K240s velour pads
Dec 9, 2005 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

K2Grey

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Has anyone had good experience with getting velour pads onto AKG K240s? I've seen some attempts in the past with two different Beyerdynamic model pads, with differing results and wonder if anyone has had luck lately.

In addition, with the new AKG K601 and K701 velour pads, I was wondering if anyone had managed them to get them onto the K240s and what their impressions were. I have heard on AKG forums that at they fit the K501 at least. Now, K501 and K240s pads are different IIRC, but still I wonder if it was possible to get them on.

Dec 9, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 16
the pads for the mb-quart qp-400 fit onto the k-240's like they are made for them. no weird gluing, or excessive streching.

i dont know where to buy them, or how muych they cost thoug.

they do DEMOLISH the bass. it is still clear, but very rolled off. i like it, but be warned.

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 16
Oddly enough that someone asks. Got a call today from Pat Burns (the AKG super parts lady). They finally have received their first shipment (USA) and now 2 pairs are on their way to ME! They are avail. for k240 and k271. In just a few more days I'll be completely pleather-free.
FYI the cost from AKG comes to $25+ a pair + shipping expense.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 16
Cool, post your impressions of the velour pads
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Nice thread, I shall look into getting these too once the first impressions are in
smily_headphones1.gif

(I just wonder if there is a cheaper/better alternative than the new official ones, such as the "mb-quart qp-400" pads mentioned here)

Dec 9, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 16
hmmm....i wonder how these would sound with the akg k340? If it makes the bass rolled off, then that doesnt really help the sound of the 340s. hmmm....decisions....

Dec 9, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 16
If you wanted to send the modded k340 to me at an unverifiable address for an audition with velour pads - I'll be happy to perform this service.......but you may wish to keep an alternate pair of 340 on hand, as your shipped pair could get lost in transit
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Oddly enough that someone asks. Got a call today from Pat Burns (the AKG super parts lady). They finally have received their first shipment (USA) and now 2 pairs are on their way to ME! They are avail. for k240 and k271. In just a few more days I'll be completely pleather-free.
FYI the cost from AKG comes to $25+ a pair + shipping expense.
tongue.gif

Please let us know how they sound. I'm getting a pair of K240s for Christmas
icon10.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 16
Received my pads on 12/16. They are black, and are exactly the same as Sennheiser Velours (have to be same subcontractor). Certainly, they are more comfortable to me, although the reduction in "sweat" factor is not a monumental difference.......any differences in sound is not remarkable......but, I DO prefer them over the original pleathers......remember, this is only part of an evenings' reflection............would I buy any more of them in conjunction with future AKG cans? Yes!

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
If it makes the bass rolled off, then that doesnt really help the sound of the 340s. hmmm....decisions....

All reports I've heard on velour pads for other headphones seems to point to them boosting bass a bit... suffice it to say I am getting a pair to try with my K340's. I just need to find a place in Canada that will sell them to me.
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to post my impressions of the AKG velour pads which I received just a few days ago.

First of all, they aren't as comfortable as Beyer velour pads. The coushy feeling just isn't there. They do feel like they're more durable than the Beyer pads, which is certainly a plus.

They're by no means broken in yet, but as they are now the sound hasn't changed hardly at all. Currently they make the K271 lean ever-so-slightly (and I do mean slightly) more towards the treble, but I don't feel this is any different from an unbroken-in pair of pleather earpads.

Essentially, they're not a huge improvement over the stock pleather earpads, but they do make it somewhat easier to forget that you're wearing the headphones at all. As BushGuy stated, there's not a big difference in sweat-factor, but it is there. Well worth my $30, but such are my priorities. Hell, I could've bought 2 pair of KSC-75s for that!

Jan 3, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to post my impressions of the AKG velour pads which I received just a few days ago.

First of all, they aren't as comfortable as Beyer velour pads. The coushy feeling just isn't there. They do feel like they're more durable than the Beyer pads, which is certainly a plus.

They're by no means broken in yet, but as they are now the sound hasn't changed hardly at all. Currently they make the K271 lean ever-so-slightly (and I do mean slightly) more towards the treble, but I don't feel this is any different from an unbroken-in pair of pleather earpads.

Essentially, they're not a huge improvement over the stock pleather earpads, but they do make it somewhat easier to forget that you're wearing the headphones at all. As BushGuy stated, there's not a big difference in sweat-factor, but it is there. Well worth my $30, but such are my priorities. Hell, I could've bought 2 pair of KSC-75s for that!

Do you find that they make a tight seal around your ear?... say... as compared to the OEM pleather?

Thanks,
Garrett

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 16
Two related answers. Vis a vie Beyer pads- the AKG tend to seal better, but I would disagree as to a change in sound towards treble............AKG Pleather vs. Velour - I'd say they (Velour) seal a bit better - not monumental, but simply a bit..............though I can say the same when re-placing pleather with Velour on Senn. HD25-1 and HME25-13 - they all feel firmer than the Pleather (new) originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back