K-702 vs. HD-800 Blind Test...on my girlfriend
Mar 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #121 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw the thread title and poster and I knew the topic outcome before opening the thread.

Remember folks, we all hear differently and if somebody likes something you don't, it doesn't mean you can piss all over their parade. If you don't have his rig, his ears and his brain, then you have no right to mock his preferences.

You may however mock his consistent fanboy ways.
wink.gif

Like objective comments like this one

Never heard hd 800 but think that it would be hard to justified the price!

Acix has opinion based on the expirience, not on comments and hype bigger, better, faster so from my perspective, keep up , great thread !

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #122 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is an excellent article about measuring and listening to headphones:

Stereophile: Between the Ears: the art and science of measuring headphones

Just one quick point, as seen in the attachment (I hope, or Fig. 4 in the article), the current standard headphone EQ curves actually recommend a peak at around 10 khz, and the four headphones measured all have this peak. The odd man out is the HD-650 which does not have this peak (as measured in this article) and is generally considered dark sounding. Of course, this begs the issue as to whether the peak in the HD-800 is excessive and individual hearing and sensitivity to energy in this range.

Kevin

To take the measurement thing one step further (the crowd cheers), I was screwing around on HeadRoom and compaired the HD-800 with Ultrasone Ed8.

The general consensus is that, if anything, the HD-800 are a bit light in the bass, but the Ultrasone's are something of bass overachievers. But when you look at the curves, the HD-800 actually goes lower louder.

Go figger...

I ndon't really believe the consensus is that far off, so my conclusion is that headphone measurements have to be taken with quite a few grains of salt.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #123 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He also feels that putting a CD in one of those hocus-pocus machines will make it sound better, so his opinions are worthless.

Link please!...
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #124 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can see here in the graph that there is a spike in the highs after 10kHz. This spike is really noticeable on the SPL amp.

Another way to look at it is the K701/2 has rolled off treble. It also has rolled off bass, and a peak at around 8kHz.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #125 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another way to look at it is the K701/2 has rolled off treble. It also has rolled off bass, and a peak at around 8kHz.

That's exactly how I hear it, which is one reason why I can't stand the K701/2s.

Acix, keep in mind you mastered your CD with K701/2s, which is almost definitely why it sounded better on the K702s than HD800s. If you had mastered it with the HD800s I'd bet good money it'd sound better on them too. Especially since you probably increased the HF in order to compensate for the K702s rolled off highs, meaning that the normal HD800 highs sounded piercing.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #126 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly how I hear it, which is one reason why I can't stand the K701/2s.

Acix, keep in mind you mastered your CD with K701/2s, which is almost definitely why it sounded better on the K702s than HD800s. If you had mastered it with the HD800s I'd bet good money it'd sound better on them too. Especially since you probably increased the HF in order to compensate for the K702s rolled off highs, meaning that the normal HD800 highs sounded piercing.

I use all of the headphones in my profile list when I produce my music. The CD sounds great on all of them, the 650, the DT48, and any headphones that I have listened to. I never heard a problem with the treble and even on home systems, there's no problem. I mentioned earlier, that as a mastering engineer, I cut my treble, so there won't be shrill highs. BTW, many mastering engineers don't use headphones and a lot of music today doesn't even get mastered, so I would suspect that a lot music will have even more pronounced highs than mine. I've heard acoustic music and rock that I've mastered that came to me with more piercing highs. Here's one of the rock projects where I took care of the highs. I cut some of the high frequencies at 16 and some at 19kHz. .: Omar Reyes Music :.

My conclusion is that the Phonitor is professional piece of equipment and show the highs and everything that's there, so what is there, will be heard. This isn't about if I like the 800s or if I think they're inferior, this is just what I heard on this particular piece of equipment. And the funny part about it is that my girlfriend heard it first and pointed it out. BTW, she's listened to 702s twice in the past year and a half.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #127 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Funny to say that. I remember the days that people complained about the piercing highs of the K701. But I guess these days are over now with the new generation. People have forgotten that they used to think that way. And yeah, the 702 has rolled off highs compared to the 800 and that's really fine with me. I think I just prefer the 702 highs in conjunction with the SPL amps. And trust me when an amp goes to 200kHz, you'll definitely hear the complete range of highs that the headphones have to offer, especially with an analog amp.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #128 of 164
I was curious, and listened to a number of the online samples from "Rabbit Dream" yesterday with my IE8s, as I am travelling and don't have my 701s (which I love) with me. I also own HD650s. My first impression was of the amount of bass, and thinking that I would not be comfortable listening to this album with my IE8s. Maybe that is how the tracks are supposed to sound, I don't know. I listen primarily to classical music, where bass is quite different than music that has a continuous bass beat. I am not in any way commenting on the quality of the album here, as the style of music is foreign to me, but it made me think that the K701/702 is likely ideal for listening to this album, as it would tone down (probably a better term for this) the bass. I am anxious to test this out when I get home.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #129 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is no secret that Acix and I have had our disagreements in the past. However, as someone who has been involved in music production, I wanted to come to Acix's defense regarding your comments, Necrolic, in the above post. We must remember that different people hear differently. As difficult as it is to imagine, one person's "trash sounding" headphones are another person's "magnificent sounding" ones. (I am not saying that any headphone sounds like "trash". I am utilizing the terms "trash sounding" and "magnificent sounding" as illustrative examples, only.)
An idea which invalidates your comments, Necrolic, is that Acix is a professional. And, in his capacity as a professional, I am very sure that, in mastering his productions, he is not totally dependent on his headphones for post production analytical listening and that he listened primarily with studio monitor speakers to achieve his desired overall sound.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #131 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was curious, and listened to a number of the online samples from "Rabbit Dream" yesterday with my IE8s, as I am travelling and don't have my 701s (which I love) with me. I also own HD650s. My first impression was of the amount of bass, and thinking that I would not be comfortable listening to this album with my IE8s. Maybe that is how the tracks are supposed to sound, I don't know. I listen primarily to classical music, where bass is quite different than music that has a continuous bass beat. I am not in any way commenting on the quality of the album here, as the style of music is foreign to me, but it made me think that the K701/702 is likely ideal for listening to this album, as it would tone down (probably a better term for this) the bass. I am anxious to test this out when I get home.

I particularly don't like listening to 'Rabbit Dream' with my Ed8's. Too much punch to the bass. However, it's perfect with the K702's. I genuinely assumed that how great it sounded on the K702 was no coincidence. Afterall, it's music by Acix.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #132 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh... my girlfriend thinks headphones/audio are dumb. I'd never listen to her opinion about this stuff.

x2. The opinions of the average Head-Fi'er mean a lot more to me than those of some random non-audiophile.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #133 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. The opinions of the average Head-Fi'er mean a lot more to me than those of some random non-audiophile.

Ha! This is where we differ, actually. Non-audiophile opinions mean more to me than those of the average Head-Fier.
floatsmile.png

Edit: Actually, I thought about it some more. They're about equal.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #134 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! This is where we differ, actually. Non-audiophile opinions mean more to me than those of the average Head-Fier.
floatsmile.png

I agree completely. Group think is a potentially harmful thing. It can breed as well as perpetuate ignorance, fallacies and strange ideals. It takes an external, uninfluenced party to sometimes point out the obvious.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #135 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely. Group think is a potentially harmful thing. It can breed as well as perpetuate ignorance, fallacies and strange ideals. It takes an external, uninfluenced party to sometimes point out the obvious.

Why? 99% of non-audiophiles will choose comfort and bass over quality and balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back