JVC Marshmallows V2 are here! Introducing the JVC HA-FX66!
Oct 26, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #151 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez, man- you drive with headphones on? Thats pretty hardcore.

Help me out here: Does "hardcore" mean "dangerous" or "illegal"?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #152 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audelic Norm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This mirrors what I have found. The Bass sounds is a little thin for my ears and the isolation is not as good as the Marshmallows. It is because JVC ported the unit. Outside sounds comes in through the port and into your ears by design. The trick is putting a small diameter hole in the office tape that you place over the small port hole. See the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbuSYk4FNXE

Try the mod and see how it sounds. It is very easy to do and reverse if it does not help. No harm done. So far I have gotten no feedback from anyone who has a lot of experience with headphones and has tried the mod.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...36&postcount=1

Maybe we haven't tried the mod because we don't agree the bass is thin?

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #153 of 170
I bought a pair of black & red HA-FX 66's at Heathrow on Sunday, 20 pounds, ($40), having failed to find them on the high street. I'm very pleased with them, comfortable, and the sound seems to be improving all the time. Thanks for the tip.

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #154 of 170
I picked up some of these yesterday. Very comfey are the cushins, but abit flimsy to make a tight seal. With the Large ones it fit my ears OK.

It was weird, I stuffed them on my ear and I thought I was getting a good seal. I started to listen to François K's BBC One's Essential Mix. The seal was off, the right ear sounded better than the left, the bass was off-set. I looked in my pocket down to pull out my DAP ... and all the bass was gone on both ears! I thought WTH is going on?

I looked around my desk to find the other tips and see if any of them would perform better, and the bass was back & off set again. I bent my head down and touched my chin to my chest ... and the bass was gone again. So I tiled my head back as far i could, and LOADS of bass was in both ears!?!?!?

Do I have large, odd shaped canals, that change/distort when I tilt my head back and forth? Has anyone else experienced this?

I tried these with my large Shure Foamies...they fit perfectly snug in my ears...but there was not as much bass as there was with the large cushins & my head tiled back.

I'll have to visit my friend Sue, who owns Shure E2C's, and try out all her extra tips, and see which of those perform better. I hope the E2's black olives fit better, or the heavy duty clear silicones.

-----

Anywho, if I just push them, just so, in my ears (instead of shoving them deep) I get a nice good seal & the bass. The sound quality is way better than the FX33's/Marshmallows. Deeper, cleaner bass, crisper cleaner mids & highs (no need to Kramer them IMO). I really like these buggers alot, if I can get a nice seal. I wish there was a tip, large, that was was flexable like the Shure black olives, but stiffer like the clear silicone ones but not as stiff.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #155 of 170
try inserting them over the ears a la shure, but switching L with R.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up some of these yesterday. Very comfey are the cushins, but abit flimsy to make a tight seal. With the Large ones it fit my ears OK.

It was weird, I stuffed them on my ear and I thought I was getting a good seal. I started to listen to François K's BBC One's Essential Mix. The seal was off, the right ear sounded better than the left, the bass was off-set. I looked in my pocket down to pull out my DAP ... and all the bass was gone on both ears! I thought WTH is going on?

I looked around my desk to find the other tips and see if any of them would perform better, and the bass was back & off set again. I bent my head down and touched my chin to my chest ... and the bass was gone again. So I tiled my head back as far i could, and LOADS of bass was in both ears!?!?!?

Do I have large, odd shaped canals, that change/distort when I tilt my head back and forth? Has anyone else experienced this?

I tried these with my large Shure Foamies...they fit perfectly snug in my ears...but there was not as much bass as there was with the large cushins & my head tiled back.

I'll have to visit my friend Sue, who owns Shure E2C's, and try out all her extra tips, and see which of those perform better. I hope the E2's black olives fit better, or the heavy duty clear silicones.

-----

Anywho, if I just push them, just so, in my ears (instead of shoving them deep) I get a nice good seal & the bass. The sound quality is way better than the FX33's/Marshmallows. Deeper, cleaner bass, crisper cleaner mids & highs (no need to Kramer them IMO). I really like these buggers alot, if I can get a nice seal. I wish there was a tip, large, that was was flexable like the Shure black olives, but stiffer like the clear silicone ones but not as stiff.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #156 of 170
i might pick them up... or i might wait for a deal.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #157 of 170
So far I like Shure E2 Black Olives, and some light gray/lightly textured rubber tips. They fit better than the stock cushions.

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #158 of 170
Hello. Can anyone tell me what the cord is like on the FX66? I have some cheap Panasonics with a really thin stiff cord and it retains a coil that makes them almost unusable. I've been looking for a good quality earbud with a softer cord that will just stay limp and not coil up. Thanks.

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #159 of 170
Another pair of earphones to consider are the lesser known iSecureFit MK-650 earphones. I bought a pair at Walmart for $20 and am amazed. They really do sound better than my Shure110E and Sennheiser CX300 earphones. Great Bass Mids and highs. For $20 they are worth a try.

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #164 of 170
To whoever said the foamies on they're old ones got stiff, mine did too. Foam tends to compress after a while and oils make them clogged.

To fix this, run it under warm water and kneed it with your hands and basically just wash them. It makes a world of difference. So much softer! It feels good as new (didn't realize I had a backup pair either that they came with).

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #165 of 170
Well, since mostly everyone's praising these new canalphones, let's get critical. How do these measure up (SQ and isolation-wise)with more expensive IEMs, such as Super.fi 5 Pros, Q-jays, Atrios M5, Westone EM2, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back