K1000 Mods
Jan 21, 2005 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RonD2

Head-Fier
Has anybody replaced the entire cable (i.e. from speaker to amp) on their K1000s? Have any comparisons between different cables been done? Anyone tried the full replacement Equinox? How about experimenting with various raw wire, i.e solid core silver, silver/copper combos, etc?

It seems to me that some fairly small guage wire is needed to go through the rubber sleeve into the earspeaker, maybe 22 or smaller?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 14
I did do a search but couldn't find much on replacing the full cable, i.e. "hardwired'. Doesn't sound like too many people have done this.

I have removed the small board (the notch filter?) and now want to connect the drivers directly to the amp (a modded T-amp).

I will try some Cardas 22 guage next week but am curious if anybody else has tried other kinds of wire. Anybody?

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 14
I've done that here
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 14
Xanadu,

I agree with your description of the sound improvement after the pcb-ectomy. I have yet to hear the "ringing" note(s).

Do you ever engage the pcb circuit?

Is the K1000 replacement cable sold on Headphile the silver-copper combo descibed in the thread?

Thanks!

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 14
My K-1000 is hardwired with the Equinox cable, but the pcb is still in place. I didn't do this myself, but the effect on sound is an increase in smoothness. Detail is better, without harshness. It's enough to move the K-1000 higher up on my list of "best headphones ever".

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonD2
Xanadu,

I agree with your description of the sound improvement after the pcb-ectomy. I have yet to hear the "ringing" note(s).

Do you ever engage the pcb circuit?

Is the K1000 replacement cable sold on Headphile the silver-copper combo descibed in the thread?

Thanks!

The ringing note was rare, say if a horn was playing a certain note for an extended period. For all I know, stock K1000 could do the same thing, or any can for that matter.

No, I really don't care for the PCB sound.

No, that cable was too difficult to ever do again, for any less than a small fortune that is...

Jan 22, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 14
Swampwalker, look here: http://www.headphile.com/

Hirsch: Is the equinox comfortable to wear? Is it stiff, thick?

I have removed the xlr connector and soldered a 10 ft. run of solid core, unshielded copper to the end of the stock black wire. I found, as you did Xanadu, that it kills the dynamics. A pity too because it has an appealing sweetness.

A change to solid silver gives back the dynamics but adds enough brightness to make me keep looking. I can see your rationale for the hybrid wiring scheme and will give it a try as well as trying some stranded Cardas next week.

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 14
flecom,

Is the headband something you put together yourself? I'm auditioning K1000's now and having some comfort issues. I'd wondered if a more substantial headband might take some of the load off the sidepieces pressing into my skull.

Thanks,
Beau

Jan 27, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Swampwalker, look here: http://www.headphile.com/

Hirsch: Is the equinox comfortable to wear? Is it stiff, thick?

The Equinox cable is comfortable to me. It's reasonably flexible, although not quite as flexible as stock. Unlike many, I don't have comfort issues with the K-1000. The pads need to be spaced properly, but once that's done, I'm fine for long periods. Sound can be very dependent on positioning, as with many high-end cans. My own preference seems to have the headphone fairly low (ears position to the top front of the driver), with a good spread to the rear. Imaging is compressed if angled too closely in, and diffuse if too far out.

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The Equinox cable is comfortable to me. It's reasonably flexible, although not quite as flexible as stock. Unlike many, I don't have comfort issues with the K-1000. The pads need to be spaced properly, but once that's done, I'm fine for long periods. Sound can be very dependent on positioning, as with many high-end cans. My own preference seems to have the headphone fairly low (ears position to the top front of the driver), with a good spread to the rear. Imaging is compressed if angled too closely in, and diffuse if too far out.

Thanks, Hirsch. I may give the Equinox a try. BTW, if you are correct that the pcb is to limit volume (makes sense), then removing it may improve the sound. Can this be inferrred from the circuit which seems fairly simple?

Flecom: Do you find the silver wire bright? I have been using a run of 16 awg solid core silver connected to the stock black cable and find it to be somewhat bright. I would think that 19 awg is about the biggest that will pass through the rubber strain reliefs. True? Did you remove the pcb?

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Thanks, Hirsch. I may give the Equinox a try. BTW, if you are correct that the pcb is to limit volume (makes sense), then removing it may improve the sound. Can this be inferrred from the circuit which seems fairly simple?

I've seen other posts indicating that I was incorrect (including a response from AKG to an e-mail). The board is there for equalization, to balance out frequency imbalances that would otherwise be present in the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back