K271 Mk II vs DT770 pro/manufaktur vs ATH-A700 vs HD 600 vs D2000/5000
May 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

DisgruntledVirus

New Head-Fier
I have been reading here for a while trying to figure out what new pair of cans to buy. I have never had "audiophile" type cans before (the Steelseries 5H v2's was my last set of cans), but have listened to a lot of "audiophile" home speakers. Focal, Paradigm, B&W, etc are some of the brands I have spent many hours with, and want that high quailty sound in a pair of cans.

I realize open air designs are going to give that more so then closed designs, but I must have a closed can because it's used at work. I also want some isolation of outside noise (which will be an added bonus to closed designs). Unfortunately, I don't have anyplace I am able to really audition headphones, and don't know anybody with any of these cans.

My budget isn't set in stone, but would like to keep this <$750 if possible with amp (if needed). I am willing to go higher than $500, but I won't go over $1000 for it. My source is going to be primarily my iPod, which isn't the best but need the portability and such. I want cans that give me the best sound (which for reference Focal speakers are my fav speakers, with Paradigms being on the bright side, and B&W being second fav with not quite as bright highs as Paradigm), and will spend a decent chunk of change for that.

The AKG K251 Mk II- I was set on these cans, but lately have read stuff that has turned me off to them because of lacking sound quality. They have the removable cable (which I love, because the 5H's cable went bad before they really broke), come with multiple pads, and I like the design/look.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro/manufaktur- I don't know if I should go for the 80 ohm, 250 ohm, Pro, manufaktur, or try to find the 2005 version. The DT 770 I believe has the most sound profile I am looking for (detailed highs, accurate/tight bass, more "analytical" and accurate sound) based on reviews. I am just confused about the model's, and don't want one with muddy bass, or thump too it.

The AudioTechnica ATH-A700- haven't seen too much, but it's on my list to look at. Headphone.com's review of them is good, price where I want, response graph looks good, etc.

Senn HD 600/650- These forums seem to love the 600/650 cans, and seem to be a universally "go to" headphone. Not a huge fan of how they look, but if the sound is similar to focal/B&W towers then I really wouldn't care that much.

Denon D5000- currently can be found for $450 shipped, and have seen a lot of highly positive reviews of them. Mark L mod seems to be highly reviewed as well.

As for the amp side of things, I am looking at the KICAS, Headroom micro amp, or something up to $350ish. It will depend on the cans I get though (their price and also the best sound pairing).

Anyhelp would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance!
atsmile.gif

May 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 80
For an amp, you could probably grab an AudioGD compass which has received some alright reviews here. It's an AMP/DAC combo and is still on sale to the end of the month if i recall correctly.

You can probably cross the ATH-A700 off your list because the A series isnt as highly regarded as the AD or L or W series.

The 770 in my opinion has bright, sibilant highs. the manufaktur version of the 770 should be the 2005. The bass isnt controlled or incredibly detailed. But they are very fun cans (no where near analytical which better describes the DT880).

Cant comment on the AKG phone but I cant imagine you would be disappointed with the 600/650 or 5000.
the 600 and 650 are open (very open).

Someone will chime in eventually
wink.gif

What genres of music do you listen to? (for people who come after)

May 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 770 in my opinion has bright, sibilant highs. the manufaktur version of the 770 should be the 2005. The bass isnt controlled or incredibly detailed. But they are very fun cans (no where near analytical which better describes the DT880).

The DT770 2005 consumer edition has IMO a controlled and detailed bass.
And they are analytical/ detailed as well.
Some would say these are the closed version of the DT880.
Totally different than the DT770 Pro's.

Manufaktur are the DT770 2005 edition that you can order from the Beyer webshop with modifications to your likings.

May 16, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 80
For an amp, I would recommend the Audio-gd Compass...

Headphone would be the 770 pros 250....

That is all...

May 16, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

For an amp, you could probably grab an AudioGD compass which has received some alright reviews here. It's an AMP/DAC combo and is still on sale to the end of the month if i recall correctly.

You can probably cross the ATH-A700 off your list because the A series isnt as highly regarded as the AD or L or W series.

Cant comment on the AKG phone but I cant imagine you would be disappointed with the 600/650 or 5000.
the 600 and 650 are open (very open).

Someone will chime in eventually
wink.gif

What genres of music do you listen to? (for people who come after)

I'm leaning primarily towards the D5000, K271, or DT770 manufaktur with the DT 770's leading the list right now. I would like to get the DT 880's, but due to their open air design they are not an option. I've been playing around on the manufaktur website, and noticed the European one has more options. Is it possible to order one from the .de site, and have them ship it here? I realize it would be more expensive, but I kind of like how the carbon fiber looks.

To answer your question about what music do I listen to:
Rock
Symphonic metal (bands like Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation)
Some harder metal
Alternative
90's grunge
some classical

Female vocals are one of the main things I look for in accurate sound reproduction, in addition to stringed instruments (like Apocalyptica's cellos for example).

Thanks for pointing out that amp, I am definitely going to read up on it some more. It looks very interesting, and is added to my list of amps to look at.
k701smile.gif

May 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For an amp, I would recommend the Audio-gd Compass...

Headphone would be the 7700 pros 80....

That is all...

How come the 770 pro 80's instead of the 770 manufaktur 80/250?

May 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledVirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been playing around on the manufaktur website, and noticed the European one has more options. Is it possible to order one from the .de site, and have them ship it here? I realize it would be more expensive, but I kind of like how the carbon fiber looks.

Shippingcosts worldwide are 20 Euro, see beyerdynamic Shop*-*Shipping

May 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770 2005 consumer edition has IMO a controlled and detailed bass.
And they are analytical/ detailed as well.
Some would say these are the closed version of the DT880.
Totally different than the DT770 Pro's.

Manufaktur are the DT770 2005 edition that you can order from the Beyer webshop with modifications to your likings.

When i tried the 2005, they didnt sound much different to the pro on the same amp other than the huge treble spike vs blanketed which hid the mids a little more than the pro, in my opinion. But you're the expert.
beyersmile.png

out of curiosity, what made you choose the M-Audio Studiophile Q40 over the 770 2005?

May 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 80
Quote:

When i tried the 2005, they didnt sound much different to the pro on the same amp other than the huge treble spike vs blanketed which hid the mids a little more than the pro, in my opinion. But you're the expert.
beyersmile.png

out of curiosity, what made you choose the M-Audio Studiophile Q40 over the 770 2005?

I'm no more an expert then you, we both have ears
smily_headphones1.gif

But most people, including me, do notice big differences in openness, airyness, less but better bass, better mids, wider/deeper soundstage, more detail and a lot more treble.

I didn't choose the Q40 over the DT770. I sold the Beyer because of the hot treble and the sibilance. Their replacements are the GMT250 and K270P.
I bought the Q40 out of curiosity. Will be sellng them soon, because of discomfort, too much bass and too narrow soundstage.

May 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 80
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

But most people, including me, do notice big differences in openness, airyness, less but better bass, better mids, wider/deeper soundstage, more detail and a lot more treble.

I didn't choose the Q40 over the DT770. I sold the Beyer because of the hot treble and the sibilance. Their replacements are the GMT250 and K270P.
I bought the Q40 out of curiosity. Will be sellng them soon, because of discomfort, too much bass and too narrow soundstage.

The DT770's have lots of "hot treble" (which I'm assuming is a way of saying lots of treble), and sibilance?

So, it sounds like people would say the DT770, D5000, or Senn HD600/HD650. How big is the Compass amp/DAC? Is it too large to carry with me to/from work and school in my bookbag? Is the Micro amp from Headphone.com a good amp for any of these cans? Anybody have any other suggestions for good amps to pair with these 3 cans?

May 17, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 80
Bit off topic but something that should be addressed, the problem with HD650 is that they cost over twice as much as DT770. At least they do in Canada. Do they sound twice as good? Not going by from what I have read. I have DT990pro and some people like those better than HD650 so why the huge disparity in price? I can get a new pair of DT990pro for $225.00 CAD right now and the HD650 would cost me $535.00 CAD. HD650 just does not seem like a good buy at that price at all.

May 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledVirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaning primarily towards the D5000, K271, or DT770 manufaktur with the DT 770's leading the list right now.

If you go Manufaktur route, make sure to get 600Ohm version, otherwise you are just wasting your money on the bling.
Not sure what your read about K271S lacking in sound quality, it does many things better than D2000 and DT770, and if you are after female vocals, none of the mentioned phones does them better than AKG. I have tried and get rid of a lot of closed phones (you can check my profile) but still keep veloured K271S, just can't find a true substitution.

May 17, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

You have spent a larger amount of time with a larger amount of cans, thats for sure. I did indeed notice less bass, although the rest to me was trivial in terms of making another purchase, nor buying them instead of the 80 pro at the time (my first "better than low-fi can) considering the large price gap locally (wanted to buy safe the first time around). Currently i just can not justify to myself owning both when theres a lot of different sounds to enjoy. The 80 pro definitely feels in the club, which I am currently enjoying and hopefully will continue to when my headphone collection inevitably grows.

As for the mids, I dont find the mids terribly awful coming out of the LDMKIII, although they do sound too quiet compared to the rest of the music straight out of my soundcard. I'm not a fan of female vocals on them either.
Thanks for the information about the Q40, its been interesting me in the last few weeks.

@ milkweg, i somewhat agree. From what I have seen the HD600 can be had for half the price of a 650 and in my opinion doesnt offer much to justify such a purchase. More bass and a paintjob is all I see as different which I cant seem to justify spending an extra ~200 USD on (which is why I have eliminated them from my next purchase).

Also, tieman since you yourself state that you have spent a lot of time modifying the beyer DT line, I was wondering if you know of a way (preferably reversible) to make the 770pro sound more like the consumer edition.
Cheers mate
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 80
The K271 Mk2 is a very nice cans.
The Dt770 Pro 250 ohm is also a very nice one which I happen to own.

The HD600 is in a higher league than the AKG and DT770, but I don't dig the sound sig. But you may like it.
The D5000 is also in a higher league than the AKG and the DT770, but I've never heard them.

May 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 80
Well I've heard all but A700 & D5000.

In my opinion, this is the rank of those cans based on my music preference:
1. HD600 (especially on tube amps + Equinox recable, bass authority wonderful mids, smooth treble)
2. K271 Mk II (great unamped 55ohm only, good mid)
3. D2000 (okay to me)
4. DT770 pro/manufaktur (I disliked DT770 and DT990
frown.gif
)

If I can add another cans to the list, I would add:

0. AKG K340 (OMG! high, OMG! mid, tight low but no punch...)
2. HD580 (with Equinox, OMG! vocal transparency & very articulated) #tie with HD600#

Users who are viewing this thread

Back