'k, so I'm in the mood for some more bad photos...
Dec 16, 2002 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zzz

500+ Head-Fier
My idea of spending this birthday was to mess around a certain HV amp. Turning 21 in Canada is not nearly as much of a deal as in the US, you know
wink.gif

It's been mostly a test-bed for Weebl. One channel only. The idea was to get some sound out of it and determine the temperature behaviour of the various part of the amp experimentally. Some do it with protoboards but that's for the weak.

Photo #1:

whole%20thing.jpg

On the left one can see the vandalized KGSS (transformers disconnected and reordered around, +-15V power supply routed to the Weebl, oscillation-prevention caps cut out [to be used in Weebl]). Sitting on the box are +-400V/+580V power supply, filament transformer, input stage, and the new output stage. Dig the 3D (all over the place) component layout of the output stage!

Photo #2:

output%20stage.jpg

Focus on the tube/current source side of the output stage.

Transistors hanging in the air used to be mounted on the other side but that was only because their dissipation has been somewhat underestimated. The two without any heatsinks (pair of 2SA1967 supplying base current and setting offset for the anode current sources) could use a small stand-up or snap-on heatsink but do not seem to overheat without one either. Giant heatsinks for the anode current sources could safely be half this large as contrary to my expectations they only got mildly warm (~10W dissipation per each). 2SC3675 (pass transistor that creates -300V. ~6W dissipation) on two Aavid heatsinks joined together hanging nearby gets damn hot. But you see that large heatsink standing on the carpet? This transistor used to heat that one up just as well. Probably it just likes attention.

MOSFETs run warm but not hot. The ones driving the grid (2SJ79) are a little hotter than 2SK216s. They will get their small stand-ups eventually, but that'll be enough.

If crazy mounting (like this one) is used, the amp will oscillate in a very weird fashion and will refuse to listen to any adjustments. With Kevin's help, it has been mostly cured. Proper layout (due Christmas) should eliminate the remaining issues.

BTW, an easy way to see if any current is flowing through the tube is to look for the blue flame inside. Wicked stuff. Also, mono through Staxes (only 404 was used for testing) is not half-bad at all either.

Dec 16, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 14
No woman, no cry
wink.gif

Best thread ever!

Happy birthday, and good luck with your amp. You are fully immersed.

Dec 16, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 14
OH MY
biggrin.gif

What can i say.

This is zzz's version of the blue hawaii output stage.

WARNING: high voltages with plenty of storage. Enough
to kill. No kidding. If other people out there are as nuts
as he is, or i am, be careful of prototyping things like this.

One hand behind your back is highly recommended.

Dec 16, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 14
Reminiscent of flyback transformer work, re: keeping one hand behind the back. Very good advice.

Dec 16, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 14
[size=medium]W - T - F ?!?!?!!!!![/size]
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

And I normally don't use that many exclamation points!

That's INSANE. Crazy. Off the wall. Over the top.

I like.
smily_headphones1.gif

(I also wish I could build stuff like that... someday...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 18, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 14
You are my new hero.

Dec 18, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Can't wait to here your amps buddy boy.
wink.gif

Biggie.

Dec 18, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
You are my new hero.

I still think you have the crown for the best name for an amp.

Plain and simple, if I tried to build an amp like this I would kill myself.

Dec 18, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 14
VERY VERY COOL, zzz

only i think i need to learn something about DIY before ill have any idea what kind of monster you've created

good stuff, keep posting pics!
you guys are great inspiration

Dec 18, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 14
I look forward to seeing the refined mounting/layout. Merry frikken' christmas, indeed!

BTW... how many Twinkies did you eat during this extended testing stage, more or less?
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 14
By the way in case you people have not realized this,
those pictures are all for 1 channel of the amp. You need
two of those to make a stereo unit!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back