K1000 + CD3000 = K3000
Dec 29, 2004 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Xanadu777

Member of the Trade: Headphile
Headphone Modder Extraordinaire
I finished my personal project that I've been thinking about a long time. The question I had... How do you make K1000's comfortable and give them bass?

Since one of my K1000 drivers went belly up on me, I had to order in a new one at the tune of $200+ for one. Rather than replace the rattling one, I took that one out and modded the driver plate to see if it would fit in a CD3K housing. No luck, no way I could see to modify. Taking out the CD3K driver holder exposes the plate that is closest to your ear. This hole is larger than the CD3K stock driver. I took the rattling K1000 driver and trimmed down it's plate to fit perfectly into the CD3K housing, whose hole was a perfect fit for the driver area. Using some Tak, I secured the driver and knew the screened woodies I would build would firm then down completely, once screwed in. So I made the decision to mod the good drivers, even the brand spanking new one *clank*

Once recabled and working, I liked the resulting sound. Bass, oh yeah and a nice soundstage. These are rivaling my HP1000 drivered CD3K's, if not better! After putting them aside a few days, I began making the woodies. I wanted Bubinga, with a larger screen hole than the other Grado hybrid pair. Well, I've just completed them and they were worth it. This is my style of can, comfortable with a groovy soundstage and first class drivers.

They can be heard/seen in person at the upcoming 1/15 Seattle meet.

Mounting the driver...

k3k3.jpg

You can see the K1000 driver through the screen with the flash...

k3k1.jpg

My new babies
k1000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

k3k2.jpg

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 36
Xanadu777, I want first dibs if you sell those...
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 36
Stop it, Larry....you're killing me...not to mention my PayPal account! I WON'T GIVE IN!!!!!......that is unless you put your personal CD3K hybrid up for sale. Then I'll be saying to heck with my willpower and my cash.

Dec 29, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 36
Looks great!

Just a few questions regarding the sound: Is the soundstage still as frontal and horizontally extended as the K1000? What about the tightness of the bass, any reverberation effects due to the more closed-in design and in which way does the wood contribute to the sound?

I am eagerly awaiting the Seattle meet impressions about this baby
biggrin.gif

Maybe you'll find my K1000 drivers in your mail box sometime in the future...

The idea alone is crazy enough but to actually put it into practice is just nuts. Larry, my hats off to you.

Dec 29, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 36
So will this be your personal pair of headphones that you choose before all others? That's cool! I wonder what you do with all those creations. Can't really comment on it without listening to it of course.

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 36
Oooooh, Daddy like! I want to hear these cans, and the modded Grado's too.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 36
Argh! Why do you have to live in Seattle! Cmon down to NYC sometime!

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 36
Damn, just when I thought that my can buying spree had past I come across pics of your latest incarnation. Now I'm enterntaining foolish thoughts about the possibility of getting one should you ever decided on doing this mod on a regular basis. They deifinitely look beautiful and I just can't stop staring at the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back