K-pop, J-pop suggestions!
Jun 14, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #631 of 3,773
Well, most idol group music I don't consider the type that shows off vocal skills. I think they are usually produced in a way the vocals sounds rigid due to several members singing different part. Idol music is mix of catchy phrases. I do get a good idea of idol's talent in instances when they perform solo like Wendy or Joy.

I don't think Blackpink members are great singers when I listen to their singing. BTS has members that is very capable. SM Entertainment generally puts in members with vocal skills.

I thought of another interesting feat that kpop has achieved. If we look at streaming services, kpop is a separate genre well recognized. I was looking through Tidal, and ther is a kpop genre, but not jpop. This reflects that kpop is internationally recognized to the point of being a genre of it's own.

Yeah, agreed. I also think that, while BTS and BP have done a great job of widening Kpop to a huge amount of people, I just get sad when people ONLY know about those two groups. Even though I don't listen to boy groups, BTS does have a fairly well balanced discography but BP basically has the same sound in all of their songs - which is still a measly low count of songs considering the time they've been active. This is of course no fault of the girls, but more YG's fault. But still. Kpop has a lot more to offer than those two groups.

That's why I'm very happy to see people here actually listening to many other groups, and many of those that I also listen to! Like Red Velvet, Mamamoo, (G)I-DLE, Dreamcatcher, Everglow, etc. Even the more uncommon groups like Woo!Ah! and 3YE which is heartwarming to see!

In regards to live performance singing skills, it's very weird. Before Kpop I was very very aware of how people sing live (or lack of singing, with backing tracks, etc), and consider myself both a musician and an audiophile. With Kpop it's just different. It just makes me happy, regardless if they're singing or using heavy backing tracks. While some groups surely does a better job than others with live singing (like Mamamoo), and always brings out the musician in me, I can enjoy performances with 100% backing tracks as well if the choreo is very demanding. It's gotten to the point where I just get happy to see them, even before the song starts... it's very illogical.

But perhaps music sometimes is supposed to be felt - not analyzed :)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #632 of 3,773
Yeah, agreed. I also think that, while BTS and BP have done a great job of widening Kpop to a huge amount of people, I just get sad when people ONLY know about those two groups. Even though I don't listen to boy groups, BTS does have a fairly well balanced discography but BP basically has the same sound in all of their songs - which is still a measly low count of songs considering the time they've been active. This is of course no fault of the girls, but more YG's fault. But still. Kpop has a lot more to offer than those two groups.

That's why I'm very happy to see people here actually listening to many other groups, and many of those that I also listen to! Like Red Velvet, Mamamoo, (G)I-DLE, Dreamcatcher, Everglow, etc. Even the more uncommon groups like Woo!Ah! and 3YE which is heartwarming to see!

In regards to live performance singing skills, it's very weird. Before Kpop I was very very aware of how people sing live (or lack of singing, with backing tracks, etc), and consider myself both a musician and an audiophile. With Kpop it's just different. It just makes me happy, regardless if they're singing or using heavy backing tracks. While some groups surely does a better job than others with live singing (like Mamamoo), and always brings out the musician in me, I can enjoy performances with 100% backing tracks as well if the choreo is very demanding. It's gotten to the point where I just get happy to see them, even before the song starts... it's very illogical.

But perhaps music sometimes is supposed to be felt - not analyzed :)
If they are dancing heavily, I don't care if they lip-sync. Personally, I prefer it over hearing them breathing heavily and trying to sing.
goddam, even their McDonald's commercials are viral. How do you become BTS? lol

Wait, so they only eat mcnuggets, fries and coke? Personally, I would only eat their fries. That's the good part of the McDonald's. Edit: The choice in chicken meat is due to trying to pick the most universal choice in food that people of different religions are able to eat internationally. This makes much sense.

I can see why this would work, because how their fans are. They probably got the most loyal fans, and anything BTS advertises will likely work.

There are always reasons for the marketing choices, and this one is working at least in Indonesia. Talk about crazy. I was thinking it's not just for McDonald's, but advertising at Mcdonald's also gets BTS known because McDonalds are everywhere and you have all kinds of customers showing up to McDonald's. It just helps BTS go viral even more.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #633 of 3,773
The voice on this girl hits the right buttons in my brain

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #640 of 3,773
I'm not big into rap but good lord this man spits fire.

Get the man a damn towel

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #643 of 3,773
I'm not big into rap but good lord this man spits fire.

Get the man a damn towel

Changmo is good. I suppose the main reason I don't listen to or post more rap/trap in this genre is because my understanding of Korean is just not very good. So it's hard for me to get into it, unless there also something interesting musically goin on. I'm also a bit old-school though. So I don't listen to that much recent American trap either, unless there's somethin else goin on musically that interests me.

I'm glad that most Korean groups and artists (both male and female) include some rap in their songs and performances though. And wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of that. Those were also the sort of Kpop groups I was drawn to early on. Namely, the ones with either fairly strong rappers, and/or more of a hip-hop or rhythm & bluesy vibe.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #644 of 3,773

Thanks for posting this Tanax. I saw the teasers earlier in the week, and was wonderin how this would come out.

The title of the song, 치맛바람 or "Chi Mat Ba Ram", is sort of interesting btw. It literally translates as "skirt wind". And refers to the swishing sound that a skirt makes when you're walking, or dancing (or doing other outdoor activities such as tennis or sports). The term also seems to be used as a general metaphor though for female assertiveness, boldness, courage, bravery, authority and that sort of thing. Another (possibly more pejorative?) use of the phrase is to describe what we in the US refer to as a stage or soccer mom, who takes a bit too much interest in their kids' extracurricular activities. :) Though that doesn't seem to be exactly the connotation here.

The crux of the song (and video) seems to be to "get your summer swish on ladies!" :)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #645 of 3,773
Changmo is good. I suppose the main reason I don't listen to or post more rap/trap in this genre is because my understanding of Korean is just not very good. So it's hard for me to get into it, unless there also something interesting musically goin on. I'm also a bit old-school though. So I don't listen to that much recent American trap either, unless there's somethin else goin on musically that interests me.

I'm glad that most Korean groups and artists (both male and female) include some rap in their songs and performances though. And wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of that. Those were also the sort of Kpop groups I was drawn to early on. Namely, the ones with either fairly strong rappers, and/or more of a hip-hop or rhythm & bluesy vibe.
Lol I barely understand what most Korean lyrics are.

Changmo raps extremely fast I don't know most of what he says but it's the cadence, the rhythm and flow is what surprised me. Combined with the inflections and changes in tonality, his style sounds very musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back