k1000 amping question
Dec 26, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

intlplby

500+ Head-Fier
Dec 26, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 17
Sure ... the K1000s love speaker amps, and they will hook directly to your Cyber 800 mono blocks with the pigtail cables that they come with - no additional cable required, unless you need longer length, then just splice some good speaked wire.

I expect that combination will sound great - what do you have for source(s)?

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 17
Consonance LP 2.0 turntable with
Rega 250 tonearm, mitchell technoweigh mod, cardas rewire, VTA adjuster
Audio Technica 440MLa cartridge

http://www.opera-consonance.com/products/reflp20.htm

the speakers are Consonance Eric-Grand floorstanders.

M-Audio Firewire Audiophile from my MacBook Pro

i'm assuming i have to disconnect the speakers when using the k1000s.... is there an elegant solution that exists to switch between the two?

anything i have to worry about with regards to power to the k1000s?

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 17
The K1000 was DESIGNED for using power amps, not headphone amps, anyway. The cable that comes with the K1000 is supposed to hook up to speaker binding posts. The only concern with the K1000 and speaker amps is, don't turn the volume up too high. Just like with other speakers. Obviously, this is easier to manage on lower powered amps, but it's not impossible on 100 watt+ either. As to an elegant solution for switching back and forth? I've actually been musing on this myself of late. I think what I'd do is, use the K1000 speaker extension to hook up to the amp itself, and then make a custom speaker cable that has bare wires/spades/bananas on one end to go into the speakers, and then at the other, a 4-pin male XLR plug, just like the K1000. as long as you can find a good way to wind this wire around your listening room, I think that'd be the best solution. Then you could just plug and unplug the K1000 and your speakers in the XLR jack at the end of the K1000's speaker extension. quick and painless.

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 17
thanks for the info, i'll probably DIY..... i can make something much nicer with a DACT CT3 knob for less and have more choices for selecting (up to 5)

might put two 1/4" and a pair of XLRs on the front and two sets of speaker posts on the back

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the k1000 go to 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

its somewhere between 100 and 200 ohms, depending where in the spectrum you measure
wink.gif

the 8-ohm taps (or better 16!) if you have a transformer output. more volts, less current, its a match made in heaven.

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its somewhere between 100 and 200 ohms, depending where in the spectrum you measure
wink.gif

the 8-ohm taps (or better 16!) if you have a transformer output. more volts, less current, its a match made in heaven.

I've had opposite results. My Fisher 400 has taps for 4,8, and 16 ohm, but the K-1000 seems to sing best out of the 4 ohm taps. You lose a little gain, but a 20 watt tube amp has plenty of that for K1K, and you gain a bit of punch at the low end. Increasing voltage at the expense of current can sometimes have a deleterious effect on bass. Low frequencies tend to like amperage.

This may well depend on the particular amp, so each person should probably experiment.

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

is it ok to hook up other headphones to the power amp too as long as i am careful about volume? like senn hd 650s or grados?

NO. You'll fry a normal headphone if you connect it directly to the outputs of a power amp (for speakers). It's pretty easy to make an attenuating adapter that will allow you to use a power amp to drive headphones. Joe Grado designed a simple one, for which there may be a diagram posted on Head-Fi somewhere. Without an attenuator, your headphones are at serious risk.

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

do you have a link to a DIY attenuating adapter that will allow use of headphones?

gradospk.jpg

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had opposite results. My Fisher 400 has taps for 4,8, and 16 ohm, but the K-1000 seems to sing best out of the 4 ohm taps. You lose a little gain, but a 20 watt tube amp has plenty of that for K1K, and you gain a bit of punch at the low end. Increasing voltage at the expense of current can sometimes have a deleterious effect on bass. Low frequencies tend to like amperage.

This may well depend on the particular amp, so each person should probably experiment.

With the Cary that gives the same power (15 watts) to 8 or 4 ohm, the K1000 goes mutch better on 8 ohm.

With the Air Tight (8 + 8 watts) even at 8 ohm and the lowest gain (6 dB feedback)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back