K1000's low frequency buzzing caused by stock cable
Nov 20, 2006 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

applebook

1000+ Head-Fier
or at this is my experience. I re-wired my K1000 with some Canare Star Quad, which is properly insuated and shielded, unlike the garbage stock cable, and now my left driver's buzzing during extreme bass has disappeared, not to mention everything sounds significantly clearer and cleaner, with a larger and deeper soundstage, than before. In case you haven't seen the wiring inside the K1000, here is the stock cable:

This is absolutely unacceptable for a $1000 can.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 7
Are you sure it was the cable? Usually, a buzzing happens when there's a piece of debris against the driver. Perhaps it worked loose or fell out when you opened them.

I have stock cables on mine. Zero problems.

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Most K1000s don't have the buzzing problem, but there are a decent number of us who are afflicted with this annoyance. Mine is in the 10,3XX range and was purchased brand new only a bit over a year ago. The original owner had it cleaned fairly well, and I had cleaned the diaphram and drivers several times, but the buzzing persisted. I tried the cans nude (sans metal grills), and the buzz was still present. Heck, I tried just the drivers unattached to the headband and couldn't get rid of the buzzing.
eek.gif

All that I know is that after I changed swapped out the stock cable, the buzzing has vanished. For those who have the buzz and are using the stock cable, please consider re-cabling it.

Nov 20, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 7
I guess that recabling is good advice to those that have had this problem, but this is the first I've heard of it. I have zero problems as well.

I don't see what's unnaceptable with the stock cable? It looks like an insulated cable. Nothing extraordinary, but most stock headphone cables aren't. That's why people recable them.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 7
bumping an old thread to see if anyone else has encountered this problem, as I get the exact same thing in the left driver as well. Somewhat surprisingly, the cost of recabling is cheaper than replacing the driver, so I'm interested in anyone's thoughts.

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 7
yea I've tried cleaning them but that didn't help much...is there a legitimate possibility of it being the cable? I can't imagine how that'd work

edit: it's in the right driver now too
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back