JVC Marshmallows V2 are here! Introducing the JVC HA-FX66!
Oct 7, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 170
I took a dinner break and put them back on right now.

The first thing that struck me after the break was a ton of bass, a little midrange suckout, and a some high end siblance. I had to double check and confirm the EQ was set off, and not on loudness or rock.

Nothing that is a deal breaker, and when compared direct A-B they are better than the Marshmallow FX33, plus I don't expect too much for the price. Out of the box they are not quite yet an ER6i with bass boost out of the box. I am gonna let them burn-in with the PenguinAmp "Caffeine" that I have at about 104 hours so far, as I get ready to review it.

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 170
A bit nitpicky on my part but let's stop calling them V2 marshmallows. They are Air Cushions and not Marshmallows. The foam tips were redesigned and aren't like marshmallows anymore. The fx33 are the only Marshmallow while the fx22/fx55/fx66/fx77 aren't. It's kinda the same thing as the Westone UM3 if you know what I'm saying.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #20 of 170
Yeah, and those aren't the UM3, the're the Westone 3
tongue.gif

I have the FX66 Air Cushions burning in now while I watch the Rockies play the Phillies...

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #22 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit nitpicky on my part but let's stop calling them V2 marshmallows. They are Air Cushions and not Marshmallows. The foam tips were redesigned and aren't like marshmallows anymore. The fx33 are the only Marshmallow while the fx22/fx55/fx66/fx77 aren't. It's kinda the same thing as the Westone UM3 if you know what I'm saying.

Let's call them....uh....mmm....errrrrr....the AirCush's (pronounced AirCoosh)?

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #24 of 170
Anybody compared them to MylarOne XBs yet?

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #26 of 170
Wow, and right after I started to like my marshmallows (break-in and shure tips, one or the other or both, kramer mod too). At least I'll have an excuse to get a color to match my I7 and not have this pink/white/black/silver confusion.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #28 of 170
Well, In addition to my other 2 posts reviewing these.

With 24 hours of burning-in the sibilance is gone. I still think these are very nice earphones, although they are still a little bass heavy, with a slight sucked in midrange. But, if someone had handed these to me and said they were a $100 earphone I wouldn't have argued much.

They don't have the detail of an ER6i, but I can't say it is worth spending 2-3x the cost of the FX66 to get the Ety's if you are on a budget. The ER6i on a cmoy bass boost or Penguin Caffeine with bass boost is more acceptable, but still can't quite match the bass on the AirCushion with the EQ off!

The FX33 are totally veiled and muddy compared to these, and mine have the same number of hours on them (24hr). These are brighter without being sharp, and punchier without being as muddy, and isolate better while being more comfortable.

I would have to say they sound totally unrelated to the FX33 - If you have JVC Marshmallows, Sennheiser CX300, Shure E2c, Bose IE, ipod buds, Koss plugs or Sony EX51LP (all the ones I have heard or have) - simply direct them to the trash can, and friend or the FS forum, and buy some Air Cushions...

If you already have some ER6i, just buy Shure black olive foams and a PenguinAmp.com "Caffeine" amp with bass boost.

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #30 of 170
Thanks for the mini-review! I would imagine that the next question would be how these compare to the X3's or XB's.

First post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back