K240S - Good Decision?
Sep 25, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #16 of 58
fewtch -- The K240s was everything I expected it to be from reading here. I do prefer my DT531 most of the time, but the K240s has some just amazing mids and nice DEEP bass. Go for it, esp. for soul/funk, and even female vocals.

Seldom mentioned -- nice build quality in this price range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I wish I could try your XD400s!

My local Best Buy has a set out for demo. Perhaps yours does too! Bring a DAP or PCDP.

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'm going to
smily_headphones1.gif
. Even the more negative descriptions I've read haven't turned me off... they sound like a particular sort of euphony that's very seductive, particularly at the price-point of the k240s. Will definitely have a pair by early next month. Looking forward to listening to some vinyl with these cans.

Theyre great cans for $85, you can certainly do a lot worse. They fill a nice nitch in a very competitive market segment.

Theres a guy selling them for $80 new shipped on ebay. Print the ebay add and take it to local guitar center or sam ash to try and get a price match.

Compared to HD580: More forward mids, easier to drive, less soundstage, less detailed.
Compared to K501: More bass, easier to drive, less soundstage, less detailed.
Compared to $100 grado/Alessandro: Substantially bigger soundstage, less forward mids/highs, harder to drive, more sub bass extension.
Compared to DT770: Tighter bass, Overall more open sound, sense of air and ambiance around notes, better soundstage, flatter response across the spectrum, less harsh mids.

They are a little bass heavy, and certainly are not the most detail revealing... but thats where the socket mod comes in. Pick the right amp circuit, spend the time OP amp rolling and the result can be as bright or as veiled as you want.

I'm groovalizing to Dreamtheater Live @ Bodokan as i type this... John Myungs can of choice:
401268_239_full.jpg

Stellar cans IMHO. Bravo AKG!!!
Garrett

Sep 25, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Theres a guy selling them for $80 new shipped on ebay. Print the ebay add and take it to local guitar center or sam ash to try and get a price match.

I don't have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash anywhere too close, so I'll probably just order from that eBay seller (I know which one you mean) and take my chances... more convenient. Hopefully it's not some NOS clearance with the older k240s's with different connectors, or whatever.
Quote:

They are a little bass heavy, and certainly are not the most detail revealing... but thats where the socket mod comes in.

Still haven't completely decided on that yet... will have to hear them unmodded first. I'm not a big fan of modding in general, it potentially reduces resale value, and it looks like this one subjects the drivers to exposure (& potential damage).

Sep 25, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

I don't have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash anywhere too close, so I'll probably just order from that eBay seller (I know which one you mean) and take my chances... more convenient. Hopefully it's not some NOS clearance with the older k240s's with different connectors, or whatever.

If seller is "audio-video-systems" I purchased my K240s brand-new from him. In short, it was a great transaction.

Sep 25, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
If seller is "audio-video-systems" I purchased my K240s brand-new from him. In short, it was a great transaction.

Nah, it's 'misfitproaudiotoys'. They have pretty good feedback. Not sure if they'll have anymore k240s auctions up when I get paid (03 oct) but if not I'll look for another seller.

Sep 25, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Still haven't completely decided on that yet... will have to hear them unmodded first. I'm not a big fan of modding in general, it potentially reduces resale value, and it looks like this one subjects the drivers to exposure (& potential damage).

Yes you are right... one alternative is to replace the OEM fabric cover, and fabricate your own. Use thinner fabric that is more transparent. Its an easy mod and is completely reversible.

Garrett

Sep 25, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

one alternative is to replace the OEM fabric cover, and fabricate your own. Use thinner fabric that is more transparent.

I've been thinking of doing this the past few days. I'm still looking for a suitable material.
confused.gif
The stock driver covers are a thin foam that has enough rigidity to stay flat, so I don't know how to go thinner without getting into wrinkle/pucker/#*%$!-thing-won't-stay-put issues.

Sep 25, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
I've been thinking of doing this the past few days. I'm still looking for a suitable material.
confused.gif
The stock driver covers are a thin foam that has enough rigidity to stay flat, so I don't know how to go thinner without getting into wrinkle/pucker/#*%$!-thing-won't-stay-put issues.

i was thinking little pieces of masking tape around the perimeter and stretch the pads over it to conceal it ???

Maybe?
Garrett

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #24 of 58
i hope no one minds that i revived this old thread. fewtch, you always surprise me lol. well i am surprised you asked this question for seeing all your other posts. anyways i wanted to let you (and everyone else) know that the k240s with "speaker gauze" instead of the thick driver covers and stefans 1/4" cable is currently beating out my hd650 in my opinion. thats pretty amazing for $250. they are not nearly as criticle. but that is what makes them sound so relaxing and flowing.

also i wanted fewtch (and everyone else) know that the rolls ha43 paired with a ratshack 273-1667 is totally different then the stock wallwart. it powers the k240s to bliss. and it fits where i had no room left!

i was loving the modded px100 best untill i did this combo. currently it is my favorite. and you all know i have some ok cans.

can it compete with $1000 cans? i doubt it. can it compete with the k701? different. but right now for anything less than $500 including amp(realizing you can get hd650 for $300) it is rocking my world!

this total combination makes the k240s into serious cans. stock without an amp they are just hum-ho. thats my main point here.
i didn't see if you actually bought them, fewtch. but if you did and they didn't live up to your expectations you might want to do all this to them. on the other hand please don't shoot me if you do all this and don't like it anyways, ymmv.

music_man.

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
i hope no one minds that i revived this old thread. fewtch, you always surprise me lol.

I hope that's a good thing...
wink.gif

Quote:

well i am surprised you asked this question for seeing all your other posts.

Huh... ? Been awhile since I read this thread, which question are you talking about? Re: How good is the K240S? It's history at this point that I went with their European cousin, the classicalizer DT880. K240s could still be in my future somewhere, still haven't found an ideal rock can...

Quote:

also i wanted fewtch (and everyone else) know that the rolls ha43 paired with a ratshack 273-1667 is totally different then the stock wallwart. it powers the k240s to bliss. and it fits where i had no room left!

Rolls HA43 was one of the first amps I owned, and I tried it with several power sources (including a battery pack, I think). Suffice it to say it disappeared fast, but to each their own ears...

P.S. Rolls HA43 (and other 'studio amps') are intended for studio-type cans... I wonder if that's why they synergize so well with K240s? A quote from a website selling them: The K-240 Studio headphones have an impedance that is matched to todays "studio in a box" products, as well as inexpensive headphone amplifiers, compact mixers, and keyboard products.

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #26 of 58
i was just thinking that you had some pretty good cans and everyone else speaks of the k240s as 'entry level'. but still smart of you to ask about it because it is darn good with the right cable and foam over the drivers imho.

yeah i meant a good thing that you surprise me
smily_headphones1.gif

did you try the amp with a BIG linear regulated AND filtered psu? i dunno but to the k240s it makes them sound good. yeah better amps sound better but i didn't have the room at my bed. overall i was pretty pleased/surprised by this setup. i have dt770-80 and like these much better now. they are not 'really' as nice as the 650's. well either i am kidding myself or as i said in a post i made somewhere here yesterday i cannot get over the fact that lower priced cans could serve me better than higher priced ones. and again not bashing senn or any other brand. they all have their place.

what's so cool about the k240s(moded, with amp) is that they sound like they are 5 feet away like speakers. to me a good thing at the moment. and i don't mean like cheap speakers either. not apogees, maybe kef's. yeah thats it these are the kef 107-5 of headphones! thats's saying a darn lot coming from me too! i like'em!

music_man.

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
i was just thinking that you had some pretty good cans and everyone else speaks of the k240s as 'entry level'. but still smart of you to ask about it because it is darn good with the right cable and foam over the drivers imho.

yeah i meant a good thing that you surprise me
smily_headphones1.gif

Well hey, got some Portapros too. HD580 is not so hot with rock, and remember I didn't have the DT880 at that point (which incidentally, isn't so hot with a lot of rock either).

Quote:

did you try the amp with a BIG linear regulated AND filtered psu? i dunno but to the k240s it makes them sound good. yeah better amps sound better but i didn't have the room at my bed.

Don't remember... all I can recall is that it was a painfully bright amp, but I've heard that those "semi-pro" amps are meant for studio-type cans.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #28 of 58
fewtch: The K240S works splendidly with a PortaCorda(II) - I see no reason why that should be much different with a Go-Vibe. Actually, I think you'd love that thingy - the only critical point I see could be the perception of bass. To me it's kinda full-bodied with a plush atmosphere that engulfs its punch, but others might also perceive that as flabby. And with inappropriate amplification, it can indeed sound flabby or downright weird. Still, I somehow have that feeling that you'd like it - as it might convey exactly that bass fun you seem to be missing in the DT880...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
How does the K240S compare to the SR60 for rock and metal music?

Yeah the AKG is a superb value. IMHO a best buy at the $80 mark, unless youre looking for someting specific (super-flat response of the HD280, or exagerated mids of the V6 ...etc).

It does not need a very robust amplifier circuit at all. I use mine with my un-modded govibe and its a stellar budget rig.

Compared to the SR60.... Not as forward and quick across the spectrum. AKG has more sub-bass extension. More relaxed sounding than the SR60. SR60 beats it slightly for guitar tones and vocals. AKG beats it slightly for just about everything else.

Theyre both great cans though, it comes down to preferences.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back