JVC Marshmallow @ $10
Jun 29, 2007 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

[AK]Zip

Member of the Trade: APureSound
I came across this great deal so I felt like sharing with the rest of head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Black: HERE

Blue: HERE

Enjoy!

-Alex-

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 33
i bought a pair of white ones, i modded them, used CX300 tips on them, and i arrived at the conclusion that,
1)they have NO isolation
2)they have this horrible scraping sound,
3)that i rather pay a bit more and have KSC75´s

who ever started the FX33 craze should be smacked, those headphones are horrible,

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bought a pair of white ones, i modded them, used CX300 tips on them, and i arrived at the conclusion that,
1)they have NO isolation

who ever started the FX33 craze should be smacked, those headphones are horrible,

Although they are not horrible, I do believe they are nothing much.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1)they have NO isolation

They're easily available in many electronics stores and as you've discovered, easily moddable. No, it doesn't scream refinement or class, but it's easy on poorly recorded/encoded files for unamped, portable use and they have a rather fun sound characteristic to them. Small footprint, quite stylish looking, imo with a nicely lengthed, non-microphonic cord and a straight 1/8" headphone jack as opposed to that 90 degree angle crap you see on a lot of cheap phones.

After saying all that, the fact that they are as cheap as they are, $10-$20 in most average consumer electronic shops, I'd say they are a bargain.

And to deal with your issues:

1) I've tried various foamies that isolate VERY well with these guys. Heck, the stock, rock hard foam tips isolate quite well if you warm them up with the heat from your palm for a few seconds before insertion. I'm fairly certain the tips you're using are the issue here, not the JVC's themselves. Try getting a better fit and get back to us.

2) Don't know what scraping sound you're talking about. If you're talking about the sound signature of the headphones, do you have a track that it's most noticeable on? If it's the cord you're talking about, I found it to be rather "friction" friendly, masking much of the microphonic fuss I had with my old Koss Sparkplugs if I remember correctly.

3) Great to see you have an opinion. I've never heard KSC-75's, so I can't really tell which I'd say had the edge. From what I've read, however, Koss' 60ohm offerings do slap the FX-33's around, especially considering their similar price point. However, it's an issue of the individual's application. If they wanted portable headphones that were smaller, isolated AT ALL, and/or with a slightly warmer sound signature when compared to the KSC-75, the FX-33 would be a good alternative, wouldn't you say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came across this great deal so I felt like sharing with the rest of head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Black: HERE

Blue: HERE

Enjoy!

-Alex-

Thanks for sharing, Alex. I thought Circuit City had a similar deal going on a while back, but it was only with a mail-in-rebate or something. Nice to see they may have lowered the price on these little gems once again.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're easily available in many electronics stores and as you've discovered, easily moddable. No, it doesn't scream refinement or class, but it's easy on poorly recorded/encoded files for unamped, portable use and they have a rather fun sound characteristic to them. Small footprint, quite stylish looking, imo with a nicely lengthed, non-microphonic cord and a straight 1/8" headphone jack as opposed to that 90 degree angle crap you see on a lot of cheap phones.

After saying all that, the fact that they are as cheap as they are, $10-$20 in most average consumer electronic shops, I'd say they are a bargain.

And to deal with your issues:

1) I've tried various foamies that isolate VERY well with these guys. Heck, the stock, rock hard foam tips isolate quite well if you warm them up with the heat from your palm for a few seconds before insertion. I'm fairly certain the tips you're using are the issue here, not the JVC's themselves. Try getting a better fit and get back to us.

2) Don't know what scraping sound you're talking about. If you're talking about the sound signature of the headphones, do you have a track that it's most noticeable on? If it's the cord you're talking about, I found it to be rather "friction" friendly, masking much of the microphonic fuss I had with my old Koss Sparkplugs if I remember correctly.

3) Great to see you have an opinion. I've never heard KSC-75's, so I can't really tell which I'd say had the edge. From what I've read, however, Koss' 60ohm offerings do slap the FX-33's around, especially considering their similar price point. However, it's an issue of the individual's application. If they wanted portable headphones that were smaller, isolated AT ALL, and/or with a slightly warmer sound signature when compared to the KSC-75, the FX-33 would be a good alternative, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for sharing, Alex. I thought Circuit City had a similar deal going on a while back, but it was only with a mail-in-rebate or something. Nice to see they may have lowered the price on these little gems once again.

[AK]Zip, thanks for the heads up, I purchased two (Black and Blue). They seem to work great w/stock earplugs, great bass impact. I plan on doing the KRAMER5150 JVC Marshmallow mod.. $10.00, what a bargain!

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 33
I purchased these at a local best buy and they were very cheap and for 10$ i think they are a bargain. They definitely are not hi-fi but they do sound a lot better than the iBuds. they definitely are a simple solution if you need earphones that do not leak sound or if you needs basic isolation (ie. library, bus, plane).

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 33
I just got some last night! Thanks for the link. Obviously you can't compare these to $100 IEM's, but for $10 they sound great. I tried some classic early '90's rap and the marshmellows handle the deep bass really well. Treble and mids are great also. I did notice if not pushed in the ear all the way it will sound like crap.

These will work great when mowing the yard.

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 33
I decided to go for it and ordered the blue ones. May as well give canalphones a shot.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 33
The price is online only--I know because when I asked CC about the in-store price being higher they said any "blah blah savings" online is only online. Still not bad but I've seen them going for $12.99 most places, not really anything special. Add in shipping and it's just as much picking them up at Wally World.

Or I could be wrong but that was the case with me.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 33
qazwsx: I've seen 'em go for $20+ at Best Buy, Sam Goody, Comp USA and Fry's, so I'm pretty sure that $12 deal you saw is discounted. $10+ shipping is a great deal on these.

freeone-j: I was quite fond of that post as well, but were you planning on referring to something in it, or just quoting it? I'm a little confused.

Also, it's good to see other's still liking these things. I was a little skeptical of them at first, but they definitely serve their purpose. Cheap (semi-disposable if you will) headphones that provide good sound relative to other cheap-fi offerings. Sure they can sound a bit tinny, the bass isn't the tightest or most refined, and the mids are pushed abnormally forward, but as I said before they're a fun listen while on the go, and for the price you can't really complain. If you were looking for a quick replacement for your iBuds, or simply wanted to train your ears a little bit before going full IEM (to see if you could endure the fit/feel of IEM's) the JVC's are a great option to have.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qazwsx: I've seen 'em go for $20+ at Best Buy, Sam Goody, Comp USA and Fry's, so I'm pretty sure that $12 deal you saw is discounted. $10+ shipping is a great deal on these.

Buy.com and TigerDirect have them for $12.99, checked a day ago for both--but the site hasn't updated the CC price of $10.

http://compare123.com/Electronics/Co...vc+marshmallow

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy.com and TigerDirect have them for $12.99, checked a day ago for both--but the site hasn't updated the CC price of $10.

http://compare123.com/Electronics/Co...vc+marshmallow

Yup, plus shipping you're probably at around $15-$20. (i.e. Buy.com Total Price: $18.05) The difference in price isn't that large going from this Circuit City special to driving out to your local electronics shop and paying full price, but it's just a nice little bonus. I personally paid $20+ shipping from Musician's Friend for my pair and have no complaints other than the crap batch spam emails they keep sending me.

Imo, the "deal" isn't exactly Circuit City cutting us a break on an otherwise overly expensive item; it's JVC making a heck of a canal phone for $20 or less. We sure appreciate the slight price cut, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back