K1000 crisis OR am i crazy?
Mar 6, 2004 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

the terabyte

100+ Head-Fier
background: for a good 16 days now i've been enjoying my k1000s on the crappy amplifier that i have for the time being (was planning on replacing it next month). their resolution and dynamics are just so astounding that i couldn't believe that such sound could spring forth from "headphones" (using that term loosely).

today i stopped by guitar center and picked up a pair of 7506s for listening to at the computer and when i need the isolation. needless to say, i was blown away (my previous sony experience was the v900s). the sound, although not as great in resolution, soundstage, or dynamics as the k1000s, was so full and rich (pretty much the opposite of how most characterize these cans, i know). it didn't have the smooth texture of the k1000s, but it was so balanced it almost didn't matter; no single section really stood out about the sound (perhaps the treble a bit, but i like that). back and forth between the k1000s and 7506s i went, all different types of music being played (jazz, classical, metal, industrial, classic rock, et al). honestly, they both have advantages over each other, so it was impossible to declare a clear winner (which appalls me as one cost 5 times more than the other).

i really want a great all around pair of cans that work well on many styles of music, have a balanced sound (with the complete spectrum represented) preferably tipped forward a bit (maybe not grado forward), offer high resolution, have more than a pin-point "soundstage" (or whatever headphones have). am i entering stax territory? i'd look to spend around $1200 or so on the headphones and a well-matched amp. i'd look at the CD3000s, but the thought of not having support scares me
frown.gif
any thoughts on the matter? i just figure that at this price point i should be completely satisfied with my purchase, and at this point i'm not so sure.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 22
What would be wrong with, in your case, the Grado SR225?

What is it exactly that you don't like about Grado?

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
What would be wrong with, in your case, the Grado SR225?

What is it exactly that you don't like about Grado?

i haven't heard the 225 (only the 325 with bowls and flats which i owed for a few months), but the upperbass seemed to be elevated without much depth. they are also quite uncomfortable for me (even after extensive headband bending, perhaps i need your memory foam
wink.gif
) as they push my ears into the frames of my glasses.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
(even after extensive headband bending, perhaps i need your memory foam
wink.gif
)

This stuff rocks!

I can wear the RS1 literally all day, without having ripped my ears to shreds... its great
biggrin.gif

Ask BlessingX what exactly its made of... He is where these particular 'pads' originated from... although they still do need to be dyed... lol

Unfortunately, I cannot compare the SR325 that I had to the SR225, as that as the SR225 is the only Grado that I haven't heard... its just the repeated comments that the SR225 is like a budget version of the RS1... might well be a different flavour to the SR325?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 22
If things are homogenous and/or 2 dimensional sounding, it means you're not listening to the K1000s well. I think you just have a glimpse of what the K1000 can do. If you like it so far and want a vastly improved version, then be prepared to spend more and get a good amp and source because the K1000 can take all that it can.

I just plugged my V6s (which are same as 7506s) into my Emmeline Stealth and it doesn't beat the K1000 in anything except the lower bass frequecies in terms of quantity.

For a musical experience, you don't have to have the highest resolution nor pin point soundstage. But if you do want those then you must get better source, cables, power conditioning, etc. $1200 for a K1000 or Stax system is not going to cut it. A Grace 901 and KGSS are already over that budget. You can certainly live with an RKV or a cheaper Stax amp even if they don't have the same resolution in my opinion. Neither is really a "cheap" system to have.

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
If things are homogenous and/or 2 dimensional sounding, it means you're not listening to the K1000s well. I think you just have a glimpse of what the K1000 can do. If you like it so far and want a vastly improved version, then be prepared to spend more and get a good amp and source because the K1000 can take all that it can.

I just plugged my V6s (which are same as 7506s) into my Emmeline Stealth and it doesn't beat the K1000 in anything except the lower bass frequecies in terms of quantity.

For a musical experience, you don't have to have the highest resolution nor pin point soundstage. But if you do want those then you must get better source, cables, power conditioning, etc. $1200 for a K1000 or Stax system is not going to cut it. A Grace 901 and KGSS are already over that budget. You can certainly live with an RKV or a cheaper Stax amp even if they don't have the same resolution in my opinion. Neither is really a "cheap" system to have.

things are not homogenous or 2 dimensional at all, perhaps i missworded my post. those traits such as high resolution and soundstage are already present to me with the K1000 in my current albeit crappy setup to the extent that i have no qualms at all in that respect. the single issue i have is the missing lower octave, something that i thought i would not miss based on the type of music i generally listen to.

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 22
well, to answer your question dude, yes, i think you're crazy.
wink.gif

the 7506's really don't sound all that great. they do have a familiar sound, in a good way. but truthfully, the only reason i use them is cause they LACK resolution... so they are a bit more faithful to the sound, in comparison to real-life loudspeakers. (they are useful in music production situations.)

but personally, i have the sennheiser hd600's and sony cd3000's.... and both have significantly higher fidelity. everything's clearer... and you can hear distinct voices much easier. small details are much easier to hear as well. ...there really isn't a contest... (i can't use these phones for mixing though, cause they are just too accurate. really. cause no real-life loudspeaker ever has that high detail or resolution.)

i have the k1000's as well, hooked up to a $2500 amp, and they sound cool. but i would never compare them to conventionally headphones. the sound is just completely different. it's more appropriate to compare them to loudspeakers than to headphones. i love them........ but their use is limited as well.

i think if you're looking for a generally good sounding headphone, you really can't beat the senn hd600 (or hd650) or sony cd3k. for the price, nothing touches them.......well, except for the grado rs-1, which i haven't really had a chance to critically listen to yet (i only owned one for a couple days.)

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 22
It is certainly true that one could easily have the K1000 AND a dynamic headphone. I find I'm getting a lot of use out of my K271S lately...they are the polar opposite of the K1000 - they are closed!!

I know...sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
well, to answer your question dude, yes, i think you're crazy.
wink.gif

the 7506's really don't sound all that great. they do have a familiar sound, in a good way. but truthfully, the only reason i use them is cause they LACK resolution... so they are a bit more faithful to the sound, in comparison to real-life loudspeakers. (they are useful in music production situations.)

i agree, the only thing that i like about them is the relatively balanced sound.

Quote:

i have the k1000's as well, hooked up to a $2500 amp, and they sound cool. but i would never compare them to conventionally headphones. the sound is just completely different. it's more appropriate to compare them to loudspeakers than to headphones. i love them........ but their use is limited as well.

i would agree here, as well. it doesn't even sound like i'm listening to headphones when i use them and thats part of what i love about them. however, even compared to my smallish speakers, the low frequency foundation is jarringly absent.

Quote:

i think if you're looking for a generally good sounding headphone, you really can't beat the senn hd600 (or hd650) or sony cd3k. for the price, nothing touches them.......well, except for the grado rs-1, which i haven't really had a chance to critically listen to yet (i only owned one for a couple days.)

maybe i'll look into auditioning the 650s...when i last heard the 600s they were a little too polite for me, but maybe my tastes have changed. thanks for your input.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
It is certainly true that one could easily have the K1000 AND a dynamic headphone. I find I'm getting a lot of use out of my K271S lately...they are the polar opposite of the K1000 - they are closed!!

I know...sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

yeah, i know theres plenty of folks who have multiple phones for the same use, but i'd rather not get into that area. perhaps i'm just asking too much and thats why people have multiple headphones in the first place
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte
things are not homogenous or 2 dimensional at all

those traits such as high resolution and soundstage are already present

the single issue i have is the missing lower octave

The RKV has a lot of power which can make the bass better. Whether you'll like the rest of it, is your call.

You can also try adding a sub. Although it's not ideal, it depends on how you like it's integration.

I like the HD650 but not the 600 or 580. That could be another alternative.

I find that better resolution adds to clarity which lets you hear things happening in the bass more. Of course that's different from quantity.

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 22
In my experience the K-1000 bass response improves a lot on a better amplifier. It is a different experience than the Sony 7506 or Sennheiser HD-600 midbass hump, which makes the sound warmer and fuller.

I also recommend listening to the Grado 225's. I owned a Sony V6 for a fews days (which is supposed to be the same as the 7506) and I found them intolerably bright. I sold them immediately. I really like the Grados though and I don't find the 225 to be bright sounding. I do agree with you on some Grado headphones since I find the RS-1 too bright.

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
The RKV has a lot of power which can make the bass better. Whether you'll like the rest of it, is your call.

You can also try adding a sub. Although it's not ideal, it depends on how you like it's integration.

I like the HD650 but not the 600 or 580. That could be another alternative.

I find that better resolution adds to clarity which lets you hear things happening in the bass more. Of course that's different from quantity.

i'll try to take them down to a local audio shop and see if i can coax a more pleasing sound from them, although am i am realistic in thinking i may just be asking them to be something that they are not? i suppose a sub could be an option, although i probably wouldn't have the capacity to listen to it in the nearfield and thus its volume might become intrusive to others.

i definitely agree with the clearity in the bass, but i guess i'm grappling with the issue of great, tight lowermid-bass, but virtually absent low-bass. i can see that this could be why some say that they are definitely not for everyone. i'll give the 650s a try, i guess, thanks.

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

would agree here, as well. it doesn't even sound like i'm listening to headphones when i use them and thats part of what i love about them. however, even compared to my smallish speakers, the low frequency foundation is jarringly absent.

yup, they do kinda lack the bass. but they do have some headphone-like qualities that make them a nice compromise between real headphones and loudspeakers. i mean, they sound really cool, and i am glad i bought them. i still enjoy listening to them more than normal headphones. not going to sell them... but i did buy other "tools" for my stash.
Quote:

maybe i'll look into auditioning the 650s...when i last heard the 600s they were a little too polite for me, but maybe my tastes have changed. thanks for your input.

you know, i highly recommend the sony cd3000 for you then. it retains the very good balance the 7506 has, but generally just sounds much better. it's kinda like if 7506 are your own eyes, the cd3000 is like putting prescription glasses on!--the sound becomes more focused and clear... but you still kinda get a nice balance of the whole sound spectrum. very nice. i think you'd be impressed.

i haven't tried the hd650, but it probably isn't that huge of an improvement over the hd600... so if you didn't like the hd600 too much, that's just more reason to get a cd3000. (by the way, i still like the hd600 more... i'm just saying you might like the cd3000 more.)

by the way, you mentioned going to GC. what do you play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back