JVC HARX700 good for entry?
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kevzaz

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a nice pair of entry level headphones. And as a poor college student I want something cheap, but I am willing to throw a few dollars around. I was looking at the JVC HARX700 as they will come to under 40 dollars. I listen to literally everything, and thinking of using it when I play COD. Are the JVC's a good pair for me?

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Yes. I've had the rx700 for several years now, and I still listen to them on a regular basis. They certainly aren't the best cans I've heard, but they are superb value for the money. They are also my "go to" headphones for gaming - I use them with an auzentech x-fi forte. I think they benefit from the soundcard's built in headphone amp, but they don't require an amp to sound damn good. My only complaint is that they are by far the goofiest looking headphones I own, not that I would ever use them with a portable though.

Note that the sound will be far better after some burn-in time, and as the last poster mentioned the mods are simple and effective.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hazardous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I've had the rx700 for several years now, and I still listen to them on a regular basis. They certainly aren't the best cans I've heard, but they are superb value for the money. They are also my "go to" headphones for gaming - I use them with an auzentech x-fi forte. I think they benefit from the soundcard's built in headphone amp, but they don't require an amp to sound damn good. My only complaint is that they are by far the goofiest looking headphones I own, not that I would ever use them with a portable though.

Note that the sound will be far better after some burn-in time, and as the last poster mentioned the mods are simple and effective.

Thanks! I don't think they are too goofy looking. I want to use them on my PS3, how would I go about that? Note that I don't have a headphone jack on my TV.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 13
ah I heard COD and assumed pc and not ps3. Hmm no headphone jack on tv huh? I dont have a ps3 but I think you just need to get an adapter to go from the red and white rca jacks on the plug into a Y splitter, and then into to a single 3.5mm female to plug in headphones. That should work for composite or component setups. If you are using HDMI you'll have to plug in both the HDMI and the composite but just leave the yellow plug dangling and don't plug it into anything as the hdmi will then be video only. Hope that made sense.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hazardous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah I heard COD and assumed pc and not ps3. Hmm no headphone jack on tv huh? I dont have a ps3 but I think you just need to get an adapter to go from the red and white rca jacks on the plug into a Y splitter, and then into to a single 3.5mm female to plug in headphones. That should work for composite or component setups. If you are using HDMI you'll have to plug in both the HDMI and the composite but just leave the yellow plug dangling and don't plug it into anything as the hdmi will then be video only. Hope that made sense.

That makes lots of sense, thank you!

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by furyagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about some second hand ??
like grado sr60
or just get a CAL ? (new around 55 us)

I'm really trying to get something cheap, below 50. And I want something that will keep all sound out and in. (closed?)

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevzaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really trying to get something cheap, below 50. And I want something that will keep all sound out and in. (closed?)

HARX700 doesn't isolate too well, at least compared with most IEMs. I am using them with my desktop, but I can still hear the PC's fans, especially between songs.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevzaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HA-RX700's are not closed though they do a fairly good job at isolating.

If you want VERY good isolation and comfort try the Auvio 33-279. Just bought these yesterday to try in bed. They were a little bright and the bass was... off out of the box but after about 24 hours or so they sounded quite nice.

I still thought they could sound better so I opened them up and installed some cheap vinyl damping sheet from PartsExpress followed by long wool (could be substituted with pillow stuffing or whatever) followed by a thin piece of open cell foam. You'll also want to ditch the crappy hard felt that covers the driver grill. Actually most of the mods that I did to these are much the same as the mods that have been posted for the JVC's.

I must say that after mods and burn-in I much prefer the Auvio's over my modded RX700's. The Auvio's are MUCH lighter also.

Try'em. If you hate them RadioShack has a 30-day return policy so no sweat.

Price: $50

EDIT: Lying here listening to Fleetwood Mac: Rumors and I must say... nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 13
I have honestly never heard MJ's Man in the Mirror sound this good! These phones are pretty damned awesome for $50 and a couple of easy mods. Please excuse my exuberance but - I've been looking for a cheap pair of good sounding phones for bed for quite a while now. I am very happy right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back