JVC HP-DX1000s.... Opinions?
Jan 11, 2006 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine (whom, I swear has every headphone ever made) sent me a pair of these a while ago to try out and I thought they were really great cans. Overpriced, but really good nonetheless. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion of them are, I've never seen them mentioned.

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Cool, thanks. It isn't like this thread is taking up space though, is it?
confused.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 10
the thread starters of the three threads tkam linked to pretty much account for all the people who own or have owned the DX1000 on Head-Fi (as far as I know Jasonharkin is the only other person to own one, at least for a short while). I guess this makes the DX1000 one of the most reviewed headphones on Head-Fi, with three of four owners (AFAIK) putting up a lengthy post on them.

they seem to be a headphone with highly polarized opinions though, and that probably accounts for the lack of DX1000's on Head-Fi, along with its high price. my pair were at the San Jose meet and some people liked it, although that wasn't the majority opinion from what I can tell.

I agree that the price might be a bit high for the performance it delivers, but if you go by the Japan street price (which is around 80,000 yen to 100,000 yen) it is more reasonable than the $1200+ you pay through audiocubes.

despite their acceptance on Head-Fi, they seem to be very well regarded in Japan and seem to be one of the top picks within current production headphones.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 10
I never did hear a conclusive report on how dark/bright the DX1000s are. Some people have suggested they are dark like the HD650s, and others have disagreed. Where exactly do they fit, relative to say, the K701s?

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm still very curious about these 'phones. I'm looking for a high-end closed can. Unfortunately, all of the reviews were inconclusive, imo. Seems like a difficult can to put your finger on exactly, and that makes people gun-shy about plopping down US$1200+ on such a gamble. Especially when used prices were not much more than half that. IIRC, soupy also had a problem with the first pair he received. Not sure what happened with the repair/replacement.

If some place with a 30-day return policy sold them, I'd definitely try them. Or if they sold for $700-800 from Japan, I'd be much more inclined to try them, even without a return policy.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Impossible to describe! They have a rolled off treble, and relatively smooth but slow bass response. They are very peaky however in the mids/upper mids, giving a kind of 'nasal' sound, at least with classical music. They are very comfortable, nicely built and have an interesting soundstage (if somewhat distant), however are a very long way away from neutral. You are talking about a completely different kind of sound world from the rather less colourful (in a good way IMO) 650 or 701.

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I'm still very curious about these 'phones. I'm looking for a high-end closed can. Unfortunately, all of the reviews were inconclusive, imo. Seems like a difficult can to put your finger on exactly, and that makes people gun-shy about plopping down US$1200+ on such a gamble.

I'm in the same boat as you.

Finding nice looking, good sounding, comfortable closed cans with impedance low enough to be driven by a portible amp is quite a challenge, and the DX1000, while not neutral, definatly sounds like a candidate, but it's so hard to find anything conclusive about them...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Impossible to describe! They have a rolled off treble, and relatively smooth but slow bass response. They are very peaky however in the mids/upper mids, giving a kind of 'nasal' sound, at least with classical music. They are very comfortable, nicely built and have an interesting soundstage (if somewhat distant), however are a very long way away from neutral. You are talking about a completely different kind of sound world from the rather less colourful (in a good way IMO) 650 or 701.

So they have that typical "high-end-Japanese" sound of musical-but-quiet bass, everpresent mids, and smoothed over treble then? How does it compare to an older Stax headphone, or a W-series Audio Technica?

From the various reviews I've seen, I think I'd quite enjoy the soundstaging on the DX1000, but I'm worried about the tonal balance.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Unfortunately, all of the reviews were inconclusive, imo. Seems like a difficult can to put your finger on exactly, and that makes people gun-shy about plopping down US$1200+ on such a gamble. Especially when used prices were not much more than half that. IIRC, soupy also had a problem with the first pair he received. Not sure what happened with the repair/replacement.

that's a shame... I'm sure we all tried our best and put forth our best efforts.
tongue.gif
I'll try to get more comments out on it based on the feedback in this thread, but the review I already put up IMO describes it fairly well. like you said, it is a very unique headphone that's hard to describe to someone who hasn't heard it before.

as for soupy's pair, it was replaced successfully, although it took a while and the help of a kind Head-Fier in Tokyo to coordinate the shipping and transaction. (I worked out the details and managed to get the shop to replace his can, but I was leaving Japan soon so couldn't help out with the actual exchange. technically the warranty is only valid in Japan and since soupy was trying to get it repaired from overseas the store didn't have to do a thing, but because I buy lots of stuff from them, they were kind and worked it out, although with some restrictions such as them not taking part in the international shipping of the can.... I guess this is a warning to people buying stuff in/from Japan to have some plan in place just in case the warranty needs to be used. sites like PriceJapan and audiocubes handle warranty issues so they won't be a problem, so I guess this is an issue mostly when you buy something yourself while on a trip to Japan.)

anyways, I doubt it is an issue that occurs frequently though. I haven't read anything about it on Japanese websites so far, and I doubt it would be getting the rave that it currently has in the 2ch.net headphone threads if it was a generally defective headphone either. Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Impossible to describe!

I agree!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back