K1000 crisis OR am i crazy?
Mar 6, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
This stuff rocks!

I can wear the RS1 literally all day, without having ripped my ears to shreds... its great
biggrin.gif

Ask BlessingX what exactly its made of... He is where these particular 'pads' originated from... although they still do need to be dyed... lol

Instructions here.

Mar 7, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
ok, i just ordered a pair of CD3000s so i have a chance to compare them to the K1000s before my 30 days are up. thanks for everyones help.

How are you going to be comparing K1000 to CD3000, etc when you yourself said K1000 is hooked up to a "crappy amp" and when you probably don't have K1000 replacement cable.

IMO an amp for K1000 does not have to be tube amp necessarily, but you do need a good amp, one that sounds neutral and balanced (no EXTRA brightness)

Even if get a better amp and K1000 cable, you still wouldn't be getting all that K1000 can give.

For that taste, try listening to your music with K1000 90 degrees rotated. In other words, the headband should be right in front your eyes, allowing the earpads to get closer to your ears. If you like the added treble/mid rich detail with more filled-out low-midrange to bass, and especially an order of magnitude more/better/deeper/impactful bass, you can then buy the K1000 and proceed to modify it (removing headband) to allow K1000 to sit on the ears.

Until you've done all this, you haven't seen the last 20-30% of K1000's capability IMHO.

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
ok, i just ordered a pair of CD3000s so i have a chance to compare them to the K1000s before my 30 days are up. thanks for everyones help.

And the CD3000 isn't back ordered?

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
And the CD3000 isn't back ordered?

hope not, i dropped both audiocubes and etronics emails to see what the outlook is on that. i just realized after clicking "submit order" that etronics is always out of stock, so who knows
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: if you happen to know of any places that usually have stock, i'd certainly appreciate it. i'd hate to return the k1000s only to be disappointed by the cd3000s. i guess if i have to i'll pick them up from a seedy ebay dealer
frown.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon L
How are you going to be comparing K1000 to CD3000, etc when you yourself said K1000 is hooked up to a "crappy amp" and when you probably don't have K1000 replacement cable.

IMO an amp for K1000 does not have to be tube amp necessarily, but you do need a good amp, one that sounds neutral and balanced (no EXTRA brightness)

Even if get a better amp and K1000 cable, you still wouldn't be getting all that K1000 can give.

For that taste, try listening to your music with K1000 90 degrees rotated. In other words, the headband should be right in front your eyes, allowing the earpads to get closer to your ears. If you like the added treble/mid rich detail with more filled-out low-midrange to bass, and especially an order of magnitude more/better/deeper/impactful bass, you can then buy the K1000 and proceed to modify it (removing headband) to allow K1000 to sit on the ears.

Until you've done all this, you haven't seen the last 20-30% of K1000's capability IMHO.

for one, i recognize the difference a great amp and cables can make, but i do NOT believe it can alter the fundamental character of a headphone assuming it is being driven adequately (as i believe a 30 watt vintage SS amp should). i may be mistaken due to the k1000s unique design, but i have yet to hear a significant gain with other audio equipment (as compared to rotating the actual output device), so i'm just basing that on experience.

secondly, this 90 degree mod sounds interesting, if a little unorthodox. i'll give it a try and see, although it would seem that that would negate many of the things i like about the k1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back