend all the extra budget on a very nice amp. Get something better than the Compass. I would think you now have around $600 for an amp. There are a lot of choices for $600.

BTW, compass isn't exactly a portable amp, more like desktop. And I would suggest skipping portable amps unless you reaally2 have to go that way (all the cans you are considering aren't exactly portable either).

The DT770 is only $100 more from Blue Moon audio, and if the DT770 is the better sounding can that's what I'd do (or if the K271 does I'd go that route).

Now, for the amp. I figured the Compass was more a desktop amp once I saw pictures of it, but need something I can take with me to work and home because I'm doing about 70% of audio listening at work but also listen at home regularly as well.

If I got the K271's, I would like to keep the amp to ~$400 or less. Anybody have any suggestions for good amps with the K271's instead of the Compass in that price range?

May 18, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #41 of 80
Well, I just found the 2 cans used. The K271's are even cheaper (and are almost a "buy it anyways" deal) and the DT770 250 ohm's are the same price as new K271's. I have no issues with buying used gear, and then just get an amp at some point and be done with it for less than $750 total.

So, if the DT770's are the same price as the K271's which is the better buy?

EDIT
Regarding amps- I have read up on some stuff over in portable amps. I don't need a DAC, just an amp (but if it had a DAC I wouldn't complain lol). I think I will end up with the P-51 Mustang or Headamp Pico if the Compass is too large to really be used as a portable amp

May 18, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #42 of 80
In the Compass price range and if DAC is not required, there is the Audio-gd C2C or KICAS or KICAS Caliente.

If DAC is needed, I honestly cannot suggest anything at that price-point because the Compass has such a killer price-performance ratio. There's the Peridot DAC/Amp but it virtually has no reputation yet.

May 18, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #43 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the Compass price range and if DAC is not required, there is the Audio-gd C2C or KICAS or KICAS Caliente.

If DAC is needed, I honestly cannot suggest anything at that price-point because the Compass has such a killer price-performance ratio. There's the Peridot DAC/Amp but it virtually has no reputation yet.

The C2C is more expensive than the Compass. So, unless the C2C is a much better amp wouldn't the Compass be the better option at a cheaper price? Also, while I don't *need* the DAC I don't believe the OPA's (Earth/Moon/Sun) can be used correct? It would be nice to have this ability.

The KICAS is another I've looked at as well, and need to see some reviews comparing it to the Compass/Pico/P-51 Mustang (if I can)

May 18, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #44 of 80
The Compass is really good for the money, but it's not "portable". You can bring it to work and home but the thing is bigger than a laptop and I'm not sure about you, but I'd keep the moving to a minimum. There aren't really alternatives for the Compass because

1. It's still at it's promo price
2. It's a full size and you would like a portable.
3. It's built in china so the price is cheaper.

If you want something that is around the same price but cheaper, DIY is the route you want to take. There's always a premium when buying portable dac/amps. Oh and FYI, a portable amp will most likely not be able to full amp a 600 ohm DT770. You'll need the compass for that, or at least something that will plug into the wall and not use batteries.

May 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #45 of 80
I agree with ting.mike, the 250 ohm will be your best bet. I would think the 770 would be more suitable for you. You can wear them for long periods of time, (very comfortable!) they cancel out a lot of sound, and they sound nice for what there worth.
To answer your questions...
1. Hell yes!
2. No... Not worth it at all.
3. The Compass is considered to be the best Amp/DAC under $400. It is not big as it is heavy (judging by the solid aluminum case) It will depend on how much your book bag will be able to take lugging this thing around... (Anyways, I would still recommend the Compass due to its amazing performance. Ie, not needing to upgrading your amp again!)
4. The Headroom Total Bithead looks nice, but It may not run the 770's OR 272's to there full potential...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back