K1000/Shanling MC-30 night of indulgence
May 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tiga3mata

100+ Head-Fier
A Weekend of Indulgence

When my kids came along 3 years ago, I sold my high end stereo system and went cold turkey. However, the urge for music was always present. Sadly, the best that I could do was to vicariously indulge my interest as a lurker in this forum.

That is....until recently.... I took the plunge when a set of the K1000 became available for sale. Unfortunately, I did not have the amplification available so for the past fortnight, the closest I came to enjoy the music was fondling the headset after putting the kiddos to bed.

Well, with the missus away on holiday, I decided to maximize on a weekend of indulgence by putting money down on a set of Shanling MC-30. I realise this goes against the prevailing wisdom for amplification for the K1000, but considering my budget (the Shanling MC-30 can be had for a significant discount over US prices In Singapore) and the distinct lack of equipment options where I live, I felt it was worth a punt.

This not an attempt at an objective review! Prior to this, I have zilch experience in headphones. The opinions are based on comparisons with my stereo system and a studio audition against a 8wpc Melody 300b/se amplification.

In short, it was a night to remember. After putting the kiddos to bed, I lovingly set up the spanking new Shanling, hooked up the as yet unused K1000, move my easy chair into the bedroom, turned the air-con on and proceeded to rediscover my CD collection.

The MC-30 had enough juice to drive the K1000 to ear splitting levels without audible distortion. It was bright sounding at first but mellowed out after a couple of hours. It still lacks the weightiness of the Melody combo but not by much. It did not do so well with techno electronic (eg Tubular Bells by Michael Oldfield) type music where the sound was uninvolving. The opposite was true for orchestral music. Listening to track 3 of Symphonic Music of the Rolling Stones, Under My Thumb with Michael Hutchence was an immersive experience. The forward placement of his vocals contrasted nicely with the large and expansive orchestral backup that emerged from a very silent background. (I think that has to do with the K1000 strength at placement within a soundstage).

Other standout albums includes Tapestry Revisted and Anne Murray's Crooning where the vocals were well rounded and effortless. It is true that the quality of recording is ruthlessly revealed by the K1000 but the well documented brightness of the K1000 was not evident through the MC-30. Compared to the Melody, it perhaps could do with a bit more definition and control in the lower register. However, considering that it is 1/7th the costs, that is probably an unfair comparison. Live recordings were especially well rendered. The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over and James Taylor One Man Band concerts was protrayed with delightful clarity and enveloping ambience!

Would I recommend the K1000/Shanling MC-30? Without a doubt....especially cosidering the all-in costs. Most importantly, it made me smile. It makes a great uncomplicated system for enthusiasts with family and budgetry restrictions.

And I am one happy camper in the midst of a weekend of indulgance!

May 3, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the write-up....intriguing indeed. I've heard and read a lot about how critical it is to match the right amp with the K1000. Whilst some have said that you can get away with the cheaper options (Trends Audio, King Rex, Big Joes, etc.) most suggest that you need a big-hitter to really get what the K1000 is truly capable of.

In the past couple of weeks - thanks to the kindness of a fellow member - I've had the opportunity to try out a K1000 powered by a Jadis Orchestra Reference. It has been a revelation....though I think the combo could do with a bit more taming (its those darn KT90's
tongue.gif
)

May 4, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 10
In the past couple of weeks - thanks to the kindness of a fellow member - I've had the opportunity to try out a K1000 powered by a Jadis Orchestra Reference. It has been a revelation....though I think the combo could do with a bit more taming (its those darn KT90's [img said:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

Ha ha....wish I had friends like that too....that will be my next project! Like most things in life, its a compromise and right now, I am very happy with the costs vs outcome.

May 4, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 10
Good for you! As for now I'm only having it connected to a Marantz integrated amp. A PM6002 to be precise. Sounds great to my ears, but seriously some day I should try other amps
wink.gif

May 4, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by djork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you! As for now I'm only having it connected to a Marantz integrated amp. A PM6002 to be precise. Sounds great to my ears, but seriously some day I should try other amps
wink.gif

Totally agreed.....Rule number one: It must sound good to your ears regardless of price!

May 4, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 10
I must say the Shanling MC-30 is a bargain to have, especially for 230V a.c. version which can be had at a much lower price than the export version to North America.

I guess one has to shell out much more to exceed what the MC-30 offers.

F. Lo

May 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for taking the time to share!.. There is not much real people reviews on Shanling MC-30 otherwise...

I "went cold turkey"myself 10 years ago, with both kids and an overseas move. Now returning, started with AKG K701s, just with a 5G iPod now, and still what a joy!.. I am getting a SACD player soon, then a tube amp closer to the Holidays, and plan to enjoy every step!

May 5, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wazowski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for taking the time to share!.. There is not much real people reviews on Shanling MC-30 otherwise...

I "went cold turkey"myself 10 years ago, with both kids and an overseas move. Now returning, started with AKG K701s, just with a 5G iPod now, and still what a joy!.. I am getting a SACD player soon, then a tube amp closer to the Holidays, and plan to enjoy every step!

Way to go! Gotta feel good about yourself first before you can be of any good to others!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back