K-702 vs. HD-800 Blind Test...on my girlfriend
Mar 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #136 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another way to look at it is the K701/2 has rolled off treble. It also has rolled off bass, and a peak at around 8kHz.

Not mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny to say that. I remember the days that people complained about the piercing highs of the K701. But I guess these days are over now with the new generation.

Days of hearing highs correctly? Probably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. The opinions of the average Head-Fi'er mean a lot more to me than those of some random non-audiophile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? 99% of non-audiophiles will choose comfort and bass over quality and balance.

Non-"audiophiles" can pick differences right away because they have not disappeared up their own ass looking for things that aren't there.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #137 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely. Group think is a potentially harmful thing. It can breed as well as perpetuate ignorance, fallacies and strange ideals. It takes an external, uninfluenced party to sometimes point out the obvious.

I suspect that "an external, uninfluenced party" generally points out the random.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #138 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely. Group think is a potentially harmful thing. It can breed as well as perpetuate ignorance, fallacies and strange ideals. It takes an external, uninfluenced party to sometimes point out the obvious.

You're right about individual vs group-based thinking, but I never said anything about that. You've introduced another variable. All I'm saying is that your average Joe will generally be less experienced with good audio than a lot of Head-Fi'ers, most of whom I would think actually care about the proper reproduction of music.

Just look at Suze Orman...would you rather seek her council on audio or a head-fi'er's?

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #139 of 164
Quote:

You're right about individual vs group-based thinking, but I never said anything about that. You've introduced another variable. All I'm saying is that your average Joe will generally be less experienced with good audio than a lot of Head-Fi'ers, most of whom I would think actually care about the proper reproduction of music.

Just look at Suze Orman...would you rather seek her council on audio or a head-fi'er's?

Well, there's no point inviting advice from individual non-audiophiles. In the same way there are apparent audiophiles here whose advice is the last thing I'd personally take. I find Beagle's comment to be particularly humorous, but to the point.

Look at it this way, if I get the genuine att'n of a 'non-audiophile', I find their opinion to be as valuable as that of an audiophile whose opinion I'll consider.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #140 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Non-"audiophiles" can pick differences right away because they have not disappeared up their own ass looking for things that aren't there.

I understand the sheep-effect, this isn't it. Non-"audiophiles" look for comfort first and foremost and will almost always choose the warmer headphone. Non-"audiophiles" listen out for bass, the more bass a headphone has the better it is. This is why newcomers 9 times out of 10 are looking for bassy headphones, myself included... my first real headphone after being 'initiated' was the Sony SA3000, a very bass-light headphone.

People whom build thousand dollar systems around headphones more suit your homology.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #141 of 164
Quote:

It strange to me that here on head-fi there are those who think that lack of experience, interest and knowledge is a positive!

But I do think that where we sometimes get hung up is the "this sucks, that one blows another away" kind of comments. If there is one thing about head-fi, the majority of the phones popular here are at least pretty good, a really horrible unit wouldn't stand a chance to become really popular, I suspect.

For example, out of my full-size phone collection, my K-701 are probably my third to least favorite phone and I still think it's pretty darn good!

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #142 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Non-"audiophiles" listen out for bass, the more bass a headphone has the better it is.

If they are told by marketing that bass is best, or they believe that bass booming from car speakers is what music is all about, then they will gravitate to bass heavy headphones. Those are non-audiophile idiots. But not all non-audiophiles are idiots.

My policy has been that if (during auditioning) you can hear the bass right away, it's too bassy. If you have to wait and let the bass and treble come to you, it's probably right. I had this experience with the HD800 and Grado SR200.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #143 of 164
The best opinion is found from an audiophile who has been untouched by the likes of Head-Fi. There are many possible downsides to tainted audiophiles and non-audiophiles.

Non-audiophiles first of all have no critical listening skills, meaning they judge it by clarity and comfort, and likely bass quantity.

Tainted audiophiles are likely to form their opinions around what they read on forums.

Non-tainted audiophiles will tell you what they hear and their own personal opinion on it.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #144 of 164
Quote:

Not mine.

Your opinion, which is not backed by the given quantitative data. I have heard a K701, and thought it did indeed have rolled off bass and treble, with a peak somewhere in the upper midrange or treble.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #145 of 164
Honestly, Acix, you make a lot of posts on this forum site. A LOT. I actually see your icon above a post and purposely skip over it, because I've learned that 100% of your posts are biased BS.

Why didn't you try the GMP monitor BS on her? Seems like that's all you ever cared about when it come to helping this community pick the right headphone to waste money on.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Engineers will always know more than everyone else, that's their profession of course!

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #147 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your opinion, which is not backed by the given quantitative data. I have heard a K701, and thought it did indeed have rolled off bass and treble, with a peak somewhere in the upper midrange or treble.

So what do we do now?

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #148 of 164
Quote:

So what do we do now?

You can go on liking the K701 and I can go on disliking it, I suppose. As long as you don't push it in every thread and I don't bash it in every thread, everything will be dandy.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #149 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best opinion is found from an audiophile who has been untouched by the likes of Head-Fi. There are many possible downsides to tainted audiophiles and non-audiophiles.

Non-audiophiles first of all have no critical listening skills, meaning they judge it by clarity and comfort, and likely bass quantity.

Tainted audiophiles are likely to form their opinions around what they read on forums.

Non-tainted audiophiles will tell you what they hear and their own personal opinion on it.

I like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #150 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by FragViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, Acix, you make a lot of posts on this forum site. A LOT. I actually see your icon above a post and purposely skip over it, because I've learned that 100% of your posts are biased BS.

Why didn't you try the GMP monitor BS on her? Seems like that's all you ever cared about when it come to helping this community pick the right headphone to waste money on.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Engineers will always know more than everyone else, that's their profession of course!

I don't understand how people's panties get so twisted over someone else's opinions. This hobby is completely subjective. Why should we care what someone else believes when it comes to what we enjoy. The best advice that I see given on this site is to have people audition the products themselves, and make their own decision.

Coke > Pepsi
NY pizza > Chicago
N.E. Clam Chowder > Manhatten
Redskins > Cowboys

If any of you disagree with me, go die in a fire
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back