K1000 + CD3000 = K3000
Dec 29, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 36
Wow. That's just crazy. In a good way, that is.

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #19 of 36
Wow...After hearing the CD3K/HP1 hybrids at the Pittsburgh meet, I can only imagine what these must sound like. Larry, you are sitting on a gold mine...

Dec 29, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #20 of 36
Jeez, I can't help notice the gushing enthusiasm for Xanadu777's modded K1000. It seems to be a great mod, but you guys seem to be reacting a lot mainly due to the sexy look of the mod without ever hearing it.

I remember being ridiculed and attacked when I mentioned my K1000 "nude" a while back, which is basically similar in concept to Xanadu's, bringing K1000 drivers closer to the ears, which improves bass, which improves midrange weight... I admit I probably partly deserved the ridicule for not making it look sexy enough.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_photo.php

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
Neat idea. Great turnout. Quite a risk though right?

Right, it took more than a wild hair to finally go ahead with these. I basically gave up a pair of K1000's since I had to mod the drivers, as they couldn't be re-attached without some other modding, though I probably could have thought of something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I remember being ridiculed and attacked when I mentioned my K1000 "nude" a while back

I saw that when you did it, great cheap way to accomplish a mod, kudos to you. If you like it that's all that matters anyway. I tried some other modding for K1000's along the way, but never was really satisfied. I really wanted to try this, with fully sealing pads and some form of open cup. I figured who else would ever do it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
So will this be your personal pair of headphones that you choose before all others? That's cool! I wonder what you do with all those creations. Can't really comment on it without listening to it of course.

I'll let others from the Seattle meet give sound impressions, but I like them. I can't say I'd choose them before all others with this personal stable to choose from...

personal.jpg

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #22 of 36
coming home with thoughts of that pic in my mind are as bad as me coming home smelling like perfume - the wife can sense the desire and will send me straight to the doghouse, no questions.

Dec 29, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 36
These are seriously some of the best looking cans I've ever seen. I can't wait to hear the meet impressions! But, the question is: considering the amount of money in source components and labor, how well do these match up to what could be had at the same price? If I had to guess, I'd say not too badly at all, but I would want to hear the impressions with this particular question in mind.

In any case, Kudos for the best mod job I've seen, period.

Dec 29, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
coming home with thoughts of that pic in my mind are as bad as me coming home smelling like perfume - the wife can sense the desire and will send me straight to the doghouse, no questions.

Ha!! Ha! Me too!! Might as well come home with 2 gorgeous legs wrapped around....well....you know....
biggrin.gif

Damn, I'm in trouble....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #30 of 36
God, I hope headphone manufacturers and *potential* headphone manufacturers are watching... This is proof positive that this market clearly NEEDS new and better headphones by the score to satisfy the need out there.

Clearly the pitiful handful of high-end cans we currently have at our disposal are insufficient if people are driven to these extremes!
mad.gif
frown.gif

(Not talking bad about this mod at all, bravo and an A for bravery, but surely this is not accessible/advisable for the average guy on the street. Cheers.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back