K1000 Best tweak!
Apr 18, 2006 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tyloh73

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

have you guys heard your K1000 with the silver mesh screen removed?I just heard mine "nude"
last night and,Damn!it sound so nice,with the silver mesh screen on,all I notice is lack of bass,
but with it "nude",it's still lack bass but that's no longer a problem.I just sit there and
enjoy the music.I think everyone should at least listen to their without the screen once.
you have to be very careful though,the wires inside are really tiny,break one tiny wire and you might
have to replace the whole driver,and the driver ain't cheap.

I almost sold my pair last month,thanx god i didn't.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
Hi,

have you guys heard your K1000 with the silver mesh screen removed?I just heard mine "nude"
last night and,Damn!it sound so nice,with the silver mesh screen on,all I notice is lack of bass,
but with it "nude",it's still lack bass but that's no longer a problem.I just sit there and
enjoy the music.I think everyone should at least listen to their without the screen once.
you have to be very careful though,the wires inside are really tiny,break one tiny wire and you might
have to replace the whole driver,and the driver ain't cheap.

I almost sold my pair last month,thanx god i didn't.

smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't hear ANY difference last time I tried it, however, I didn't do any long-term listening.

The 2nd best tweak for K1000 I have done is pasting QuickSilver GOLD on interconnects, power cords, fuses and circuit boards. It reduced brightness by alot and gave more microdynamics.

The best tweak is when I hardwired the power cords. The sibilance was gone and there was more transparency.

The 2nd best upgrade is Nordost Valhalla power cords for the whole system, the improvements are cumulative because they are neutral.

The best upgrade is PS Audio Power Plant. K1000 wants the power clean.
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 18
Yikes. Be careful with those. I'd be too afraid of damaging a driver without the screen.

For what it's worth, I've been extremely happy with mine as they came from the factory.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
The 2nd best upgrade is Nordost Valhalla power cords for the whole system, the improvements are cumulative because they are neutral.

Aren't those bloody expensive cables?! You could probably get three pairs of used K1000 for the price of one of those power cords.

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

I didn't hear ANY difference last time I tried it, however, I didn't do any long-term listening.

The 2nd best tweak for K1000 I have done is pasting QuickSilver GOLD on interconnects, power cords, fuses and circuit boards. It reduced brightness by alot and gave more microdynamics.

The best tweak is when I hardwired the power cords. The sibilance was gone and there was more transparency.

The best upgrade is PS Audio Power Plant. K1000 wants the power clean.
tongue.gif

All the above tweaks would benefit any headphone. I wouldn't consider them K1000 tweaks but system upgrades.

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 18
I think Nordost is so far beyond "diminishing returns," it's not even funny. A near three thousand dollar AC power cable simply blows my entire world out of the water.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 18
I d be afaraid to damage the drivers, and cables that cost 3x the price of the headphone do not count as tweaks
wink.gif
The simplest tweak is finding how open you like them and the most comfortable position.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I think Nordost is so far beyond "diminishing returns," it's not even funny. A near three thousand dollar AC power cable simply blows my entire world out of the water.

Have you ever heard one?

I think that it is a little overkill for a headphone system, since my idea of headphones is "budget speakers"

but on a very world class speaker system the valhalla is a very nice improvement and imo justified

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeetAsleep
Have you ever heard one?

I think that it is a little overkill for a headphone system, since my idea of headphones is "budget speakers"

but on a very world class speaker system the valhalla is a very nice improvement and imo justified

Being someone who can hardly tell one IC from another, I'd probably be a dissenter. I suppose if you can afford 40,000 dollar turntables and speakers, it's all a matter of perspective, but that doesn't make it blow my mind any less.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Being someone who can hardly tell one IC from another, I'd probably be a dissenter. I suppose if you can afford 40,000 dollar turntables and speakers, it's all a matter of perspective, but that doesn't make it blow my mind any less.

ya i think im in the same boat as you, i have listened to $500 IC's and think that my belden + neutrik/switchcraft cables that i made sound just as good, but its all IMHO and YMMV of course

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Based on my experience they are underpriced for the improvements they give for K1000. However, they are overpriced for other headphones I tried them with.
Upgrading my $39 T-Amp to a $5000 power amp gave a smaller improvement than a Valhalla power cord. I actually preferred the cheaper amp because it sounded cleaner and more detailed! But with Valhalla + power amp the detail was equal and there was fast and heavy bass that T-Amp doesn't have.

Getting Valhalla for the whole system (Power Plants need them too!) is a bit expensive, but if you buy a couple of them used you can cut them to shorter lengths and hardwire them, based on the improvements they gave to the whole system they are a STEAL for that price. And the best thing of all, you don't need a high-end system to hear the improvements, Benchmark DAC-1 ($975) and an old used Krell power amp ($2000) is all you need, trust me.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Based on my experience they are underpriced for the improvements they give for K1000. However, they are overpriced for other headphones I tried them with.
Upgrading my $39 T-Amp to a $5000 power amp gave a smaller improvement than a Valhalla power cord. I actually preferred the cheaper amp because it sounded cleaner and more detailed! But with Valhalla + power amp the detail was equal and there was fast and heavy bass that T-Amp doesn't have.

Getting Valhalla for the whole system (Power Plants need them too!) is a bit expensive, but if you buy a couple of them used you can cut them to shorter lengths and hardwire them, based on the improvements they gave to the whole system they are a STEAL for that price. And the best thing of all, you don't need a high-end system to hear the improvements, Benchmark DAC-1 ($975) and an old used Krell power amp ($2000) is all you need, trust me.

....You're actually insinuating that a 3000 dollar system isn't high end? However, it's extremely comforting to hear such a compliment to the T-Amp.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

....You're actually insinuating that a 3000 dollar system isn't high end? However, it's extremely comforting to hear such a compliment to the T-Amp.

High-end is $10 000+ source and amp. They have better components inside the chassi and the manufacturer boosts up the price and takes advantage of the ignorance of the customers. But you can mod and replace the bad components yourself and spend 1/10th of the price to get equal or better sound, I will try internal silver wiring soon... But even after you have done all that you still have a problem with internal and external interference that enters the power supply and distorts the music.

Nordost cables are very difficult to make yourself, that's why I buy them instead. The goal is to block external RFI/EMI from entering the power cord without lowering the resolution, and the Valhalla does that perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back