K1000 and AT-HA5000
Oct 10, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X 2 - a pricey 300B would be ideal, but Nelson Pass amps synergizes very well for less.

As does a RWA Sig 30. I've heard both, and for their prices, especially on the used market, you can't go wrong.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 30
I would suggest to use an amp specifically designed to drive a K1000. I have a WA5 on order which provides a dedicated circuit to drive the K1000.

Yes, we can drive it with speaker outputs. But this is not going to be efficient as speaker output impedance is 4 - 10 ohms typical. That's why you will need much higher power to do the job.

From what I read, the general consensus seems to be 8W per channel is o.k. to provide the power and headroom for a K1000.

I do look forward to have a taste of this legendary ear-speaker in early November.

F. Lo

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest to use an amp specifically designed to drive a K1000. I have a WA5 on order which provides a dedicated circuit to drive the K1000.

Yes, we can drive it with speaker outputs. But this is not going to be efficient as speaker output impedance is 4 - 10 ohms typical. That's why you will need much higher power to do the job.

From what I read, the general consensus seems to be 8W per channel is o.k. to provide the power and headroom for a K1000.

I do look forward to have a taste of this legendary ear-speaker in early November.

F. Lo

I've heard the Woo5, and though I think it has potential, I did not like it as much as my SP Extreme Platinum>FirstWatt F1 combo. I understand that a simple, but expensive, tube change has made a big difference, and I look forward to hearing it again in a couple weeks.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #19 of 30
i hear the tripath amps eg. T-Sonics, Trend TA and such drives the K1k decently. mayhaps get one of these while u save up for a real winner? seems like a win-win as T-Amps can be had for very little moolah - much cheaper than most headamps infact.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the Woo5, and though I think it has potential, I did not like it as much as my SP Extreme Platinum>FirstWatt F1 combo. I understand that a simple, but expensive, tube change has made a big difference, and I look forward to hearing it again in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, a good pair of WE300B is part of the project, plus a list of component upgrades that worth another pair of WE300B - all with the hope to make the K1000 shine with the WA5 ( I would called it a maxxed out version).

Let's exchange notes when I have done my listening
tongue.gif

F. Lo

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, a good pair of WE300B is part of the project, plus a list of component upgrades that worth another pair of WE300B - all with the hope to make the K1000 shine with the WA5 ( I would called it a maxxed out version).

Let's exchange notes when I have done my listening
tongue.gif

F. Lo

Based on what I heard so far, those few extras should make it a remarkable amp. Congrats on choosing it. I look forward to being jealous of your impressions
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

F. Lo

You are gonna love this amp you may want to look into the KR audio tubes but ask Jack first I think that they make a few versions some may not be optimal. The tubes Jack provides will get you started but do not do the amp justice

The WE 300b is great but has a more lush mid with slightly rolled off highs and lows IMHO your mileage may vary, the KRs from what I am being advised are more linear so the mids will not be as sweet but should provide better highs and lows. They are also about 100-300 usd cheaper. Just a thought

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #24 of 30
Everyone keeps saying that you need 10W or more, but I disagree... The Firstwatt F2 only pumps out 5W/channel and it is more than sufficient for the k1k's

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffdiver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hear the tripath amps eg. T-Sonics, Trend TA and such drives the K1k decently. mayhaps get one of these while u save up for a real winner? seems like a win-win as T-Amps can be had for very little moolah - much cheaper than most headamps infact.

If you use a t-amp, don't forget to measure the DC offset, should be less than 50mW (I would prefer less than 30mW). Also, it is recommended to place some 4 or 6 ohm resistors on the outputs, in parallel with the headphones.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Repeat after me: S-P-E-A-K-E-R A-M-P
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Boomana, you say it with conviction! I'd rather not use speaker output terminal of my power amps to drive K1000's because I've got superb speakers on the end of the line... just looking for headphone amp that will enable the K1000's to operate somewhere near their best. A compromise for now I know but I must be practical as well.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobettermusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boomana, you say it with conviction! I'd rather not use speaker output terminal of my power amps to drive K1000's because I've got superb speakers on the end of the line... just looking for headphone amp that will enable the K1000's to operate somewhere near their best. A compromise for now I know but I must be practical as well.

You have one of the best dynamic headphones in the world. I guess I'm not sure why you would knowingly choose to underpower them when both AKG and experienced K1000 owners tell you that they won't sound good that way. You'll get sound from a headphone amp, but you won't be hearing the K1000s as they were designed to sound unless using one of the very few headphone amps that were voiced for the K1000, or even ones like the SP Extreme Platinum that have a lot of power (still not best solution). The K1000s will sound thin, lose the bottom end, and give a false representation of the music you love.

If you don't want to use your speaker amp (mine, too, has fine speakers at the end of the line), I can only suggest getting a T-amp, which will be better than a headphone amp. My only experience is with the Red Wine Audio Clari-T, which you can picked up used for a decent price, sometimes from Vinnie himself, and fairly regularly at audiogon. It has a small footprint as well. There are many more, but I simply don't know much about them.

Good luck.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 30
If you go for a T amp dont over look the KingRex stack. it recieved the blue moon award for each module. so 3 bluemoon awards for this amp, they musta have done something right! you can read the indepth review here http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex2/u.html

beats the T-Sonics, Trend TA hands down.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

As does a RWA Sig 30. I've heard both, and for their prices, especially on the used market, you can't go wrong.

Agreed

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are gonna love this amp you may want to look into the KR audio tubes but ask Jack first I think that they make a few versions some may not be optimal. The tubes Jack provides will get you started but do not do the amp justice

The WE 300b is great but has a more lush mid with slightly rolled off highs and lows IMHO your mileage may vary, the KRs from what I am being advised are more linear so the mids will not be as sweet but should provide better highs and lows. They are also about 100-300 usd cheaper. Just a thought

Thanks jp11801. Will definitely bear this in mind. BTW, just got an email from Jack informing me my WA5 is complete and his first listen impression was "wonderful". Jack said it was a very successful built. The amp in now being through the final round of check and tunning before it ships in a weeks time. Big time coming
tongue.gif

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back