JVC Marshmallows V2 are here! Introducing the JVC HA-FX66!
Feb 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #166 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, since mostly everyone's praising these new canalphones, let's get critical. How do these measure up (SQ and isolation-wise)with more expensive IEMs, such as Super.fi 5 Pros, Q-jays, Atrios M5, Westone EM2, etc?

As far as Shure E4c, ER4P/S, Super.Fi 5 Pro, H/K EP720 the HA-FX66 do not even come close to their sound in any category. On the other hand the FX66 cost $30 dollars and any of the IEMs I listed cost a lot more except the EP720 which is about 80 and is far far better then FX66 but the EP720 (and IM616) both suffer stupid design. I.e. they're not as convenient as the FX66 and have horrible microphonic cable. If you can spare the extra money to go for ER6i/EP720/IM616 you should as long as you can live with the comfort trade offs.

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #167 of 170
I'd like to second the cord question. I have some vibe's that the cord has gotten so stiff that it's like bailing wire. They're almost unusable. Do the AC's have a soft cord, or is it that shiny/smooth one like the vibe's?

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #169 of 170
I finally got tired of traveling back and forth on an airplane to get to and from the North Slope because I always had to get my seat reserved late which meant I'd often get the window seat right next to the outlet on the jet engines. I tried to meet this problem with Noise-Canceling headphones but got tired of it quickly because the pair I have (the Panasonics in my sig.) have a slightly muffled sound and are fairly bulky. I had snagged a pair of Marshmallow (FX-33) for my sister to use as ear plugs during the night. I was fairly happy with their sound signature, but wanted a bit better and my sister wouldn't let me try the Kramer Mod on them, so I figured I'd drop the extra $5 to get these. I couldn't be happier. The highs are much more present on these than the unmodded FX-33 and the bass is just right for me, although, this being my first pair of IEM's I had to get used to the idea of the bass being channeled into my ear as opposed to being present around my ear. Comfort wise, I still haven't tried them with the foamies-I'm rather happy with the silicone ear bits, particularly the smallest size ones which fit into my ears much more easily than the default mediums. I also like the cable, which doesn't feel too stiff and coils/uncoils rather easily for me. My only real gripe with the cables is the actual point at which they connect to the drivers-I always feel I'm going to place too much stress at these points and shear the cable through, but so far, they have worked very well. Overall, as a first IEM, I'm glad I snagged these FX-66. Unfortunately, they are sensitive enough to demonstrate the hiss on my Archos AV604 and Sony E507 very prominently, which means I've switched back to my cleaner MD-N707 MiniDisc player until I can....gulp....upgrade my DAP.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #170 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got tired of traveling back and forth on an airplane to get to and from the North Slope because I always had to get my seat reserved late which meant I'd often get the window seat right next to the outlet on the jet engines. I tried to meet this problem with Noise-Canceling headphones but got tired of it quickly because the pair I have (the Panasonics in my sig.) have a slightly muffled sound and are fairly bulky. I had snagged a pair of Marshmallow (FX-33) for my sister to use as ear plugs during the night. I was fairly happy with their sound signature, but wanted a bit better and my sister wouldn't let me try the Kramer Mod on them, so I figured I'd drop the extra $5 to get these. I couldn't be happier. The highs are much more present on these than the unmodded FX-33 and the bass is just right for me, although, this being my first pair of IEM's I had to get used to the idea of the bass being channeled into my ear as opposed to being present around my ear. Comfort wise, I still haven't tried them with the foamies-I'm rather happy with the silicone ear bits, particularly the smallest size ones which fit into my ears much more easily than the default mediums. I also like the cable, which doesn't feel too stiff and coils/uncoils rather easily for me. My only real gripe with the cables is the actual point at which they connect to the drivers-I always feel I'm going to place too much stress at these points and shear the cable through, but so far, they have worked very well. Overall, as a first IEM, I'm glad I snagged these FX-66. Unfortunately, they are sensitive enough to demonstrate the hiss on my Archos AV604 and Sony E507 very prominently, which means I've switched back to my cleaner MD-N707 MiniDisc player until I can....gulp....upgrade my DAP.

If you like the feeling of bass surrounding your ear, rather than being channeled into your ear, then check out the Atrio M5, which seem to provide the most non-IEM sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back